SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Re: Game viewing at full-moon
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:49 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

ndloti wrote:
A friend of mine monitored lion calls at night on and off over a period of 4 years in a prime lion area in the wilderness in the central Kruger and was of the opinion there was less calling at full moon .

In fact I must correct this , he said that he observed more calling at full moon , less so in darker phases when lions are more visible to prey .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject: Kruger at full moon
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:49 pm 

Help Please.
On the 7th and 8th of March my wife and I are entertaining an American, Bosnian and Canadian in Kruger. We have booked for an overnight stay at Skukuza. Only after I booked did I realise that fullmoon is only on the 11th of March. Besides a spectacular night sky, my gut-feeling says one should experience increased noise activity during fullmoon. Has anyone ever notice anyhing like it, or am I just hoping I wont have to reschedule our booking. We would like to treat our guest like only we South Africans can.

Post subject: Re: No mail alert
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:06 pm 

Hi Gumboot - are you meaning noise activity from the camp or from the veld?

I love full moon in Kruger as one can see so beautifully out into the bush ... I can only imagine that the view out over the Sabie at Skukuza will be beautiful at full moon, not to mention the moon rising over the water 8)

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:53 am 

Thanks for the reply Dinkybird.
I did mean an increase in noise activity from the veld during full moon.
Our guests are young woman whom my son met during his gap-year in the USA and Canada(2008).
Apart from the Bosnian, none of them have ever ventured more than '45 miles' from home.
So you can imagine how desperately we want to 'sell' KNP to them.
Reading their mail, one can sense the adrenalin.
Disappointment is out of the question.
I hope someone can confirm that we should experience increased animal noise activity during a full moon.
I know for a fact my next door neighbour raises his voice significantly during full moon, but that is besides the point.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:11 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Gumboot, I think your guests are in for the time of their lives - it'll be BRILLIANT.

Reckon that you should go at full moon so you don't have to listen to your noisy neighbour :lol:

Post subject: Re: Kruger at full moon
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:00 pm 

Hi Gumboot and a warm welcome. :clap:

To be honest we have never experienced any more noise than the usual night sounds at full moon.
I have read that predators prefer NOT to hunt at full moon owing to the fact that they can be more easily seen.
But an interesting observation none the less and one I will be sure to listen out for in future. :wink:
hope its not just the noisy neighbours we hear

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:02 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I cant say for sure i have heard more bush noises at night if it is a full moon, but its true that lions and particularly other cats vocalise more as they prefer not to hunt in full moon conditions and usually patrol their territories therefore vocalising more. :)

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Gumboot and a warm welcome to you! :D

I may be under the wrong impression but I have always thought the bush is more alive at night during full moon!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:40 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

The bush is always alive, full moon or not! Most animals are at least partially active at night too. It is true that lion do not hunt as actively at full moon.

To answer your question, full moon or no full moon should not be a factor in your booking, except if you want to do the astronomy trip at Olifants camp.

Animal sightings from inside most camps are limited. Animal noises are unpredictable. If you want to give your visitors a special evening, book them on a Sunset drive. There they will really experience the bush at night.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:39 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A small camp without airconditioning / shop / filling station will allow more chance of hearing the night sounds .

An ex KNP ranger who spent 7 years as trails ranger , most of which were in the lion rich central district , monitored lion calls over an externded period and concluded that there was more calling at full moon .
He researched the subject and read that they hunted more actively and were mostly silent in overcast or dark moon phase .
He mentions that there were more multiple kills in windy and overcast conditions .(when the wind masked their activities?)

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Last edited by ndloti on Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:03 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

As you know, tonight will be a super full moon:
"The best time to look is when the Moon is near the horizon. For reason not fully understood by astronomers or psychologists, low-hanging moons look unnaturally large when they beam through trees, buildings and other foreground objects. On May 5, this Moon illusion will amplify a full Moon that’s extra-big to begin with. The swollen orb rising in the east at sunset should seem super indeed,” Dr Tony Phillips says in an article in www.science.nasa.gov. "
I am sure its going to be spectacular in Kruger, have your cameras ready for the moon rising through the trees/ :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:00 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

picnic wrote:
This weekend the moon will be at its fullest. :wink:

It will be whats called a super-moon , being at its closest to earth in orbit , and appear very big , bigger than normal .
On the negative side , it will also be a poachers moon , so let's hope and pray for our rhino's , not only in KNP , but all over the country :doh:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .