Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Selfish people and viewing etiquette.
Unread postPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:33 pm 

We have just returned from 3 weeks in Kruger Park We had some amazing sightings but one was completely spoilt by one selfish person.
We were driving along the S25 and came across a pride of lions with a cub we were thrilled.
We had the sighting to ourselves for about 10 minutes then a few cars turned up from the opposite direction, then suddenly after about 10 minutes a driver in one of the other cars decided to come through as he weaved in between the lions each one got up and walked into the bush.
As he passed us he said sorry to have spoilt your sighting but they would have laid there for hours.
We were so amazed at his arrogance we couldn't speak we were so angry for the rest of the day
I will post some photo's of what he found so boring :huh:

Post subject: Re: selfish people
Unread postPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:45 pm 

Unread postPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:08 pm 

We had a similar problem just outside the lower Sabie gate.
We had just watched a brown snake eagle dive straight into the bushes just ahead of us and when we pulled up he was sitting right next to the road enjoying the nice snake he had just caught.
Just as we got there a man in his 4x4 pulled right up next to him and his kids were hanging out of the window right up to their hips screaming at the eagle.
So the eagle flew away dropping his meal.
The man in the 4x4 just smiled and drove off.
Very frustrating :wall:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Micetta wrote:
Maybe he had a very urgent appointment :hmz: We must always try to look a bit further and not judge without knowing what is behind a certain behaviour....and he did say he was sorry.

Micetta, that is NO excuse for forcing lions — or any other animal — off the road.
It is the lions' "place" and WE are the intruders.
Anyone who can't wait until the lions choose to move ... well (unless it happened to be an actual matter of life and death and merely saying "sorry" wouldn't indicate that), IMO they don't belong in KNP or any other reserve :twisted: :sniper: :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Agreed Micetta .
After waiting a while in the hope that I would not cause a disturbance I had to pass cars viewing hyena occuping one half of the road width outside Mopani - the hyenas were very lazy and weren't too perturbed , though the people were - as I was en route to Olifants to join the Olifants backpack trail and had to make the 9 am meeting time .
I eventually arrived late as an elephant in musth also kept me at bay further on - so where does one differentiate ?

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Great sighting Mikath with some beautiful photos! :clap: :clap:

This is a difficult one, but I don't think visitors at a sighting can expect everybody else to stay put until such visitors had enough of the sighting. That is selfish as well.

Some other visitors have long distances to travel, etc.

It also happens a lot when visitors at sightings sit and sit and sit and sit and sit and sit at a sighting next to their cars blocking the road, with a lot of other visitors not able to see anything and not able to go by...that is selfish as well!

Unread postPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:54 pm 

A brief recount of the ultimate chaotic sighting:
Years ago lion killed (presumably) a giraffe on the S114.
The carcass was in the middle of the road with only a narrow passage between the giraffe's head and the culvert.
As expected cars piled in and soon the guys at the back could not see and the guys in front could not move out.
After long deliberation/negotiation everybody pulled back, the narrow passage was opened so that the guys in front could move out and the guys at the back move in.
That was the plan... :hmz:

As soon as the passage opened a Free State farmer in a Isuzu backie charged in and stopped right next to the kill, front wheel on top of the giraffe's head, and started taking pictures.
All hell broke loose, people screaming, swearing and shouting but the Isuzu stayed put.
People got out their cars and starting pelting the Isuzu with stones, the farmer was not outdone and promptly returned these compliments. :big_eyes:
The lion?
They ran like crazy and only returned that evening. :huh:

Try and beat this one :tongue:

Last edited by Walloceros on Thu May 20, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The point that I was trying to make had nothing to do with ruining a sighting for other visitors.
Rather, that particular oke forced the lions off the road and IMO there is NO excuse for doing that unless it is a matter literally of life and death.
IMO, if you have to be at a particular camp relatively early in the day, it's best to actually stay in that camp the night before, rather than assuming that you can easily get there in 3-4 hours from gate opening time at another camp.
Inevitably, you can't.
But to force lions, hyena, or any other animal off the road because of your selfish needs is IMO inexcusable.

As well, when it comes to missing gate closing time, I believe that being delayed because elephants or lions are blocking the road is usually considered an acceptable reason for lateness.
There are some things that you simply cannot plan for! :wink:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:50 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Had a very bad experience near BnD last week. I came upon a LIT, stopped around 15 m away from the tree and waited for the cat to show it's face.
When the leopard finally looked in our direction another car stopped right next to the tree and the driver tied to attract the cat by making calls.
End of the story: the leopard looked in his direction and the next moment it left the tree :twisted:
As it comes to lions on the road I also think the cars next to the lions should drive on after a while to allow other people to pass by or share the sighting.
If there is a gap and you pass by slowly you don't chase the lions away.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Lions are not the only sightings enjoyed in the PARKS, there are many other very satisfying sightings that are also ruined by inconsiderate visitors.
What is normally lacking as always is - that long forgotten thing called respect . . . . . .

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:45 pm 

Selfishness works both ways.

The road is a certain width and at cat sightings the road soon becomes impassable due to everyone jockeying for position.
I hate people pushing in and shoving to get a better view or driving through disturbing the animals......BUT.......

Some people first to arrive at a sighting park their car in the best viewing spot (naturally).
That is fine if they are willing after a while to move and let others get to see too.
Some people are content to spend 5 minutes to see a cat and take a few pictures and then move on.
Others tend to want to sit there blocking the road for half and hour or more
(The sighting in the original post here as example).....Lions lying in road with cars blocking rest of road.
Car 1 wants to sit for long time so rest of cars have no choice but to sit or have to drive through and potentially disturb the lions.
Not everyone wants to wait to see if the lazy cat is going to yawn or lift a paw up or stretch etc.

There will always be someone who feels hard done by at these type of sightings and complain that it is others fault and selfishness that ruins it.

2009 and 2010 trips are a distant memory but will remain special.

TMNP - Got Married and had the Honeymoon blinkers on!! Too busy for TMNP!!.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

DuQues wrote:
All about cats.....

Now just a simple question, how many times did you see a car parked at a side of the road?
Nothing to be seen, so on you go, maybe after stopping there as well?

And not realising that you may have disturbed a birdsighting of note?
It's not all about cats... Or even Big 5.

Hear Hear

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:48 pm 

When I started this topic it was just to comment on my experience.
I was not expecting to sit there for hours but I would have liked to have enjoyed the sighting for a bit longer.
The lions were neither asleep or just laying there, the cub was trying to play with each one in turn it was great to see the adults different reactions, not something you see very often I can't imagine where the chap that drove through was in such a rush to get to at 7am in the morning down a dirt road.
Yes I do watch the impala and baboons.
We have been to the park 3 times in a year from the UK and will be returning in September.
We enjoy every minute with these beautiful animals however big or small including the birds

Unread postPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:49 pm 

Agree with Mikath and if you need to be at the Airport first thing, then stay at a Camp like Orpen or Croc Bridge.
Too bad if you are in a hurry, should have planned better!

There is no excuse for spoiling other peoples pleasure, whatever they happen to be watching. :evil:
And just because someone has ' seen it all before, written the book and got the tee shirt' , (i.e 55 Lions, ) they should still afford other people courtesy.
We need to remember that patience is a virtue!

Unread postPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We also had a couple of irritating problems last weekend .
Early Saturday morning found wild dogs in the road.
We were third in line
The guy in the front car was out the window taking pictures while still driving.
The poor dogs just had to keep on running.
If they stopped he probably would have driven right over them.
I got really irritated as did other people coming in the opposite direction.
I eventually drove past and stopped in front of the guy and the dogs became calm and stood around doing what dogs do.
Maybe the guy was just ignorant.

The other instance was on Sunday morning when 4 male lions walked up the road from Berg en Dal direction Afsaal.
It looked like the N1 on a Friday afternoon.
That was all well and fine at least some people in front would watch for a while pass the lions and the next in line would get the front view.
All of a sudden a guy from way back was moving in and out of the 2 lanes of traffic , cutting in front of everybody nearly running over a lion and off he went.
I know he must have been in a hurry, but a couple of km's back was another road running parallel to the tar road with no traffic .
He could just as easy have turned backed taken this round and missed all of the traffic.

I think the no respect part is very apt