Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Malaria risk in August/September
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

If I found pills that didn't give me extreme side effects I would take them for sure - even in winter. As it stands I'll be spraying and covering up once again.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Do we have any figures for people contracting malaria after or during holidays to Kruger?
Or perhaps even including staff who get malaria while working in Kruger.
I don't know if Sanparks will want to share what could be negative publicity?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:48 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Not sure either, but one must remember that it would be pretty nigh impossible to determine the frequency of malaria infections contracted within Kruger for tourists visiting the park. The reasons for this would include: (i) people may only show malaria symptoms some time later and have been to other malaria areas either after or prior to their Kruger visit; (ii) many people visit while staying in malaria areas surrounding the Park; (iii) very few malaria cases potentially contracted while in Kruger will be reported back to the Park, especially if the visitors live far from it; and (iv) frequency of infection vary according to conditions.

As for employees actually living on Kruger's premises - and remember that many now live outside Kruger, but also in malaria areas - SANParks may have a better idea of infection rates. However, it is doubtful that accurate figures and/or extrapolations exist, again as the result of attendant problems with diagnosis, reporting, and length of time since malaria presents.

Perhaps Kruger and/or SANParks could kindly give further insight into the matter?

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:51 am 

Hi all
I have been meaning to post an update for a while now. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in the park during June. We first stayed in Sirheni and saw 14 lion cubs on an early morning drive (one of the advantages of having a 1 year old is that they wake you up early). We then moved to Bateleur and absolutely loved the small camp and beautiful chalets.
During our stay my boy did get sick - and we took him to the doctor at Phalaborwa. Turned out to be Tonsilitis and he was a lot better within 48 hours and could at least enjoy the animals (he loved the elephants and still immitates them today!). I asked the doctor about Malaria risk and her feedback was that they did not have a single case this year and that she thinks they might have had one last year, but not sure. She was pregnant at the time, and said that they use the typical precautions - spray, nets etc. If it is high risk season she would prescribe peadiatric anti-malaria drugs for visitors though.
I suppose in the end it is your decision on what you want to do, but it was good to talk to a doctor in the area and get some perspective too!

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:40 pm 

We are visiting KNP & a private reserve in Sept 2014 for 1 week. I have read this entire thread. What I have gathered is that mossies are active/bite between dusk & dawn.
We plan on taking Malarone. And also using repellent on our person before we head out for sunset (dusk) guided game drives in KNP & reserve and also light candles in the room upon our return.

My qustion is: Do we need to re-apply repellent in the morning (dawn), before heading out for morning self drives (KNP) or guided game drives (reserve)? I am assumming that the temp will be quite cool/cold at that time of day.

Also we plan to shower @ mid-day, hopefully when they are not active.
This may be a silly question, but I am only used to the mossies in the US, which are not around/active in the winter, even if it rains.
Thanks

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:30 pm 

I would advise to take the most precautions possible, one cannot be too careful so yes, do apply the repellant in the early mornings as well.
Rather be safe than sorry.

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:51 am 

Thanks, will do!

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:55 am 
Hi ctm7943. The female malaria-carrying mosquitoes here (the Anopheles genus) bite between dusk and dawn, even when it is colder (although the bite frequency generally decreases with temperature). That is, technically speaking, just before dusk until just after dawn. So, to be safe, begin applying mosquito repellant half to one hour before it gets dark and reapply anytime before the sun rises if you are out and about that time. (Of course, if you are active at night, you need to reapply repellants every few hours as well.) September in Kruger is on the cusp of high malaria risk, so you cannot go wrong using anti-malarial pills as well. (Your choice of Malarone is good if you're able to use it as it generally has a good side-effect profile.)

The malaria-carrying mossies here do not bite in the day, although there are other mosquitoes that may. ctm7943, I would not worry about showering during the daytime. I, personally, have no issue about showering in Kruger at night either, as I find that I seldom get bitten while in the bathroom. Also, I make sure that I apply mosquito repellant before dusk and then reapply immediately after showering.

The most important thing is to be diligent in malaria-prevention techniques, but most especially to enjoy your trip to Kruger (and elsewhere). :thumbs_up:

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:41 am 

Onewithnature,
We appreciate the additional information & recommendations.
So, if Sept is on the cusp of the higher risk season, do the rains usually start then?
We were hoping to still catch the dry season.

Thanks

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:22 am 
Rains indeed usually coincide with the advent of Spring - or, they are supposed to: these days, with the global repositioning of weather processes, it is difficult to accurately predict when the rains will start in Kruger after winter. However, the area is in a wet cycle, so there may be significant rains a few weeks prior. Traditionally, the higher-risk season (which now is known as the moderate-risk reason - great news for everyone) in the area begins on the 1st of September and lasts until the 31st May each year. Earlier or later rains may affect the number of malaria-carrying mosquitoes and their life spans, but it is prudent to use the recommendations as is.

Disclaimer: My recommendations here - though based on some experience and some drug, and other, knowledge - are not absolute, and further consultation with suitable health-care professionals is suggested before a final decision is taken on whether to enter a malarial area, what prophylaxis to use, and any general factors and limitations that need to be taken into account. Furthermore, I only advise based on what information is given by the person(s) entering the malarial area, but I have no control on the information given to me, and so such information could possibly be incomplete or misleading. Moreover, people vary subjectively as to how they metabolise, and react to, drugs and other substances, which further accentuates that my suggestions here are only general suggestions, and therefore not to be taken as pertaining to every person alike.

Last edited by onewithnature on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:52 am 

OK, thanks again

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:17 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I have heard reports of an abnormal high occurence of malaria in the Phalaborwa region at the moment.
Please take care when travelling in the area.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6