Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: No respect in Kruger anymore
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:01 pm 

This reporting thing was first used by the jeep jocks , and then it was " take over"
That's why a specific report proforma is being used.

NO to frackers products

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well any ideas that you have for me to try and stop the speeding?

Since I run these updates, I would be more than happy to help!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:12 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Eish Ossy.
This thing of blaming the updates for rule breaking.
You and I are tired of this debate ne? :lol:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

cheetah2111 wrote:
Eish Ossy.
This thing of blaming the updates for rule breaking.
You and I are tired of this debate ne? :lol:

You said it all!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:24 pm 

On our trip this year we sat with a male lion for almost an hour and a half on the s100. After our first 10minutes I reported it view kruger sightings. We only had two cars stopping and ask us if we saw the lion. One we said no and one we try to explain but they couldnt see it. These updates arent all that is causing the speeding. There is other factors as well.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:47 am 

On our recent trip, we used the sightings updates and it was great! (Didn't help us see a lot, as there isn't signal in most areas outside the camps) but it was nice to hear what others were seeing. That being said, we just used it as a helpful side-aide, we weren't hanging around camp waiting for it to beep to rush to a sighting!!! And we did see some gorgeous hyena pups thanks to the page and there were no other people at that sighting. :D

I don't think the BBM group is affecting people's behavior. Afterall it's really not much different from the traditional sightings boards! And the BBM can't be blamed for bad etiquette, littering etc. It's just inconsiderate people to blame! And the only way to fix it is stricter enforcement of the rules.

Maybe there should be a BBM group to report bad behaviour etc...? If one could post pics and know the culprits would be fined or penalised that could help solve the problems! :cam:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:53 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I once was guilty of causing a rush of cars from Skukuza on the road to Malelane. :redface: It was early one morning in March, an hour before we were supposed to start a cricket match, when we found a few doggies in the road about 3 km from camp. I only phone one person in camp :twisted: and then it spread like fire inside camp.... next moment a lot of cars with this strange yellow ribbons on the mirrors came to the sighting. :shock: People jumping up and down in their cars as they came around the bend and saw this 20 odd doggies lying in the road. I was so surprised by their excitement, I watched the people in the cars and almost forgot about the doggies. :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:02 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I resemble that remark, and have the photos to prove it. :D :whistle:

Ast binman bin mam?
Lancashire dialect

Ready for the next Cricket Weekend!

New Year trip 2014-2015 booked.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:14 am 

Hi all

My problem with this Kruger law breaking is the people doing it. On this forum I believe everyone is nature lovers and has huge respect for the Kruger and all wildlife.

We are all talking about it here but I believe that a very small percentage off people on this forum are guilty.

The law breakers are your day visitors and people coming to the kruger for the wrong reasons. I think they should maybe limit the day visotrs even more and maybe bring in a new rule that you can only be a day visitor if you book. Then people would actually have to give an effort to enter the Kruger and maybe those people actually want to be there.

We were there three times this year and I would need hours to tell all about the stupid people we encountered and what they did.

But luckily I must say there is a still great “Kruger people” out there that always has time to chat, make a laugh and tell you about their sightings. I think that is why we all go back and hopefully if we all keep doing that people can see how it is supposed to be and if we can all just influence one person that is a victory.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:03 am 

I see that most contributors are saying that day visitors are the main perpetrators of the various transgressions in KNP. Could someone please do me a favour and define who a day tripper is.

I am a pensioner and the accommodation cost in the KNP is quite steep so I stay at timeshare for a week or two and go into the park every day. As I've mentioned before we are at the gate when it opens and an amongst the last to leave just prior to the gate closing. I spend the day cruising around at 30 kph on tar roads and at 20 kph on dirt/gravel roads soaking up the KNP good feeling. Am I a day tripper? I have a wildcard.

I've seen peeps who are staying in the park committing the transgressions mentioned. How did I know that they were staying in the park? Well I saw them transgressing and happened to see them driving to their accommodation in the park.

Having said that I also feel that there are certain types of visitors who are always going to cause trouble no matter what. I can remember that many years ago when you met another vehicle you would wave a friendly wave and if you had had a sighting you would tell the people. That doesn't seem to happen too often these days. I think that it is time for niceties to return to the park.

However, I still enjoy our time in the park no matter what and just report the transgressors and not allow them to get under my skin!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:18 am 

Hi Pops

Sorry if I have generalised. I mean people that use the park as n freeway. They are not there for wildlife but more to get from point A to B. We have met a lot of day visitors staying outside and they love the Kruger also and are always in the rules.

And if you make the rule that day visitors must book a lot of the people that use the park as n freeway will have to use the national roads. And all the people that stays outside the park for visiting reasons will have no problem booking for each day or so I believe.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:22 am 

Disclaimer: This is my personal view; and this is not aimed at any particular member, or previous post.

I often read that 'the wrong people are coming to Kruger' and 'people are coming to Kruger for the wrong reasons'.

This gets me to thinking. How can anyone know what the 'right' reason to go to Kruger is, if you have never experienced it before. I know for myself, the first trip I took as an adult, with two young sons, which was many years after my very first visit as a child to the park; I had no idea what to expect, what the rules were and so on.

It is about education and about people learning to love the park and therefore respect it.

I wrote a while back about the first time I took my brother and his young family to Addo. Even with me in the group, and I am an Addo HR, the people I was with broke rule after rule. I was powerless when I was parked in one car, and they a bit further away, and they popped out their sunroof to eagerly and excitedly film the first ellies they had seen at a waterhole. I can assure you when the left the park, they were far more aware of the rules.

My point is that visiting a National Park is a learning curve for all of us, a growing experience, all the time. We start looking for the Big 5 ... a few years down the line, we learn to love the little sightings.

Granted there are folk who are just rude and thoughtless and selfish. They are like that throughout life.

Is it not time we as a community started to think of solutions that WE can offer in our own little way to the problem.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

@DB :clap: :clap: Well said!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:48 pm 

So very true DB! :thumbs_up:

I think we live in a world of instant gratification today and this is perhaps what the weekender wants, the big 5 at any cost and the quicker the better in many cases, not all cases but a generalisation.

But I have also had to "educate" my family to the rules as well, first time my daughter took her little ones to Kruger, to my horror they were all hanging out the car windows/sunroofs, sitting on Dad's lap steering, but once I explained to them why this was not allowed they became much more aware and later were telling me what other "naughty" people were doing.

But I get back to the old subject we have been harping on for years and I still do not think the rules and regs are made apparent enough at the point of entry or on reservation.
It may not help in every case but if it does in just a few, its those few that will make a difference and just maybe the word will spread.

On our recent trip a guy drove right off road into the bush at a Lion sighting, we waited for him to come out and stopped him telling him that it was against the rules and why, he was staggered and said he hadn't even thought of that and he most certainly would not do it again.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:08 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Well said Dinks :thumbs_up:

When I was introduced to game viewing, we drove with the windows up, aircon on, were disappointed if anyone stopped for birds, drove at about 40kms per hour with the radio on so we could never get very bored. I was 'The wrong type of person'. I guess I was not born a purist like others were :twisted: As I grew to love nature more, my game driving habits changed. Let us not be hasty to label others and look down on them :) The person you write off as 'the wrong type of person' today, might be fighting for conservation in ten years time! :D

This does not detract from the fact that rules must be followed and enforced :thumbs_up:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next