Post subject: Re: BALULE BRIDGE
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
That bridge is taking longer and longer to repair :doh:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:53 pm 

We spent 3 nights at Balule end of August, it seems the bridge will not be repaired for a long time yet as there are more important repairs/maintenance to be done. We checked in at Satara and therefore did not need to do the extra round trip via Olifants.
There is a huge advantage having that road road closed and that is MUCH less traffic. The Old Main road between Balule and Satara was very quiet and just as productive so...make the most of a bad situation...we saw leopard there and were on our own with her for 40mins, until she dissappeared!

Tsendze - 07/08/2014 - 11/08/2014
Satara - 11/08/2014 - 14/08/2014
Croc. Bridge - 14/08/2014 - 16/08/2014

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:47 am 

Hi Imvubu

Are they actually working on the bridge or has the work been suspended? My wife is worried about the noise from construction traffic during the day :D

26/10/14 Tsendze
28/10/14 Letaba
30/10/14 Satara
03/11/14 Maroela
05/11/14 Satara
07/11/14 Berg-en-Dal
10/11/14 BOO HOO TIME - Off Home

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:36 am 

Hi DSouter, no work happening at the moment, not sure when they will start but I believe it will be some time yet.

Tsendze - 07/08/2014 - 11/08/2014
Satara - 11/08/2014 - 14/08/2014
Croc. Bridge - 14/08/2014 - 16/08/2014

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:37 pm 

I am sorry to barge in to your post DSouter but I am also concern about how to get to Olifants Camp. This is my first trip to the park and I am not familiar with the roads etc . In October, I will be moving from Satara to Olifants. I was planning to drive on the H 1. Which road do I have to take get there now please?
"Imvubu: There is a huge advantage having that road closed and that is MUCH less traffic. The Old Main road between Balule and Satara was very quiet"
Could you please tell me (that road and old main road) which roads numbers are you referring to?
Thank you very much.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:48 pm 

Elephantears, there is absolutely no problem in driving from Satara to Olifants! :thumbs_up:
You can either stay on the tar road and drive straight up the H1-4 and H1-5 until you reach the turn off onto the H8 which takes you directly to Olifants camp.
If you want to do a little different route you take the H1-4 up until you reach the S91 and then S92 which comes out just a few kms before Olifants.
Dsouter is referring to the causeway that crosses the Olifants river leading to Balule camp, which was badly damaged in the previous 2 floods.
The road Imvubu was referring to is the dirt road, the S90.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:10 pm 

Thank you Elsa, No need to panic then! I might even take up your suggestion and head up on the S91,92 to reach Olifants!

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:53 pm 

I think that is a good idea Elephantears and then you can have a look for yourself at the damage to the causeway! :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Low level bridge at Balule
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:13 pm 

Hi there,
I'm not sure whether this question has been asked and answered already, but can anyone tell me whether the low bridge crossing the Olifants River at Balule has been repaired and is operational again?

UNITE AGAINST POACHING

Post subject: Re: Low level bridge at Balule
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:23 am 
Guru
Guru

Will find out for you Chip :thumbs_up:

Tel: (012) 426 5202

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:46 am 
Guru
Guru

Dear Chip

We are expecting the appointment of the contractor by probably the end of this month. We plan to have the contractor on site by mid-August. It will take about 8 months to complete the project. :thumbs_up:

Tel: (012) 426 5202

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:48 am 

Thank you for your reply Lesego. I hope that all goes according to plan, because if that is the case, the bridge should be open at the end of April next year (according to my calculations). We will be at Balule at the beginning of May next year for 3 nights and so, Lesego, let's hold thumbs!!!

UNITE AGAINST POACHING

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:49 am 

Holding thumbs as well!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:56 am 

Friedrich von Hörsten wrote:

On Thursday, our last day there, the contractor filled the "coffer dam" to stop water flowing across the southern end of the bridge. Vehicles started using this road, even the Sanparks bus. So the campers started driving across to Olifants -- 12 km instead of 35 km! What a treat. More options to drive. So we did it and spend the afternoon in Olifants camp, but were back at the bridge by 4:45, within sight of Balule.
Bad news. A Sanparks vehicle was parked diagonally across the road to bar any further crossings! So we suddenly had another 20 km to get back home before dark... which turned into good luck for us, as a caracal lynx (my first ever in Kruger!) crossed the road ahead of us, but there was no time for photos!
After the high level bridge crossing, we got onto our dirt road back to camp, to find an aggressive elephant bull in musth walking towards us and hogging the road... spent about 10 minutes waiting while other cars backed up behind us. Eventually we squeezed past and he charged us, but we got back to camp at exactly 5:30!

Hope you have better luck and that the bridge will now be permanently open to all traffic, even while they are still working on the actual structure on the southern end!

According to Friedrich von Hörsten's above post (relevant extract) on the Balule camp thread, it seems that the contractor has already started??? Doesn't tie up to what Lesego has indicated. Lesego, you sure of the information you have received? Those on the ground, so to speak, tell a completely different story to yours. Still quite a bit of confusion...

Kind regards,

Pat

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I don't think Sanparks want people to use this temporary dirt crossing -- it is meant to cut off the running water. I suppose they will have to do another similar wall lower, then pump out the water before they can start laying concrete in that gap. But the following pics will prove that it was being done on Thursday, 3 July 2014.

What a difference when you can cross the river without going 35 km to Olifants! Also spectacular for viewing elephants at sunset from the bridge! Will have to go back to experience that properly!

I don't know if this man is the "contractor". I do know that there were huge heaps of gravel etc. on the opposite bank, about 500m from the opposite bank T-junction. The trucks were making a hang of a noise, reversing back and forth across the bridge. Even the big white Sanparks bus used the crossing.

I think they would be making a HUGE mistake (same as with Croc Bridge) if they plan to finish this job in 8 months -- it will just get washed away again! The rainy season starts in November, so they need to finish it within the next four months!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten