Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your Country of South Africa
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:13 pm 

Hi llytel,

You have to stay on the marked roads at all times, going off road is a big no-no. :lol:

The reason is because the National Parks are not just for the big things like lions, bit are havens for the small stuff as well. Animals like tortoises, snakes, lizards and such like use the grass and bush as cover and can't quickly get out of the way of two tons of truck driving towards them. Plus you never know what bolder or hidden dip the grass is covering and you could do a lot of damage to your hire car if you hit one.

This rule also applies to the SANParks game vehicles as well.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:18 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
llytel wrote:
Hey Crested Val,

One more question I just thought about. Are you allowed to drive offroad there in Kruger, if you see a hunt going on. I know it sounds sadistic but I have always wanted to see a kill, or two, or three or even twenty...lol

Or do you have to stay on the roads at all time ?

Larry

Better to stay on the roads Larry. :wink: You don't want to end up as part of the kill.

I would suggest that you do a night drive or sundowner drive. Many of the animals do most of their hunting at night, or later in the day. With an official Park's vehicle, you would possibly cover areas not allowed to non official vehicles.

By the way, welcome :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:19 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Unfortunately No off road riding in KNP or any of the other national parks .. Too dangerous But you can drive on all the dirtroads and dont forget the speed limit is 50kmh on the tar and 40kmh on the dirt .. But mostly one travels at about 25 kmh ..
Oh I see Saraf beat me to it .. thanks there ..
To add if you did go off road .. no one would find you if you became stuck .. no cell reception !! and you cant just get out and walk you might become lunch

Unread postPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:18 am 

this question is for everyone, I want everyones opinions on which camps they like the best.

Which campsite is your favorite ?

I am still trying to decide on which campsite beside Satara and Orpen to go to, I know that I will have to stay somewhere close to the entrance at Phalaborwa the first night. Is Letaba a good place, I am pretty sure all the camps are nice.

Larry

Unread postPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:21 am 

one more question,

I heard they need pushpins or magnets for some of the wall of shame boards, I am planning on getting some Orlando Florida magnets to bring with me to leave there or maybe some Mickey Mouse or Seaworld magnets. How many is a good number to bring with me ?

Larry

Unread postPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:48 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Larry, Letaba is a lovely camp. If you take that option, do stop at the Sable dam. You might be lucky and its a good way to chill into Kruger mode.

Letaba is a camp with great atmosphere. Although it is on of the bigger camps in Kruger, it never feels that way to me. A visit to the elephant hall is a must and I am sure that you will enjoy the resident bush buck. No better way to enjoy your first evening that sitting watching the Letaba river at sunset. 8)

If you can get a booking, I would try for Lower Sabie, tented camp. Another option is Olifants perimeter bungalow. The Olifants perimeter bungalow is another option for your first night. They are more expensive, but worth the view.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy :thumbs_up:

Lovely idea about the magnets, I am sure someone can give you a good idea on that. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:05 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Agree with MM - head for Letaba or Olifants. Both are great camps with views that will entrance you. Letaba is not a small camp but has a very friendly feel to it. Try to get one of the rondavels with a river view. Olifants is situated on the top of a hill looking down onto the river - a perimeter bungalow is a must.
From there to Satara and Orpen and return your car to hire company at Hoedspruit or, if by that time you feel safe enough on our roads - head back to Phalaborwa either through the park or outside the park. It'll be quicker on the outside road but far more scenic and entertaining going through the park.
Whatever you decide - enjoy!

Unread postPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:57 pm 

thanks MM and PNF,

those descriptions of those camps makes me feel like I am there. I will check on those camps too.

thanks again

Larry

Unread postPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:21 pm 

Hi llytel,
If I had to choose between Letaba and Olifants I would choos Olifants for a first time visitor purely because you're more likely to see game in that area than in the Letaba area.....would be a pity to miss out on the elephant hall in Letaba though, VERY impressive :hmz:

Oh, and you specifically mentioned camping, remember that Olifants has no campsite, only bungalows.

choices choices!!

Unread postPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:49 pm 

llytel wrote:
I heard they need pushpins or magnets for some of the wall of shame boards, I am planning on getting some Orlando Florida magnets to bring with me to leave there or maybe some Mickey Mouse or Seaworld magnets. How many is a good number to bring with me ?

Larry, I am not sure what the magnets you are describing look like.
The ones used on the sightings board (not wall of shame boards) in the camps and the magnets are specific colours to denote the type of animal seen.
Have a look Here to give you an idea of what I mean.
Plus pins for Rhino sightings have been removed and we are asked not to report any of those sightings.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:16 pm 

Hi Elsa,

Thanks for the info, maybe I can find some of those magnets and bring some with me. I was going to bring some that have things associated with Orlando and Florida magnets, like Disney World magnets with Mickey Mouse on them or maybe some Seaworld magnets with sea life on them. Since I live down the road from one of the biggest tourist traps in the USA, it would not be very difficult to get them.

They don't need anymore pushpins for sightings boards, so I won't worry about them.

Thanks

Larry

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:wall: Hi Larry,

Having observed Orlando drivers on many occasions, I would suggest that you get a local driver to chauffer you. It could save your life.

Please, please please, leave your Mickey Mouse and Sea World magnets at home. If you need something to amuse yourself with, purchase a couple of pieces of “Biltong” (jerky) to chew on. It sounds like you have lived in “Fantasy Land” for too long.

Good luck,
Ed
:imsmilin:

Letaba Nov 10-13,
Oliphants Nov 14-17,
Satara Nov 18-25,
Lower Sabi Nov 26- 30,
Crocodile Bridge Dec 01-02

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:33 pm 

Hi Larry,

The magnets and sightings board was a project by the Honorary Rangers. Perhaps contact them and see if they need any help with relacements?

I quite like the sound of the fridge magnets, not for the sightings boards but maybe you could leave them as gifts for reception or other staff, might be a nice "cultural exchange"?

Unread postPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:57 am 

hey saraf,

at least you got the concept, not like the post above you. which I could care less, of his comments.

Larry

Unread postPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:16 am 

Hi Larry , did you manage to get booking in the park? , as far as I am aware there is usually a 6- 12 month prebooked already.