Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: National flights to and from Skukuza
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:41 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I think no. Not without major upgrading of the landing strip, which is probably too short and not able to handle heavy, wide-body, "Boeing-sized" planes. More likely the SA Airlink type of aircraft (Jetstream I think), which can only carry about 30 passengers, will fly the route.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:54 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
There is an international airport just outside of Kruger. I do not think they will close it down and re-route the aircraft into and out of the Kruger :hmz: :doh:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:11 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Agreed!

I don't think we need worry for reasons stated above.

They might open it for stinking rich for the proposed hotels, but the big planes won't land there.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:29 pm 

The Skukuza airport is situated between the Sabie and Sand River low water bridges. During our rainfall season both these bridges quite often become impassable due to flooding.
My question: how will guests be moved to and from the airport?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:42 pm 

Please note Stephens reply to an earlier enquiry.

Stephens.L wrote:
Daer Mfezi

Please note that a proposal to re-open the Skukuza Airport has been submitted to SANParks Board for approval. Once the board approves, a tender will be advertised. It is only then that we will know about car rental and other things.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:57 pm 

Thanks saraf, I assume then that the board hasn't approved it yet.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:40 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Dabchick wrote:
I think no. Not without major upgrading of the landing strip, which is probably too short and not able to handle heavy, wide-body, "Boeing-sized" planes. More likely the SA Airlink type of aircraft (Jetstream I think), which can only carry about 30 passengers, will fly the route.

Approx 30 - 50 seat F27 Fokker Friendship used to do the Jhb - Skukuza - Phalaborwa shuttle untill the turn of the century .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:48 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
Agreed!

I don't think we need worry for reasons stated above.

They might open it for stinking rich for the proposed hotels, but the big planes won't land there.

I think the main beneficiaries will be the private lodges inside and outside of the Kruger. Instead of a 2-3 hour drive to the airport (KMIA) you will have a far shorter drive to get to the camps in the Sabi Sands.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The private reserves guests made up the largest proportion of traffic through Skukuza .
A strip was built in Sabi sand close to Mala Mala - if I recall SanParks was unhappy with the impact of the traffic , so why it is being reconsidered is beyond my understanding .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

ndloti wrote:
so why it is being reconsidered is beyond my understanding .
It is most certainly not beyond my understanding. Closing Skukuza to scheduled commercial flights and thus forcing them to move to the biggest White Elephant in all of Africa (KMIA) is one of the dumber things SANParks have done.

I used to fly in and out of Skukuza all the time (so often that I got to know the pilots and could fly in the cockpit jump seat), it was very convenient, much more so than Eastgate (Hoedspruit), Phalaborwa and the old Nelspruit, all of which I used occasionally. I've also flown from Skukuza via Londolozi to Mala Mala. Actually had to fly back to Skukuza because I'd left my binoculars in the car. That cost me R47 in landing fees.

Although scheduled flights were banned, they still allowed (and allow, as far as I know) "scheduled charters". A bit of a loophole, but convenient if you are staying at, say, Rhino Post or Plains Camp. Federal Air will fly you straight in from ORTIA. I've taken those flights quite a few times too, but it only works if you have a reservation for one of the private lodges in the KNP proper.

Johan

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dabchick wrote:
Skukuza's runway is 1,550 x 30 m. That's long enough for a Boeing 738 to land, but not to depart again at maximum takeoff weight. (A 738 is not a widebody, by the way).

Airlink (no longer called SA Airlink) used to serve the old Nelspruit (NLP) with J41s. The runway there was 900 m long, and ended in a precipice. A bit on the tricky side, the airline's pilots had to be specially qualified to operate to that airport. Landing required touching down right on the threshold, and then immediately slamming on the brakes and the slamming props into reverse. Quite fun.

Johan

Post subject: SANParks announces successful operator for Skukuza Airport
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:28 pm 
Guru
Guru

The South African National Parks (SANParks) has today announced the appointment of a preferred operator for the Skukuza Airport in the iconic Kruger National Park.

SANParks, Chief Executive Officer, Dr. David Mabunda said the successful bid was submitted by the Skukuza Airport Management Company (Pty) Ltd jointly owned by Lion Sands, Federal Air and Airlink. The consortium will sign a Public Private Partnership (PPP) agreement with SANParks for a period of ten years.

The announcement follows a lengthy process of technical evaluation and adjudication of bids submitted in response to a Request for Proposals issued in April 2013.

According to Dr. Mabunda this development will benefit SANParks’ long haul clients and those from major centers who will no longer be subjected to a two hour drive from Nelspruit to the Kruger National Park. “We are reliving a tradition that started in 1959 to enhance visitor convenience and experience and we are looking forward to working with our new partners in taking the business of managing national parks assets to another level.”

In reacting to the announcement, Robert More, Lion Sands Co-founder and CEO said it is an absolute privilege to be involved in this venture. “Our lodges are all in close proximity to Skukuza and our customers will benefit significantly from re-opening the Skukuza airport to scheduled air services”.

Carl Trieloff, Commercial Director of Special Projects at Fed Air added, “We are proud to be part of the consortium behind the winning bid. We are looking forward to providing visitors the opportunity to experience a high quality affordable bushveld experience”.

Rodger Foster, Airlink’s CEO responded by saying his company is delighted to be in the consortium and looking forward to delivering scheduled air services to Skukuza, and access to all lodges within the Skukuza precinct. This is going to make travelling to the Kruger National Park simpler and affordable.

Skukuza Airport Management Company will be given access to the Skukuza airport facility from 1 September 2013, in order to commence with the alterations and improvements essential to bringing the airport to the international standard, which will include rehabilitation of the runway.

It is envisaged that the airport upgrades should be substantially completed by 1 November 2013 to achieve the necessary licensing by the SA Civil Aviation Authority (SACAA). It is anticipated that the licensing process will be completed before the first quarter of 2014 with scheduled flights set to commence in March 2014.

In conclusion, Dr. Mabunda said, SANParks was highly impressed with the successful bidder’s operational plan for the airport and its associated air services. “This included a comprehensive environmental management plan to limit the noise impact of operations overarching minimized environmental impact philosophy.”

Issued by:
South African National Parks (SANParks) Corporate Communications
Tel: 012 426 5065

Enquiries:
Reynold “Rey” Thakhuli
SANParks General Manager: PR, Media and Stakeholder Relations
Tel: 012 426 5203 cell: 073 373 4999
Email: rey.thakhuli@sanparks.org

or

Annemi van Jaarsveld
SANParks General Manager: Business Development
Tel:012 426 5027; Cell: 082888145
Email: annemi.vanjaarsveld@sanparks.org

or

Rob More
Lion Sands Co-Founder CEO
Tel: 011 880 9992
Email: Robert@morehotels.co.za

or

Karin Murray
Airlink
Tel: 011 451 7300
Email: karinmurray@flyairlink.com

Tel: (012) 426 5202

Post subject: Re: SANParks announces successful operator for Skukuza Airpo
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:41 pm 

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:cry: :(

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Will only private charters be flying in?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next