Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Length of stay at sightings
Unread postPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:31 pm 

for us personally, we'd move off the 'prime spot' after we've taken in and enjoyed the sighting, and give others a chance to enjoy the view.
but sometime we' dont mind parking off (not in prime spot or traffic jams but still where we can monitor the animal (lions only) specifically if there is chance of them getting up/hunting if there are nearby game.
if ur not hogging the the view and there is place for others basically, i dont think it should b a problem.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:23 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have seen more tempers at sightings than on the William Nicoll in rush hour. :( and that includes taxis.

Sadly, if the perception is that someone is inconsiderate or rude, people can hit the "red zone". It takes a little courtesy to defuse tempers.

I don't stay long at sightings. I am lucky enough to be able to go to Kruger often. I remind myself as I start entering the "red zone" that many are not so fortunate.

I am afraid the selfish behaviour is my "red zone". I don't get angry about not being able to see something, but I do get angry when I see others excluded from a sighting. This indicates an elevated sense of entitlement from the driver.

I have given my daughters one little tip on choosing a boyfriend.. watch how they drive. If they are selfish on the road, they will be selfish in the home.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:06 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We had the following incident this past December:

We were driving back to B & D after a morning drive when we came to a massive traffic jam.
The usual chaos. I said to my kids that we should just make our way through the jam and get back to camp - it probably wasn't worth the sighting anyway. So as I weave my way through the traffic with absolutely no intention of stopping. This very nice man waves to me, shifts his car and as I edge forward to move on, move around the other car, I am now in prime position at a Leopard sighting. Only because the other driver had moved his car so I could drive through. So I point out the Leopard very quickly to my kids (wasn't a brilliant view anyway - quite deep in the bush) and move on. But I was getting a lot of dirty looks from the other drivers :evil:
But I had honestly no intention of forcing my way in to get the best spot, and I stayed at most a minute.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Meandering Mouse wrote:
I have given my daughters one little tip on choosing a boyfriend.. watch how they drive. If they are selfish on the road, they will be selfish in the home.

Great advice MM. My parents would add that the way someone treats animals, domestic or wild gives an indication of someone's compassion! I remember all these tips I received fondly, even though I am now in my late 20s and happily married.. I wonder if my driving is what my wife fell in love with?!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
When it is a Jam we try to get away from the sighting if possible and do not linger. In May we were stuck in the middle of a classic Southern Kruger Traffic Jam where some visitors spotted Sable in the vicinity of the Kruger Tablets and they blocked of the road. It is always best to give another also the opportunity to see the animals. In the Northern Kruger we will stay longer at a sighting as sometimes we are the only car around :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

In Kruger park the rules state no time period at a sighting, but does state the vehicles must be stopped at the side of the sighting toallow vehicles to pass. In Private reserves there is mostly a timeperiod for sightings to allow all OSVs to enter the sighting area. This differs from reserve to reserve.

It is however unfortunate that I had a altercation with an OSV not long ago in Kruger when me and Gipetto was at a sighting and was told we were to long at the sighting and had to leave. This is not at all relevant in Kruger. Just a matter of being nice. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:41 pm 

I agree there is no hard and fast rule but as a general courtesy to other fellow visitors, at a busy sighting in Kruger, we stop next to it, have a look, take our pics and then move on.
I don't enjoy being in the middle of a crush of cars with people getting frustrated, sooner or later someone's car is going to get dented and we would rather it not ours!! :wink:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I just hate it when we are stuck in the middle of a Kruger road block with no way of getting out of it.This happened to us in May, cars were parked all over the place and we had to sit it out, eventually a Sanparks vehicle came and sorted it out thank goodness

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:25 am 

We normally take photos and move on, when it is very busy. i don't want to be in the middle of a argument. :naughty: . Unfortunately one do get, as mentioned above, very very inconsiderate people....

Other instances we just relax and enjoy the sighting. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:14 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

My plan is that if we have found the sighting we stay there for as long as we feel like or move off as soon as there are more than 4 or 5 cars. (which normally have all the windows closed with the engines running so as to keep the aircon working :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: ).

Traffic jams :slap: :slap: just drive past, there are plenty more kilometres still to cover and who knows what awaits you around that next bend.

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished Lao Tzu

Shingwedzi 27/12/14 to 30/12/14
Satara 31/12/14 to 04/01/15
Lower Sabie 05/01/15 to 10/01/15

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:14 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
We have our own family rule, if we are the first and only car at the sighting we stay and as soon as there are more than 3 cars (excluding ours) we move off. When driving along and we come upon more than 3 cars at a particular place, we slow down but if we cannot see anything clearly we drive past. When coming to a huge roadblock with lots of vehicles, we drive past or if there is a lot of traffic blocking a clear route through, we do a U-turn and go back in the direction where we came from. I do not want to be in a traffic jam while on holiday in the Kruger, I also do not want to witness bad behaviour and recklessness. Just as Sparrow said, you never know what is waiting for you around the next corner.

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:04 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I agree, Tent Dweller, sometimes the unexpected happens and you end up sitting in the pound seats.

One of the very worst traffic jams that I encountered was at a bridge where a group of ellies and lions were unhappy with each others presence. I was on my way to a trail and had to push past masses of cars. They were parked on both sides of the road obstructing movement.

The ellies eventually had had enough of the lions and there was one almighty trumpet sound and the lions were chased of.

Because I was the only car not parked in a bunch, I got the best view of the young lions running for their lives.

I even managed a few pictures. A young male a few meters from my car wondering if he should cross the road.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
MM, good on you, most people in the traffic jam did not even get a glimpse of the lion, I think a lot of people actually think that if they don't stop when there is a huge traffic jam that they will not have another chance to see whatever everybody else is looking at. The Kruger never disappoints and if you are a true lover of the park and have the patience that is required and also show the respect that the Kruger deserves I believe that you will have many, many sightings.

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:16 pm 

When we visited the park 2 weeks ago we got to a road block on our way to Bergendal. It was obviously a lion sighting and this HUGE truck full with oversea visitors were standing in the middle of the road next to the lions and didn't move. We were about car no 6 and behind us were about another 10 cars.

At fisrt when we got there we didn't know what they were looking at until we saw 1 lion move. The other cars behind us didn't know what it was and after about 10 minutes without moving forward the cars at the back were starting to hoot and and got very irritated. We felt the same but there were no way past this big truck.

We usually stop and take a few pics and then we move on. But this big truck were just standing there and hogging the sighting. That i feel is very rude. Eventually when there was a gap i squeezed past and SO wanted me to stop when we got past the truck but i just ignored that and drove on. I was obviously in trouble for ignoring her but these traffic jams makes your blood boil.

I obviously feel they must have a restriction on the size of the vehicle that enters the park. These big trucks are so huge that you can't see past them or over them and when they stop nobody can get past.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:48 pm 

Ouch Alf, I feel your pain. :evil:

For me it is also unacceptable to be faced with this type of behavior in Kruger, I have enough of it in Joburg :roll: . One would expect that people visiting places like Kruger are more or less like minded, and would not mind sharing sightings with fellow visitors and also be more considerate.

I guess that is not always the case.