Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Skukuza Golf Club Restaurant
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:31 pm 

Have played countless rounds of golf at the club and had many breakfasts, lunches and dinners there in the past, think best value for money and service in the Kruger, can recommend it 120%!
A shame about the course condition now after the floods, used to be one of the best views onto the dam from the club house while having something to eat/drink. Saw the other day whilst running past the course that they are hard at work restoring the dam wall at the 9th/18th

Post subject: Re: Skukuza Golf Club & Restaurant.
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:02 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Did lunch there last weekend. They are bussy repairing the dam, so the view is not as nice as it used to be. But this will be back to normal soon, and it will once again be a great place to visit.

The food is not bad, but service is rather slow. They do battle when there are many people around, and if you pitch up after a tour group ... you are going to wait around for some time. As we did ...

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:46 pm 

I enjoyed breakfast at the golf club on the 23rd August. Also had breakfast at Lower Sabie next day. Both quality of food and service was vastly superior at the golf club! Choice of 3 breakfast dishes (small, medium & large) ranging from R 33 to R47). The food and service at LS was horribly disappointing!

Post subject: Skukuza Golf Club & Restaurant
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I notice that there are no postings about the Skukuza Golf club since about August 2012. Is this due to flood damage, the course being closed to the general public or what? Just interested as we will be there in August this year. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:40 pm 

I am pretty sure all is perfectly fine with the golf club Impyim, I think many folk don't realise one can go there for light meals etc therefore it doesn't get mentioned too much. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:39 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for letting me know that its still open. When we in Kruger in 2008 we didn't actually think the meals in the restaurants was very good. So the fact that there is a restaurant at the Golf Club is welcome news . Also we actually don't play much golf, but are very keen birders, and we often go walking down our golf course (in Western Australia) looking for birds. As there is nowhere else in Kruger that we arent allowed out of our vehicles (other than camps, picnic spots, and comfort stops) we thought about hiring a buggy and doing a spot of birding on the golf course (maybe hit the ball around a bit as well).
Do you think this is a possibility. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:35 am 

Impyim, I stand to be corrected, as I am also not a golfer but I don't think they have any buggy's, I presume you are referring to golf carts? :?
As its only a 9 hole course they are not really needed, but its lovely to sit at the club and watch the birds and often animals wandering/flying around.

Edit* Found something a few pages back!

gerharddb wrote:
MacandQ wrote:
I am very keen on the idea of a round of golf at Skukuza but does anybody know if golf buggies are available?
My wife is disabled and unable to walk the course with me and it would be great experience for us both if we could hire a buggy.

As far as I know, there are a few.... by few I mean 4 or something if I remember correctly...

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:13 pm 

Rooies wrote:
It is really exhilarating to play a round of golf there. Unfortunately, I hit an Impala-in-one instead of a hole-in-one.

I did the same Rooies - the embarrassing thing was that the poor bugger was minding his own business about 30 metres off the fairway........

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:19 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Can one hire clubs or does one have to bring one's own?

I have often thought I would like to have a bash (literally) some time as a non golfer.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

They do have a few odd clubs available to hire but more modern clubs make the game a lot easier!
Maybe ok if you just want to enjoy being out on the course in Kruger, with game wandering around, good birds and many trees labelled!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I was under the impression that the golf club was not accessible to the general public as it is on a no-entry road .... ?

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:56 am 

As mentioned elsewhere I played at Skukuza a couple of weeks ago, and it really is a wonderful experience. The birdlife is awesome, and we even had mating hippos about 15m from us on the 10th tee. There are a lot of animals on the course too, and the locals we played with said that the lions are actually seen fairly often.

There are definitely golf carts for hire, and the food at the restaurant is very good. Well worth a day out.

As for the clubs BB: give me a shout next time you are around, and I'll bring an extra set for you, and show you the way around the course. I have not seen you for a while, but I reckon we might be better off getting two golf carts..... :whistle: :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:34 am 

Pawps wrote:
Jb72, did you have to wait for the hippos, or did they wave you through?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If I didn't have a guide playing with me in the fourball I would not even have known what was happening right next to me..... I thought it was a hippo battling to breath, meanwhile he was busy panting.... :big_eyes: :roll:

Post subject: Skukuza Golf Course
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:04 pm 

Hi
I was hoping someone might be able to give me some info. My OH has recently taken up golf and was wondering about playing a round at Skukuza golf course this August when we're visiting..

Is it possible to hire clubs and play a round without being a member?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Post subject: Re: Skukuza Golf Course
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:47 pm 

Hi Gemma

Have a look here at this link - it seems one can hire clubs. Skukuza Golf Club

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next