Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Exercise in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I don’t know whether I’m the only one, but I tend to put on a bit of weight when I visit Kruger :lol: . When I drive through the gate, I go into ‘holiday mode’ and all exercise flies out the window. I tend to have a few more braais than usual, drink a few more beers than usual, eat snacks whilst out on game drives, maybe partake in a couple of fry-ups,a toasted sarmie or two during the trip – anyway, you get the picture. And then to top it all, I don’t tend to get the same level of exercise that I normally do and end up sitting on my backside game-viewing the whole trip. :shock:

So my question is – what exercise do you do in Kruger and do you maintain a healthy diet?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:47 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

I think doing walks or better still, trails will keep your body in shape, or even get it into better shape. :wink:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:48 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Actually we do some exercise in camp. If there is an in camp trail we will walk it. We do daily walks around camp whilst birding. We always walk to the shop, never drive. But that's about it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:59 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I've been tempted to take a skipping rope(but then thought my hands and fingers would be too sticky from all the braaivleis and chippies).

I have seen folk jogging around the camp, doing circuit after circuit. Next trip I’ll make a conscious effort to do some exercise. I’m sure there are lots of ways to keep active. :roll:

I also find that long game-drives can be quite a strain as you’re in a cramped position for a long time. It’s always best to stop at the different sites just for a stretch

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:52 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

My SO, Ed, considers exercise an imperative, even on vacation, as you really do lose conditioning if you're used to weight lifting and jogging everyday, as he does.

We stop at a sports store before we enter the parks (KTP or KNP) and buy a set of weights and bar bells for him. At the end of the trip we just give them to somebody, a local worker at one of the parks, who is interested. We would like to donate them to a school or gym for those who can't afford to buy such items, but haven't a clue how to do that.

He also runs in the fenced camps, and if we stay at an unfenced camp, I drive him to a fenced one, go on a game drive by myself, then pick him up.

You can certainly make weights out of water jugs, luggage, and S. Africa has the heaviest cooking pots I've ever used!!!
We joke that if a nuclear bomb went off, everything would be blown away, but those darned pots would still be standing!

Lastly, various structures in and around your accom. can be used as a chin up bar....just get creative!

All together, now..."a one, an a two, an a three...."

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:13 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Come join the cricket weekend next time. You will lose enough weight to keep you going for a year of laid back living. :twisted:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Getting back on topic, would jogging round the perimeter fence (inside) be practical? BnD has a guided walk if I remember correctly, so that might be out but I would have thought that most of the main camps are big enough to get some sort of run.

Post subject: Exercise in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:19 pm 

I've seen lots of people jogging in the camps. Especially the bigger camps shouldn't be a problem. You'll have to go round a couple of times though to make it worth it. Go for it!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:02 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@Bush Baptist :funny:

As we’re staying at Skukuza and Lower Sabie on our next trip, I’ve decided to take my golf clubs and have nine holes during the middle of the day when it’s quiet. I think that should do the trick as long as I don’t get caught at the 19th! :D

Post subject: Re: Exercise in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:49 pm 

If you are prepared to do multiple laps it is quite easy to do a decent run in most of the bigger camps. Stayed at Tamboti this year and had some great 5-10km jogs around the inside of the camp, i have often bumped into others doing the same thing, and for those who dont run i have seen some stern looking power walkers doing there thing on the internal paths :D

Will be in Biyamiti next year and it looks like running will be a bit of a challenge, does anyone know if there is a decent pathway in/around the inside perimeter of Biyamiti?

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:54 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I was once woken up by somevery strange sounds in Maroela.
I thought it was someone in "status asmaticus" :big_eyes:

it was someone preparing for Comrades :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:15 pm 

@Daggaboy, there's a network of paths around Biyamiti that should suit you fine.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:13 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I too would end up even rounder if I didn't do somesort of exercise! So I jog - not great distances but 20 - 30 minutes most days. Most main camps are fine but two are a pain in the ----! Olifants and Punda Maria are knackering!!

Richard

Post subject: A long time coming
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:34 pm 

Newbie here to this forum. Looks friendly enough :hmz: pleased to meet you all.

Very excited just to have booked first part of our accom for Easter 2013 - we used to come over for a month every year until 2002 but then after being in the park and feeling poorly in 2002, tested for malaria and bilharzia and it turned out I was pregnant(!!) Flights and travel from the UK suddenly became more expensive so we have only been back 3 times in the last 8 years.

So - very excited we have decided 2013 is next visit and so the planning has started. We have booked 4 nights at Olifants and are looking which other camp to stay at also ...now my question - probably a hugely stupid one - I love distance running and get "cabin fever" if I can;t run for a while, are there any camps that have areas suitable for running, or would that be a fools-game? ...be gentle on me please :pray:

Post subject: Re: A long time coming
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:53 pm 

Hi Bettispaghetti

Not a stupid question at all. I have been visiting KNP for over 20 years and over this time did training myself and still see plenty of people training these days. I have never seen anyone get annoyed with people getting their exercise. All the big camps have enough room for a good run as long as you are prepared to do laps - lots of laps. Also remember that many people like to take very leisurely strolls on the paved paths so keep an eye out for them. Also animal or bird watchers at the fence who are aiming cameras for a shot are best avoided - they are easily seen and just give them a wide berth so you do not disturb what they are taking. The best is to stick to the roads in the camps as they are safe, you won't get in anypody's way as everyone is meant to drive slowly and as the park is often filled with children so most motorists are careful about how they drive in camps.

Olifants will give you plenty of hill work!

Keep well
Pete