Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Driving from Cape Town to Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:16 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Traveling from CTN to Kruger in 2 days might seem doable, but it hits you when travelling back. :wall:
Last year with my first trip, I did 3 days via Gariepdam (sleepover - about halfway between Cape and Jhb), then Golden Gate (sleepover) and on our way to Kruger.
Our travel back was stay over at Pta (at friends) next day to Gariepdam (sleepover) then home for the last 800km.
We are leaving Sat 18th Sept. for Kruger, but with Premier Class train from CTN to JHB with car loaded (09h00) and the next morning arrive at JHB (11H00) we then travel the 400+km to Kruger = 2 days and we will feel rested and holiday starts immediately.
Our down run: from Kruger to Golden Gate (spending two nights) then Karoo NP (sleepover and spend morning there) with last 400+km home.

Another assistance is that the AA website got a facility that gives you a road condition report and a calculator re km and travel duration if you need to explore this option.
--------------------------

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We have also heard from someone else that they travel via train - CT to Jozi, with car aboard as well - however the option I Googled seemed quite expensive and mentioned that the vehicle cannot be loaded (ie full of stuff) - because we camp, our bakkie is loaded with everything including the kitchen sink.
Will try and google the one you mentioned - not sure if it's the same one that I initially checked out.

Re the trip home, we have given ourselves an entire week to make it back home - so no rush on that front - in fact we would also like to spend at least 2 nights at Karoo NP on the way home. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:30 pm 

Hi Kaapsedraai and Munchkin- we did the train option last year from Cpt to Jozi.
No problem with fully loading the bakkie and putting it on the train.
Just make sure you cover the contents in the back with a sheet or something-to keep prying eyes out.
Only problem was that the train arrived 2 hours late in Jozi and we only arrived at our destination near Nelspruit as the sun was setting-imagine this with to small kids in the back asking every 5 minutes when we're going to arrive at destination.
We will however definitely do the train option again-especially with 2 small kids-it's a long drive.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:30 pm 

We are heading to Kruger next year and have booked a night at Karoo NP and 2 nights at Golden Gate on the way (a bit like your trip the other way round)
Can you please tell me how long it takes you from GGHNP to Kruger and which route you normally take?

Thanks.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
stormfinch, it was our first time last year and travelled GGNP-Bethlehem-Warden-Standerton-Ermelo-Carolina-Badplaas route and about 8hours (840km).
The road between Standerton and Warden esp Carolina is very busy with coal trucks and in bad condition, even on a Sunday afternoon.

I am exploring a different route from Kruger to GGNP i.e. via Badplaas-Piet Retief-Ladysmith-Harrismith-GGNP.
It is about 100+km longer and possibly in time as well.
Estimated time per the AA route planne = 9h30 min (896km)

Another option is Badplaas-Ermelo-Newcastle-Ladysmith-Harrismith-GGNP, but have been advised it is not a good options as some road works and bad road conditions and taxis close to Newcatle.
I stand to be corrected here.
Estimated time per the AA route planne = 9h 20 min (909km)

These distances have been calculated from from Berg' n Dal to GGNP.
The idea is to explore new areas and I have never travelled the area crossing KZN, hence will be new experience.
Any advice re these two road welcome.
-------------------

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:43 pm 
Hi there
3 years ago we did the direct Route. Up N1 then along N4.
If you love driving on the long road (We do) then it will be great.

We left CT at 05h00, arived in Kroonstad (half way between Bloem and Jhb) at around 7pm. Had a great dinner at the guest house there, then left again at 05h00 and arrived at Orpen Gate at around noon.

We found the accommodation in a Brochure called "Places to Stay on the N1 from CT to Jhb" You can get the that brochure at the welcome Centre in Canal Walk.

Stayed at the same place on the way back.

Safe journey...

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:55 pm 

When taking the most direct route, we also push for Kroonstad the first day.
Typically we stop at Beaufort (breakfast), Gariepdam and Bloemfontein (e.g. Vroue monument).
Then you still arrive at Kroonstad during daylight.
Second day: Easy to reach lower regions of Kruger, or do stopover around Panorama route.

June this year we've decided to take longer route.
Kimberley (2 nights Mokale), after stopping at plenty Boer war sites (e.g. concentration camp site at HopeTown).
From there we went to Bela Bela (another 2 nights, after visiting Magersfontein and plenty other amazing sites) and on to Kruger on day 5 (via Magoebaskloof).

On the return journey, we took the scenic route via Baberton, Bloedriver, Spionkop, to the Drakensberg mountains.
2 Days later around Lesotho, via Golden Gate (amazing!) to near Ladybrandt.
Next day to Graaf Reinet for 2 days.

The roundabout way was fantastic - but I will not do this every year :-)

We also used Premier Class before (from Jhb to CT), but you need 3 days for that.
Day 1: From Kruger to close to Jhb.
Day 2: Need to load vehicle very early in morning -only departure around 13:00.
Arrive in CT 17:00 on Day 3.
GREAT option (relaxed!).

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We've just done the up-route Ct- KNP .
Stayed over at Mokala, then Modimolle ( Nylstroom ) then Phalaborwa .
We find that whatever you plan, add another few hours for hold-ups, be it pp-stops, fill-up stops, or road-works
Roadworks alone on either route can add one to two hours - and then every little town you go through is another hold-up, bring down your average speed .
We tried to maintain the speed-limit 120 kph, but whereas on the first day the actual MOVING average ( per my GPS ) was 101 kph, the additional hold-ups, made difference of another 10 kph .

Over the two days Worcester to Nylstroom, 1767 kilometers, took just over 21 hours including the hold-ups ( not sleeping ) actual moving time 19 hours .
So overall moving average 93 kph , total overall average speed 84 kph .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:37 pm 

My 2 cents worth...
We have just driven to KNP from CT and back and this is what we did and what we will do differently next time:
Left CT 5:30am, slept 30km north of Bloem on a dairy farm
Bloem to 60km north of Pretoria.
Pretoria - to Punda Maria
Very easy and not tiring at all - quite a few stop and goes between Beaufort West and Bloem, but as we were travelling on a weekend it added maybe 35minutes onto our time.
Left Satara and drove to Nelspruit.
Nelspruit to Bloem.
Bloem to Beaufort West to Karoo National Park for 2 nights.
We decided that it would be easy to drive from the south of Kruger to Bloem in one day the roads are easy only a bit slow around N12 near JHB before getting on to the N1.
We would also definitely stay over at Karoo National Park again - we thought that it was awesome.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:32 pm 

We did the same trip earlier this year.
Left around 06h00 from outside of Worcester and had an easy drive to Bloemfontein.
From there to Clarens and Golden Gate.
From Clarens we drove Bethlehem, Frankfort,Heidelberg, Delmas. N12 and N4 to Lower-Sabie entering at Croc Bridge.
On our return we left via Malelane and drove all the way to Colesberg.
Found the roads around Jhb very busy and confusing with the road works.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up: The best forum by far......

After reading everybody's 2 and 5 c worth - and having bought an AA road map (our old one seems to have vanished - and for us there's nothing better than sitting with a road map when working out travelling routes etc) - we have decided to forget the idea of making it up in two days and have opted for three instead - makes the most sense - no need to rush it - :roll: we are on holiday after all - the sentiment expressed by most of you!

So, for us it's going to be first day, Cape Town to Mokala NP (Okie :thumbs_up:) then second day, to Pretoria to spend a night with family and then finally on to Malelane and Berg n Dal.

Feel pretty good about the trip up! Thanks everybody! :clap:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:19 pm 

Hi Munchkin, we met a few years back at Kwang in the Kalahari :D
The pathfinders are going to be towing an off road trailer to the KNP in December this year......slow going towing a heavy trailer at the best of times so am budgeting three nights to get to Berg En Dal. Anyone know whether you can put a car AND a trailer on the train? :hmz:

We can't leave earlier than 12h00 on day 1 so will probably try for:
1) Karoo National
2) Gariep
3) Golden Gate
and arrive on day 4...but I am concerned with the GGNP to Berg En Dal day. How long would this take averaging about 100 kmph forumites?
Am also toying wih not booking anything and taking pot luck..but could be risky?

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:48 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Got back to CT on Sunday night.
Drove via Nelspruit to JHB where we stayed overnight, then Via Bloem ended in Richmont.
Road good, straight up to there ( must be the most boring stretch of nothing in South Africa )
Landy behaved tolerably, but finally had to call a tow from Worcester to CT .
Between Richmont and Beaufort W had 5 hold-ups due to roadworks and another three after BeaufortW - all of which cost us almost one hour travel time lost.
On Sunday morning, counted 267 trucks, mostly travelling north, between Richmont and Beaufort W .
After Colesberg road not so good as further north and foresee that this stretch will need a lot of repair work in the coming year or so .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Post subject: Route from the Cape to Kruger.
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:13 pm 

Hi All

My 2011 trip to kruger will be my 4th, and each time we've flown from Cape Town to either Joburg or Nelspruit.
This time we were thinking of braving the long drive in an effort to save some money!!

Please could you give me some advice on driving from cape town to kruger? Our first nights accomodation will be at Skukuza.

Opinions on which roads to take, places to spend the night on the way up, places to eat on the way up, how much it usually costs you in petrol etc, will all really be appreciated!! :D

I've had a look and couldn't find an exisiting thread on this topic, but if there is one, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks everyone!!

Post subject: Re: DRIVING FROM CAPE TOWN
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi camken
I have done this trip by car at least 20 times and suggest you take the N1 to JHB, then N4 east towards Nelspruit and enter via the preferred gate.

We normally stop over in Bloemfontein as this enables us to leave very early and get to the park by mid afternoon.
Bloemfontein is a fairly large city and has many accommodation options from guest houses to hotels.

If you want to take the trip in a more relaxed fashion I say leave Cape Town and stop in Karoo National Park (470km from Cape Town).
There are about 60km of easy driving tourist roads that cover a wide area of this little gem of a park.
Also with the reintroduced lions and black rhino population, there is extra incentive to explore this area which has many specials.
I would then say next night in Kroonstad (about 700km drive) one of the most beautiful towns in South Africa and is just off the highway.
Pm me if you want the name of a guest house which I stayed at in November.
Then take the drive to Kruger (700km) making sure you avoid Jhb. traffic.

At the moment the worst road works are found between 3 Sisters and Colesburg and south of Leeu Gamka. Joburg roads (N12 especially) are an absolute dog show at the moment with few or no road markings making it very dangerous so that's why avoid high traffic times.

Food and comfort stops (look fro the large filling stations) along the N1 are much better than anywhere I have experienced in the world (Europe and US included) and are actually fun and the whole driving experience gives a great feel of the South Africa that most South Africans miss.

Camping in Karoo is cheap as well as in Kroonstad.
Fuel consumption varies from vehicle to vehicle but is always cheaper on the open road especially if you drive at about 110km/h.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next