Balule Low water bridge

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Balule Satellite Camp

Unread postby Son godin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:30 pm

Hi Riverrat,

I thought the northern section was fixed before Dec 2012 and that it was just the southern section to complete. Did the original work done by contractor No 1 washed away in Jan 2013. I am sure I saw pics that it was still fine after the summer rains.

If work was done until Dec 2013 then contractor No 2 disappeared and did not complete the work. Now they looking for contractor No 3. I hope SANParks is 3rd time lucky with the new contractor that will fix the bridge. If there is any one that can tender for this job please apply before 29 April so that we can get a bridge soon. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

KNP-001-13 - Invitation for a suitable service provider for the extension and repair of the Balule low water bridge in the Kruger National Park. Re-advertisement

South African National Parks (SANParks) invites prospective service providers to submit a bid for the extension and repair of the Balule low water bridge in the Kruger National Park. (CIDB Grading: 6 CE PE)

SANParks is a corporate body established in terms of National Environmental Management; Protected Areas Act No 57 of 2003 as amended.

Documents
Invitation to Bid

The bid is issued in accordance with the Preferential Procurement Regulations 2011. SANParks is not obliged to accept the lowest or any bid.

Enquiries
Email & queries to:
Mr Lucky Mahlalela
Email: lucky.mahlalela@sanparks.org
Telephone no: (013) 735 4311

Please note
Compulsory Briefing Session: Balule low level bridge, on the S90 road, Kruger National Park on 17 April 2014 at 11:00 a.m.
The bid documents will only be available at the Supply Chain Management (Procurement) office, Administration Block, Skukuza, as from 7 April 2014. A non-refundable deposit of R500, payable in cash or by bank-guaranteed cheque made out in favour of SANParks, is required on collection of the bid document.
The bid closing date is the 29 April 2014 at 11:00 .
Bid submission address: Supply Chain Management (Procurement) Office, Administrative Block, Skukuza, 1350
KTP a place where you can quench your thirst

Elsa

Re: Balule Low Level Bridge

Unread postby Elsa » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:34 pm

Some news Here
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Chip

Low level bridge at Balule

Unread postby Chip » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:13 pm

Hi there,
I'm not sure whether this question has been asked and answered already, but can anyone tell me whether the low bridge crossing the Olifants River at Balule has been repaired and is operational again?
Proud supporter of the Golden Lions
Read my memoirs and Nov. 2010 Trip Report
Next visit to Kruger: Lower Sabie 3, 4, 5 May,
Tamboti 6, 7 May &
Balule 8, 9, 10, May 2015

UNITE AGAINST POACHING

Lesego
Guru
Guru

Re: Low level bridge at Balule

Unread postby Lesego » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:46 am

Dear Chip

We are expecting the appointment of the contractor by probably the end of this month. We plan to have the contractor on site by mid-August. It will take about 8 months to complete the project. :thumbs_up:
Lesego Nko
Web forum and Online Stakeholder Relations
Lesego.nko@sanparks.org
Tel: (012) 426 5202

Patto

Unread postby Patto » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:56 am

Friedrich von Hörsten wrote:
On Thursday, our last day there, the contractor filled the "coffer dam" to stop water flowing across the southern end of the bridge. Vehicles started using this road, even the Sanparks bus. So the campers started driving across to Olifants -- 12 km instead of 35 km! What a treat. More options to drive. So we did it and spend the afternoon in Olifants camp, but were back at the bridge by 4:45, within sight of Balule.
Bad news. A Sanparks vehicle was parked diagonally across the road to bar any further crossings! So we suddenly had another 20 km to get back home before dark... which turned into good luck for us, as a caracal lynx (my first ever in Kruger!) crossed the road ahead of us, but there was no time for photos!
After the high level bridge crossing, we got onto our dirt road back to camp, to find an aggressive elephant bull in musth walking towards us and hogging the road... spent about 10 minutes waiting while other cars backed up behind us. Eventually we squeezed past and he charged us, but we got back to camp at exactly 5:30!

Hope you have better luck and that the bridge will now be permanently open to all traffic, even while they are still working on the actual structure on the southern end!

According to Friedrich von Hörsten's above post (relevant extract) on the Balule camp thread, it seems that the contractor has already started??? Doesn't tie up to what Lesego has indicated. Lesego, you sure of the information you have received? Those on the ground, so to speak, tell a completely different story to yours. Still quite a bit of confusion...

Kind regards,

Pat
"Wealth is not measured by how much you own, but by how much you give to others!"

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Friedrich von Hörsten » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:22 pm

I don't think Sanparks want people to use this temporary dirt crossing -- it is meant to cut off the running water. I suppose they will have to do another similar wall lower, then pump out the water before they can start laying concrete in that gap. But the following pics will prove that it was being done on Thursday, 3 July 2014.

What a difference when you can cross the river without going 35 km to Olifants! Also spectacular for viewing elephants at sunset from the bridge! Will have to go back to experience that properly!

I don't know if this man is the "contractor". I do know that there were huge heaps of gravel etc. on the opposite bank, about 500m from the opposite bank T-junction. The trucks were making a hang of a noise, reversing back and forth across the bridge. Even the big white Sanparks bus used the crossing.

I think they would be making a HUGE mistake (same as with Croc Bridge) if they plan to finish this job in 8 months -- it will just get washed away again! The rainy season starts in November, so they need to finish it within the next four months!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

Mauxie

Re: Balule Low water bridge

Unread postby Mauxie » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:12 pm

I will be staying at Olifants on the 3rd and 4th of October. I was really hoping that the bridge would be open by then!!!

I was last there in October, two years ago and the bridge was out of commission then. I can't understand why it has taken them so long to repair it. It's very disappointing, as this is such a wonderful spot to view all types of birdlife and game. Not to mention easy access, past Balule, to the surrounding roads in the area.
KRUGER, my happy place!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
BIYAMITI 1st & 2nd OCTOBER
SKUKUZA 3rd & 4th
OLIFANTS 5th
SATARA 6th , 7th & 8th
LOWER SABIE 9th , 10th & 11th
BERG EN DAL 12th

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby onewithnature » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:50 am

The way I understand it, Mauxie, is that, due to unprecedented flood damage twice in a relatively short time period, priority was given to other areas. The Balule bridge is one of my favourite in Kruger and I can barely wait for it to be functional again.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:29 am

We have booked Balule for 6 nights end Oct, early Nov and also thought about the bridge not being open yet and how it will impact our stay at Balule. Last time we spent a week at Balule while the bridge was closed, and still enjoyed it immensely. The drive 'around' is long, but there are so many options when staying in the area.
Sawubona
Dalene

Nubbs

Low level bridge at Balule

Unread postby Nubbs » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:36 am

Can anyone help. Im trying to find out if the low level bridge near Balule connecting the S90 to S91 over the Olifants River is open. Last I heard it was still closed after the last floods. In going there at the end of September so I need to plan which route to take.
Ragards
Gordon

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:56 am

Sawubona
Dalene

leervis

Unread postby leervis » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:19 pm

I'm afraid that the causeway at Balule is still closed.
I was there from 30 Sept. to 2nd October and it looks as if it will be closed for a while.
On the positive side however, I must say that the camp itself is a delight.
This was my first Balule camp, and will not be my last.
On the first night I woke at about 2am for a bathroom visit and walking through the camp was magical. Everything at Balule is kept in 100% shape.
The cooking / washing up area is spotless as are the ablutions.
The camp sites are generous in size and all the people who were there during my stay were considerate campers.
We had a serious Hyena serenade on the last night the.....magic.

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:35 pm

Work is ongoing on the bridge. The road is now closed at the fork to Balule so one can only view the bridge from the northern side of the river.

ImageBalule bridge by dinkybird, on Flickr
Sawubona
Dalene

yoda
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby yoda » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:09 pm

DB,

Any idea if the bridge will be open by the Festive Season?

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:21 pm

Yoda, I do not want to give wrong info; but according to Titus and also if you refer to Lesego's post above, the bridge will open in about April next year.

There is a construction site at the pump house, and a concrete mixer at the bridge, so obviously work is happening, but it is going to take some time still I think.
Sawubona
Dalene

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”