Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dirt roads are not being graded
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:19 pm 

Quote:
C'mon people - Kruger isn't the national highway!!! Maybe it's just me - but condition of dirt roads don't really worry me. Please, you guys, stick to the tar roads - less traffic for me on the dirt... It's the bush - what are you expecting man? A smooth surface with solid lines and zebra crossings? I don't mind corrugation or bumps or sand or dust - as long as I can still drive Tysie without having to lock the doors, I'm happy

Nungu's reply is nonsensical.
No-one is expecting to drive on a national highway.
Some maintenance on the dirt roads would certainly not go amiss.
It is far easier to put up a sign than actually sorting out the problem - I cannot for the life of me remember said signs 20 years ago.
If we were to extrapolate Nungu's thinking when it comes to complaints with regard to public services, we should rather seek an alternative that solves the problem i.e. badly maintained huts in the camps should be ignored and we should rather seek alternative accommodation .

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
To all that so often complain about the condition of the roads, remember that Kruger has got 1000's of km of dirt roads and to keep them in good condition all the time, means that graders and road work teams will have to work on a constant basis to maintain them.
More workers will have to be employed, more equipment must be bought and so the list continues.
It will also have a negative impact on one's enjoyment of Kruger because no one wants to see a road work team around every corner.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I was being sarcastic - guess it went amiss :hmz:

My point was that people today are soft. Complain, complain, complain :slap:
There weren't signs 20 years ago because they simply weren't erected back then - not because the roads weren't corrugated.
I can still remember my dad complaining about the state of the roads in the 80's (he is in roads construction by the way).... nothings changed - its only the players that's different!!!

You say it's far easier to put up a sign than solve the problem.
I say its out of courtesy that the sign is put up in the first place - there is nothing that says SANParks should erect those signs.
How easy is it to solve the problem? Do you know?
Do you know how many gravel roads there are in KNP?
Do you know how many graders SANParks own?
Do you know how long it takes to grade a kilometer?
Do you have the maintenance schedule?
Do you know what the budget is for maintaining the roads?
Do you know the technical aspects of roads construction such as whether to grade in dry spells or not?
Do you know what the impact is with excessive grading?
Do you know how many staff is available for maintenance?

Wait - it's easy to do... why don't they get it done in one day for crying out loud...
No, its easy to complain.
The pen is mightier than the sword. (Die beste stuurman staan aan wal - I can't translate it).
There are people appointed to do this work, and I'm sure they know better what's going on than you or I.

BUT REALLY!!!
This is AFRICA and KNP is in the bush for crying out loud - it's supposed to be hard.
It's supposed to be tough. It's supposed to be wild.
Lets be honest, the roads aren't impassable - they're just a bit bumpy.
If the roads are too corrugated for you - go watch a documentary on the Discovery channel.
At least I don't have to sit through ad breaks and such.
PS: Don't forget to pick up your dentures before you go to bed :thumbs_up:

Member No. 15342
-----------------------

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:36 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Having had some practical experience of the tyre method.
It has some value on some roads under certain conditions.
But it does not offer a complete solution in any way.
There comes a time when only a proper grader will be effective and even a time where you need to add dirt to the road instead of just grading it.

Has anyone also thought about the fact that grading can actually increase the erosion and dust pollution problems under certain circumstance?
At times it is better for nature to leave a road as it is, even though it may be uncomfortable for humans.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:41 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I agree that some of those dirt roads are not great .
And some of them can shake you so that you want to get out and walk :roll:
I drive a Landy , and that is not a comfortable drive , let me tell you :doh: ( And sometimes I think that the predators probably use the corrugations to hide in when they hunt :whistle: )
But to some extent , with limited resources at their disposal ?
Well , then overall those roads are not really in such bad shape . :lol:
I've been to KTP and must say that the KNP corrugations are nothing to compare . :naughty:
And that is saying nothing about the condition of the paved 4 x 4 tracks leading to KNP :tongue:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:45 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Imberbe wrote:
Has anyone also thought about the fact that grading can actually increase the erosion and dust pollution problems under certain circumstance? At times it is better for nature to leave a road as it is, even though it may be uncomfortable for humans

:thumbs_up: Imberbe . In fact , grading removes some of the compacted top-fill , and can eventually even affect the base-course of the road .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:12 pm 

Take a look at the condition of the low maintenance roads around the Phalaborwa area,....no corrugations. This is due to the fact that you cannot speed on these roads, speeding causes corrugations. Once people stop damaging the roads they will have no reason to complain. :wink:

And I agree, keep to the tar if the dirt is too rough for you. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Can anyone please explain to us exactly what causes the corrugations on dirt roads.
Speed is a problem, but why? (I have read it somewhere in a 4X4 magazine but cannot find it) If memory serves it is something like this.
If you are driving too fast on a dirt road and hit, lets say a small rock, then the tyre looses contact with the road and lifts up from the surface.
Because there is no drag, the wheels suddenly start turning faster (with the same amount of foot on the gas)
When the tyre hits the surface again, it momentarily spins, which forms a small little ridge behind it.
All the vehicles that follows, goes through the same process, and the small ridge formed by the first vehicle will increase by each succeeding vehicle.

Does this make sense?

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It makes sense what you are saying Rooies.
What I don't understand is how it is possible for vehicles to make a perfect ridge right across the road spaced perfectly row after row after row, even in the middle of the road where vehicles don't travel that much.
I think the graders are to be blamed as well.
Isn't it possible for the graders to start bumping up and down on their rubber wheels causing the blades to dig in and out of the soil especially when the soil is hard and dry? :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:53 pm 

I agree that to grade the roads regulary cost thousands of rand, specialy if new graders must be bought and staff have to be appointed. I talk from experience. We found it much cheaper the get outside contractors to do the job. Far less hassles.

Dewet

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Theuns I think they start by grading the road from the outside to the inside.
They start by grading the even surface off the road and gradually move towards the centre of the road, thereby creating an even surface and ensure that there is a drop off to the side to disperse rain water.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:11 pm 

I have also noticed that there are quite a few of the dirt roads in Kruger which have signboards saying Experimental Road surface at the beginning of the said piece which is usually only a few hundred meters.

So I think they are trying to find new ways to make the roads better without having to grade them so regularly. :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Actually the modern shock absorber is the main cause of this .
As the wheel loses contact with the road surface , then the shock absorber prevents it from bouncing back immediately, causing the wheel to spin momentarily , and eventually making small ridges .
It is worse where the ground rises slightly, because the vehicle tyres loose grip easier and also on bends .
Then, contrary to what many people think , a 4 x 4 vehicle does less damage, provided of course that it is in 4 x 4 mode because all 4 tyres can grip the road , whereas 2 x 4 vehicles only has two tyres able to grip the road .
On front wheel drive vehicles the tyres tend to spin more and does the most damage .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The grader's large wheels and slow speed combined with the fact that only the front wheels drive on the corrugations tend to prevent it from copying the corrugations.
The fact that 4x4s have these big wheels and a lot of rubber to absorb the corrugations makes for a smoother ride couple that with the wide tyres and the fact that they drive on all four wheels and one has considerably less impact than a normal sedan. but once again speed kills :rtm:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Alaska Science Forum
February 27, 1981
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Washboard Roads
Article #472

by T. Neil Davis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This column is provided as a public service by the Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks, in cooperation with the UAF research community. T. Neil Davis is a seismologist at the institute.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Washboard roads are a familiar part of the northern scene, just as they are in all parts of the world where people travel over unsurfaced roadways.
Actually, corrugations develop on surfaced roads, too, as well as on steel or other hard surfaces upon which wheels roll, though the corrugations there are not so noticeable.

For many years people have speculated, usually wrongly, about the exact cause of road corrugations.
The real answer comes from a series of experiments and observations conducted in Australia nearly 20 years ago by Dr. Keith B. Mather, now vice chancellor for research and advanced study at the University of Alaska.
The lurid details are given in an article by him that appeared in Scientific American, Volume 208, published in 1963.

Corrugations develop most easily on dry, dusty roads.
The corrugations start to develop at a point where a rolling wheel strikes an irregularity on the road surface.
The irregularity might be a dip, a bump or even a small rock.

This irregularity causes the wheel to fly upward above the roadway.
A short distance beyond the irregularity the wheel impacts the ground again.
Where the wheel lands, it tends to dig in to create another irregularity.
The wheel climbs out of this irregularity and, thereby, again flies into the air.
Thus, a single irregularity leads to the formation of others evenly spaced down the roadway at locations dependent upon the weight and springing of the vehicle and its speed.
Other wheels on other cars coming along behind repeat the process, causing the unevenness of the road surface to increase and spread across the full width of the roadway.
On a particular stretch of roadway, vehicles tend to travel at about the same speed and, despite their differences, they bounce about the same, so their collective action is to increase rather than smooth out the bumpiness.

Interestingly enough, it doesn't matter whether a wheel is driven by a powered axle or spins freely on an axle, its tendency to create corrugations is the same.
About the only way to prevent the build up of washboard surfaces is to drive slowly, very slowly, perhaps less than 5 or 10 mph.

The date of this article is over 20 years ago - ....

Perhaps the answer is to reduce the speed limit on dirt roads to even less than they are now :twisted:

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next