Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: shocking state of the gravel roads
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:15 am 

It might work if you make friends with people who have a bakkie or proper SUV. If you drive on the opposite side of the corrugated roads it helps and the corrugations are not a perfect sine wave. And remember if you drive a diesel on a corrugated road the Elephants around Mopani will charge you from far off... The Mopani gate guard blames it on the mopani leafs....

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:50 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Grantmissy wrote:
It seems like it Trrp-trrrrrrrr . Even loose fitting clothing and underwear could be problematic under such road conditions. It is better to remove everything that rattles and shake and to tighten up prior to the journey being undertaken on one of those S’s.

Yeah , just think of yourself as being Lady Godiva :)

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:26 am 

I am a 4x4 owner (combi Syncro) and i all my experience with driving offroad is that 4x4's dont cause as much corrugation as the 2x4 vehicles driving at speed.
I know i might be opening a huge can of worms saying that but it is the proven truth unfortunately but i think the biggest culprit is the speed that people travel at on the gravel roads that cause the biggest problems....maybe more speed law enfrocment should be done.....I know it is a thankless and sometimes boring job BUT there are so many people that speed in the park and cause untold damage to the animals and vegitation.
deflating your vehicle tyres do help alot to make the ride softer and also causes less pronounced corrugations and will not damage your tyres either due to the low speeds you will travel even on the tar roads and all camps that have fuel have compressors to re inflate your tyres when you leave the park
anyway that was my 2 cents worth of useless info
regards
Reg

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:46 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have recently visited the KNP, I drive an ISUZU DC and can only agree with what Reg has posted. My son in law drives a Toyota Verso and he had no complaints about the gravel road condition.

I lowered the tyre pressure and can honestly say that the vast majority of the gravel roads were in a very reasonable condition.

Tyre pressure and speed will deteriorate or improve your travelling experience on the KNP gravel roads.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:44 pm 

I have to agree with Graham_5000 on this. Good to try and keep an up-to-date list of the state of some of the dirt roads.

From July'13. The S25 and S60 were better than I previously remember.
The S37, S36 and H2-2 (Voortrekker Rd) are shockingly bad, for the first time ever I chose to alter my routes as none of those roads could I drive again. More than once on each I had my steering wheel ripped from my hands and simply could not drive along at my preferred 20km/h - 30 km/h pace.
Not quite so bad, but still nasty and detracting from my enjoyment of KNP were the S40 and H5 (north of Mpondo).

I have to say the dirt roads are, on average, worse than in 2011. The sad thing is the camp staff and tourists hiring 'normal' cars are being put off using these roads which puts yet more traffic on the tar (my brother's kids on their first trip asked him 'Please don't go on those noisy roads again, I don't like it'. Hardly an ideal image for KNP to instill).

From conversations I had with people, I fear this is only going to get worse and some of the wonderful dirt roads will become the domain of the speeding 4x4 fraternity.

Personally, I will hire an SUV rather than an Avanza next time and see how it goes. In the meantime I just hope there isn't a nasty accident involving a tourist losing control of an economy/compact hire car.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:36 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

zivvy&muffin wrote:
From conversations I had with people, I fear this is only going to get worse and some of the wonderful dirt roads will become the domain of the speeding 4x4 fraternity.

I suppose by virtue of the fact that I drive a Land Rover Defender , I can also be classed as a member of the so-called 4 x 4 fraternity :whistle:
But , for those who do not know , a Landy is certainly not a vehicle that makes riding on a corrugated surface into a soft-ride . In fact , my Nissan bakkie is a much much softer ride on rough roads than the Landy :doh:

So , perhaps it is not quite right to talk about " speeding 4x4 fraternity " :naughty:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:09 pm 

No Okie, unless you fly along the dirt roads at >40km/h then you would not be speeding. :wink:

Sadly, I observed some 4x4s plainly out for dirt road fun (and zipping along in tandem at well over 60km/h), not a care in the world for the animals. Some, at least slowed down when they saw me coming in the opposite direction before zooming off again in a cloud of dust.

Anyway .. we are drifting off the subject a bit. The core issue is too many of the dirt roads are being allowed to become badly corrugated and, in turn, out of reach of the average visitor or diminishing the experience.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the update on the S36 - I hoped to drive it but sadly won't in a VW Polo now! I'll probably have to take tar most of the way to Biyamiti now from Tamboti

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:29 pm 

was in the southern part of the park last week and also noticed that many of the main gravel roads were badly corrugated. corrugation is mainly caused by vehicles travelling too fast on gravel roads and also poor road maintenance. concidering the number of roads that have been damaged by the last few intensive flooding events in the kruger and the huge effort of park officials having these roads repaired, I don't think that the general public has much to moan about. Well done to SANPARKS for all the effort in repairing flood damaged roads!

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I agree the public does not have much too moan about as SANPARKS has done fantastic work dealing with floods. I do think corrugated roads need to be downgraded though as some are not sedan friendly. We drove the S50 today and we would not have done had we known about the state of the first 30kms. Perhaps we are overly sensitive to the bumps, corrugations, and sharp rocks seeing as we had a puncture a couple of days back?! Anyway we are having an amazing time, the sightings have been great, staff fantastic, and we even had an unseasonal thunderstorm light up the evening sky yesterday!

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:06 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I don't think that people should just assume that all people driving 4x4 vehicles speed. We drive one and just creep along enjoying the animal sightings and have never thought of speeding.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:49 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Yes Carol g I totally agree with you. Always too many assumptions.

Also Sanparks have had their hands full since the floods with repairs to accommodation and main roads and have done a great job so far.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:47 pm 

We were in Berg en Dal and Lower Sabie for just over two weeks from the 12th July travelling in a 1999 Isuzu KB320 double Cab 4X2. We deflated the tires to 2 bars and travelled many gravel roads. The gravel roads were not worse on average than any we have travelled in KNP the last 20 years, some were even in a better condition than last year! We averaged about 20 to 30 kph and sometimes even slower to ensure that we have good opportunities with spotting game of all sorts and also to enjoy the scenery that enfolds around every corner. We travelled everyday on dirt and the main roads for at least four hours a day and even longer with a 2 month old baby in the car without any problems. She slept all the time and gave no problems even on the worst roads to the Renosterkoppies Dam! Sweet isn't it, of the Isuzu or is it the baby, I think the driver, oops!
If your vehicle is well maintained and you take the proper care, all you have in the end is an extremely dusty vehicle that can be cleaned very quickly and the most important - everlasting memories of your KNP experience.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

pietercl44 wrote:
The gravel roads were not worse on average than any we have travelled in KNP the last 20 years, some were even in a better condition than last year!

And certainly better than the tarred roads OUTSIDE the park , especially those in Mpumalanga province , and on which you are forced to drive if you want to reach the park at all :twisted:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:16 am 

Hi all

I apologies in advance for the amount of questions to follow:

Is deflating tires on a sedan a good idea?
Does it do any damage to the tires?
Does it lessen or increase chances of a puncture?
If deflating is a good idea, what, tire pressure is recommended?

Best wishes

Talamati 7 & 8 Sept
Tamboti 9 Sept
Satara 10 & 11 Sept
Pretoriuskop 12 Sept

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next