Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Ways to improve Kruger Park
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:07 pm 

I stayed there for a few days last week, really enjoyed it, and would recommend:

1. Put more toilets in the park.
Disgusting to see toilet paper and feces at viewpoints like Stephenson Hamilton and I don't enjoy having to relieve myself in such areas and contributing to the problem.
Maybe a solution would be khaki/army green toilet paper
2. Put more hides at waterholes.
3. Cut away trees blocking viewpoints next to the river.
There is no point going around the small loops next to river because you can't see anything
4. Monitor and control guides with amphitheater vehicles.
They drive like they own the road and treat normal self drive people with disdain.
One screamed at me "Is this your car?!!" at Mlondozi when I was standing near one of the plenty cars parked there blocking the loop.
Just because I was standing at the car!
I said no and he shook his head swearing.
Unbelievable.
They never move over in the road when approaching, so I have to stop now when I see one coming as not to be pushed into the bush.

Just recommendations for people in general:
1. If you drive a diesel engined car, try stay a fair distance from the game.
I noticed elephants do not take kindly to the vibration of a diesel engine and they get quite aggressive, while other animals just run away
2. Some of the cameras sound like automatic weapons with the sounds going tuka tuka tuka tuka peep peep tukka tukka tukka.
It would be nice if people would consider others and put the sounds on mute.
3. Learn to put your cars in positions that allow people to pass if they are not interested in the sighting.
The number of doubled up blocked roads I came across for a lion's tail sighting 60m into the bush was quite funny.
The frustrating part came when I had to turn around to leave because people assumed I was trying to push in to get a glimpse of the tail and would not let me go past.

Overall a very nice stay and definitely the premium park in the country, just for a few small things that could make it better.

Post subject: Re: Ways to improve Kruger Park
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:36 pm 

Speed Bumps in the road to slow down reckless drivers. :pray:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:43 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

whitebobo wrote:
3. Learn to put your cars in positions that allow people to pass if they are not interested in the sighting. The number of doubled up blocked roads I came across for a lion's tail sighting 60m into the bush was quite funny. The frustrating part came when I had to turn around to leave because people assumed I was trying to push in to get a glimpse of the tail and would not let me go past.

Welcome to the forum whitebobo.

The above quote is actually in the rules on the entry permit, so if the road is blocked, hoot.
That might get rid of the tail and then there would be no reason for the leeuverskrik (lion besotted) to block the road. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:57 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Trentonskeeper wrote:
Speed Bumps in the road to slow down reckless drivers. :pray:

Yes, we need to slow down reckless driving :pray:

Unfortunately, speed bumps are not the solution. People simply speed between the speed bumps. The speed will not decrease, and the carbon footprint will be greater. Bad :(

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:01 pm 

whitebobo wrote:
3. Cut away trees blocking viewpoints next to the river. There is no point going around the small loops next to river because you can't see anything

These are/have been greatly debated points on the forum. Perhaps someone can provide the links? Safe to say, we forumites do not agree that it will be better :wink:

Anyway, this is your first post on the forum. Welcome :D Come hang out and chat on the various threads. Half serious, half play 8)

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:42 pm 

Quote:
whitebobo wrote:
I stayed there for a few days last week, really enjoyed it, and would recommend:

1. Put more toilets in the park. Disgusting to see toilet paper and feces at viewpoints like Stephenson Hamilton and I don't enjoy having to relieve myself in such areas and contributing to the problem. Maybe a solution would be khaki/army green toilet paper

This has been my hobby horse for years, a number of people find that the long distances between toilets very problematic. This leads to speeding and discomfort. How often have you heard "just made it" at the toilet.
Between Crocodile and Lower Sabie there is absolutely no where to go. surely some solution can be found even if it was a rent a loo type. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:44 am 

In the discussion that followed my "constructive criticism" a few months ago on the 'dead end' view points the moderator stated the responsible officials would look at the problem of "no view" viewing points. Hve there been any decisios taken on these points?

I have been in the bush for 4 months & just returned from the trip that included Mamili & Savuti. The wonderful Kruger could I suggest, without I hope treading on long & many parochial toes, improve its view points using these parks as an example. The photographic possibilities there along the rivers are enormous even for a born misser like me. Granted they are very different places but have a peep and perhaps use the views seen to return the riverine views in our great Park to what they once were. I sometimes believe that even the animals may want to catch a glimpse of their admirers now & then!

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:13 pm 

Regarding what you said about the guides driving etc. I have noticed this a lot where they start talking very loud at a sighting, this is probably because they would like a good tip at the end of the drive. (you won't give the guide a tip if you couldn't hear him half the time) They also drive like they own the road, overtaking you while there is on coming traffic so as to show the tourists the leopard they hear over the radio. When you hoot and shout at them, they are so surprised!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, most people go to the bush, to chill, be in the quite bush, not to have fights with people?

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:28 pm 

Provide a set of rules and regulations to every visitor explaining that the KNP is a place for peace, solitude and meeting nature.
Playing rugby at 6pm on a piece of grass next to perimeter view points is unacceptable. There must be a formal complaint process against these morons.
Every year I find these uncouth people.
Am I alone ???
Letaba camp 27/12/12 bungalow C23. Yes it's you

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:25 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

whitebobo wrote:

1. Put more toilets in the park.
Disgusting to see toilet paper and feces at viewpoints like Stephenson Hamilton and I don't enjoy having to relieve myself in such areas and contributing to the problem.
Maybe a solution would be khaki/army green toilet paper
3. Cut away trees blocking viewpoints next to the river.
There is no point going around the small loops next to river because you can't see anything
4. Monitor and control guides with amphitheater vehicles.
They drive like they own the road and treat normal self drive people with disdain.
One screamed at me "Is this your car?!!" at Mlondozi when I was standing near one of the plenty cars parked there blocking the loop.
Just because I was standing at the car!
I said no and he shook his head swearing.
Unbelievable.
They never move over in the road when approaching, so I have to stop now when I see one coming as not to be pushed into the bush.

Just recommendations for people in general:
1. If you drive a diesel engined car, try stay a fair distance from the game.
I noticed elephants do not take kindly to the vibration of a diesel engine and they get quite aggressive, while other animals just run away
2. Some of the cameras sound like automatic weapons with the sounds going tuka tuka tuka tuka peep peep tukka tukka tukka.
It would be nice if people would consider others and put the sounds on mute.
3. Learn to put your cars in positions that allow people to pass if they are not interested in the sighting.
The number of doubled up blocked roads I came across for a lion's tail sighting 60m into the bush was quite funny.
The frustrating part came when I had to turn around to leave because people assumed I was trying to push in to get a glimpse of the tail and would not let me go past.

Overall a very nice stay and definitely the premium park in the country, just for a few small things that could make it better.

whitebobo , welcome to the forum :) Are you sure you enjoyed your stay in Kruger :hmz:
You certainly make some , refreshing suggestions :
Like : cutting away trees next to the rivers - I suggest cutting a whole swathe of trees , say 300 meters wide , both sides of the rivers :whistle: .

You know , I drive a diesel . Never knew it bothered animals . Maybe I should stop going to Kruger at all :whistle:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:22 am 

Bush Baptist wrote:
whitebobo wrote:
3. Learn to put your cars in positions that allow people to pass if they are not interested in the sighting. The number of doubled up blocked roads I came across for a lion's tail sighting 60m into the bush was quite funny. The frustrating part came when I had to turn around to leave because people assumed I was trying to push in to get a glimpse of the tail and would not let me go past.

Welcome to the forum whitebobo.

The above quote is actually in the rules on the entry permit, so if the road is blocked, hoot.
That might get rid of the tail and then there would be no reason for the leeuverskrik (lion besotted) to block the road. :wink:

Decisions in life often fork between the diametrically-opposed "turning a blind eye" and "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth". :hmz: It seems, sadly, that the first seldom gets results anymore as a large chunk of visitors (both "once-in-a-blue-moon" and regulars) seem to care only about getting the prime position at a sighting. I've used both decisional approaches and find that, though the latter often gets immediate positive results, it may also escalate into an argument or fight. So now I usually try the patient approach - until my patience runs out. Then a terse or assertively reasonable request is often uploaded to the offender's brain, wherewith the problem is generally sorted. :whistle: :wink: Though your suggestion may perhaps be tongue-in-cheek, BB, it certainly may have merit in certain situations. :wink:

What, for example, would the average nature lover do when a car winds up its window and refuses to budge, or listen to any reason, when a perfectly decent visitor has seen enough of a sighting and NEEDS to move off to meet a deadline?

I actually saw this in action once when on a morning drive near Skukuza: a single woman at a lion sighting (and the lions were all lying flat in long grass) absolutely REFUSED to move her car to allow a foreign visitor behind her the opportunity to leave. He kept asking her decently to just move a bit forward so that he could extricate his vehicle from the sardine-packed sighting, whereupon she could happily return to her original position. Not a sausage! She wound up her window and pretended to be deaf and blind to those around her. Our morning-drive guide pulled close to her and reminded her not only of Park rules, but also of communal decency. Not a chance would she listen; she was, in fact, English speaking (we heard her moaning to herself while winding the window up), and so language could not have been a barrier. Eventually, four cars behind the European gentleman reversed and turned their vehicles at impossible angles so that he could get out.

What would you do?

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:08 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:hmz: I know what i'll do :thumbs_up:

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:36 am 

Philip1 wrote:
:hmz: I know what i'll do :thumbs_up:

:lol:

Me too!! :lol:

I think Okie was having a bit of fun there ... festive season 8)

Stoffel, perhaps you can help us out ... what is the policy of Sanparks on clearing away bush for a view? :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

cheetah2111 wrote:
I think Okie was having a bit of fun there ... festive season 8) Maybe - but it can be totally misinterpreted

Stoffel, perhaps you can help us out ... what is the policy of Sanparks on clearing away bush for a view? :hmz:

I have no idea what the official policy is. My personal opinion is that if roads/rest camps/ picnic sites can be made for tourist purposes (and viewpoints) - trees and shrubs have to be removed. Then they can just as well make a viewpoint properly by removing (especially) shrubs that prevent a good view of the river/dam (or for whatever purpose it was made for in the first instance).

Kruger is such a big park. There is just more than 2 600 km of tourist roads in the park. If you work on a basis that you can see 100 metres clearly to each side of every road (yes in some areas it will be further and in many cases less) - tourist can clearly witness less than 3% of the park.

Bearing that in mind I believe that we as tourist can be given the opportunity to have nice clear views at the present view sites. I am surely not trying to canvass for more view sites. But improve the present ones.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Read here guys