View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:59 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

wildtuinman wrote:
Wow KNP Spokesman,

Louis Olivier is a legend!! Wish I could meet him. As far as I can remember he started working in the park in 1969. He became a ranger in 1975.

It was he who saved Tom Yssel's live when that croc attacked him. What a hero!! Would love to hear that story from the man himself!! And all the other stories. Especially the one about the elephant who waterbombed him!!

Ditto!!

My wife thought I went crazy when I read that about the ellie who waterbombed him.

I nearly fell off the couch so much I laughed!

Post subject: Re: Legendary Rangers: Louis Olivier
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:48 am 

Bosvelder wrote:
I totally agree with Louis Olivier being a legend, and, I know him! He always has interesting stories, always friendly, a real gentleman, and an avid rugby supporter. He is the district Ranger at Phalaborwa now, and I can ensure you, my life is so much richer for knowing a person of his calibre. I still have not heard the story about the crocodile from himself, but I was told that he will share the story with me over a bottle of Black Lable (whisky...), I am now saving for the bottle, I have to hear that story!

Wow...you are lucky to have met and befriend such a great man...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:17 am 

Twiga wrote:
wildtuinman wrote:
Especially the one about the elephant who waterbombed him!!

Will you share the story with us please WTM?

Hi Twiga,

He was on patrol on his motorbike when he came across a Elephant bull on the far side of the river (please don't ask names, I'll have to go check up again)...

The ellie was busy drinking water and he was looking at him. He noticed that the "sly" one was actually pretending to be drinking and was slowely but steadily walking towards him, making as is he was not noticing him, pretending to be drinking water.

The bank was high enough for Oom Louie to know that the elephant wouldn't be able to get up to him fast enough, so he was sure that he was safe. This behavious made Oom Louie curious, when the Elephant was a few meters away, he again made his trunk full of water to "apparently" drink some water, but the next moment he "took aim" and blasted Oom Louie with the water.

Oom Louie said he was so shocked by this sudden water bath, and after a few words which could not be repeated, just to tell the elephant what he thought off that water bath, he went off.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:54 pm 

Louis Olivier has been a very good friend of mine for many years and he certainly has many entertaining stories to tell but you need time and a bottle of Jack Daniels.

Post subject: KNP Uniforms
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:29 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I've seen them at the National Zoological Gardens in Pretoria and more recently at the Emerald Game Reserve in Vanderbijlpark - uniformed guys with green shoulder badges, but I've never really paid attention to what was on the badge. Did these guys complete the same training as the rangers in KNP and other parks and are they allowed for example to apply for a job in one of the National Parks? The other question - how do we know when it's a genuine park official and not one of the private guys running round?
I know the zoos aren't linked to SANParks directly or are they?

Last edited by Guinea Pig on Mon May 09, 2005 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: KNP Staff uniforms
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:41 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi Forumites

This is a really good question and I am so glad that GP has asked it.
The reason for me saying this is simple:
There are many organisations that are going around with similar or fairly similar uniforms to SANParks, but they are certainly not SANParks.
In fact, there was a group floating around that collected money "for conservation" a while back with epaulettes similar to SANParks.
I can remember seeing one of them near Hartebeespoort dam two years ago who took one look at me (I was in uniform) and scattered.
SANParks will never raise money in this way!
The moral of the story is be very careful who you give money too, the only legitimate fund raising attempt of this type sanctioned by SANParks are the anti poaching "tins" found in our shops and at certain locations across the country.
This is an Honorary Rangers project.

But this plethora of uniforms out there is one of the reasons why we are set to change our uniforms over the next two years but, for the meantime, let me discuss the official uniforms of the KNP (read SANParks):
1) Green Army-style uniform with epaulettes
This heavy looking dark green uniform has definite Kudu Kop (see above left hand corner of website) worn as an epaulette.
This is worn by conservation staff, rangers, scientists working in the field (including game capture) and security officials (excluding our contracted security company).
Staff in other departments - like myself in Public Relations - may not wear this uniform.
2) Two tone khaki
With its SANParks logo (Kudu Kop and words "South African National Parks) this is the "normal" day-to-day uniform of most (if not all) staff members.
Women are allowed to wear it - it is incredibly cool and comfortable - and can be worn with short- or long-pants.
It can also be worn with slightly darker green long pants.
3) Golf Shirts
There are also two golf shirts that are technically uniform.
They are a creamy colour and a green colour and both have the SANParks logo (kudu kop) on the pocket.
4) Green women's uniform
This is a variation light, dark and patterned green uniform worn by women.
It includes skirts, shorts, slacks and a variation of shirts.
The Kudu Kop is embroidered on the shirt, usually the left chest.
5) Working uniform
This is a tough khaki uniform for both men and women used by labourers and domestic workers.

In KNP, we have been issued security passes (used to be yellow cards but are now blue with an animal picture, mine is a lion - :evil: NOT A SHARK!) and we can use this to identify ourselves when not in uniform too.
Many of us have been given permission to use magnets for our vehicles with the SANParks logo - normally for law enforcement purposes - but this is our choice whether to use them or not.
All security passes have our photographs, name, employee number and division where we work.
Not all parks have this system and we in the KNP are still busy issuing all staff with this card but this is a pretty good guide.

Many other conservation authorities, zoos, private game parks, provincial game parks and tour guide organisations have taken to wearing some sort of epaulette in recent years.
There certainly is no specific qualification to wearing them, other than the type of industry that they work for.

Regarding ranger training, let us first make the distinction between the different levels (which many lump under one heading "ranger" but they are totally different in role and responsibility.

Ranger (section or district)
Most undergo at least a National Diploma in Nature Conservation before applying for a job as a ranger but many have other degrees or qualifications.
One particular ranger that I know and respect highly has just submitted his Master's Thesis!
They are - in essence - wildlife protectors and are allocated an area of the park as their responsibility.
Apart from law enforcement and possibly answering a few questions (in my experience they are a really nice bunch of guys and girls) they don't really see that many tourists.
In their sections, what they say is law!

Field Ranger
These guys work directly under section/district rangers and are the guys who actually patrol the area, protecting the wilderness against everything from soil erosion to poachers.
They have normally done in service training together with courses and learn their skills as time passes and with their more experienced colleagues.
The field ranger corps are a paramilitary arm and have all the characteristics of a military unit, including incredible espirit de corps.
The late L/Cpl Ndlovu was a field ranger.

Field guides
Although the qualifications can vary considerably, these guys and girls have normally got a FGASA (Field Guide Association of South Africa) or similar qualification, which has various levels, from vehicle guiding to being weapons qualified which enables them to take guided walks.
Although most refer to them as "rangers", they are actually guides and are also trained to "interpret" the "language" of the bushveld to their guests.

Trails ranger
This is an interesting person as he/she is part guide and part section ranger.
Most have all the training of a full section ranger (including Nature Conservation Diplomas) but are specifically deployed to interact with guests, particularly on Wilderness Trails.
They have all got their full FGASA qualifications.
Many trails rangers in the KNP have gone on to become full section rangers and some, for example Wouter Jordaan (who answered that question about bicycle patrols a few weeks back) has climbed even higher and is now a Quality Assurance officer: Wildlife Management (a senior post in our Conservation Services Department).

That, in essence, is the difference between them.

Zoos aren't really linked to any National Park by organisation.
Most fall under some or another Zoological Society or organisation.
That said however, there is no reason why we can't work together with them on some or another project. For example, the "Take animals back to Africa" project with the Frankfurt Zoological Society.
Basically speaking, the Frankfurt Zoo has a breeding pair of black rhino and, every time one gets too old for its enclosure, it is trans located to South Africa.
It usually spends time in our bomas here in Skukuza before being released in Marakele National Park.

Phew, probably my longest post but I trust I have explained this fully.

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

Post subject: Kruger Rangers
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:49 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I was reading Jan Rodrigues' book this weekend on Game Ranger Tales, and I was wondering whether any of the regional rangers mentioned therein are still in the Park. Does any one know if any of those "old" rangers are still there?

Post subject: Re: rangers
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:24 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi Fevertree

As you probably know, the ranger corps is divided into Regions or Districts. Each of the four districts has a "District Ranger". Then each district is divided into a number of Sections, each with its "Section Ranger". Reporting to each of these Section Rangers are Field Rangers. There are an average of 10 per section - depending on the size of the sections (which vary considerably in size). For example, Letaba Section is 55 782ha and Mahlangeni Section is 116 082ha so, theoretically, Mahlangeni should have twice the number of field rangers than Letaba (but it doesn't always work out quite that easily).

Some of the names that have been here for a while include:
Louis Olivier (Northern Region Ranger)
Kobus Wenzel (Far North Region Ranger)
Mbongeni Tukela (South Region Ranger)
Albert Mashaba (Central Region Ranger)
*** The following are all Section or Assistant Section Rangers ***
Bruce Leslie
Johann Oelofse
Peter Scott

The younger up-and-coming rangers in the KNP include the likes of:
Jazz Nariandas
Rob Thomson
Neels van Wyk
Dalton Mabasa
Hendrick Mugwabana
Claire Ntshane
Richard Sowry
Steven Whitfield (his father was a well known KNP ranger)
David Manganye
Thomas Ramabulana
Evans Mkansi
Joe Nkuna
Oupa Modirwa
Reckson Seani
Karien Loubser
Lombard Shirindza
Dereck Mashale
Thomas Mbokota

Many of these rangers were former Trails Rangers and others were Day Walks Guides but a sprinkling of them were formerly Social Ecologists - particularly in areas bordering large communities with close links to the Park. And then you get living legends like Oom Louis and Johann Oelofse.

Those - and their field rangers - are our merry men in green who daily work hard to protect the integrity of the KNP from various forces (and a nice bunch of guys and girls too, I must tell you!).

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

Post subject: rangers
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks for this info, it is heartening to see that some of the older "legends" are still going strong. I think there presence is important in imparting to the younger corps the traditions and values of the Kruger Park as they were in the old days, and ensure that they are maintained into the future - obviously without all the old apartheid traditions of course!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:51 pm 

Jen wrote:
For those of you who are interested in reading the story about Louis Olivier and many of the other great rangers of our National Parks try purchasing the following book:-
The Game Rangers by Jan Roderigues
Published in 1992
ISBN 0-620-16912-5
Enjoy!

For more info ... have a look at this Link:
Link

You can get it at SANParks Head Office ... or at Pilanesberg (but don't tell anyone I told you all)...

I'm still waiting to get mine back from someone who borrowed it, wonder if Loams can tell me when that person will bring it back :twisted:

Post subject: Lowvelder Article
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:34 pm 

Park officials receive rank

Sounds good to me :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:43 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Have had the priviledge of walking with a few of the trails rangers , some of whom became section rangers , but most of them have left Kruger . They were mostly of the 1980 / 90 era , also wish I had met some of the legends who knew the Kruger in its Cinderella days , before tar roads , ATM's and the like .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:29 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Man, these people are lucky, doing the work they do. If they offered me a job I'd be there in a flash! :mrgreen:

Having once been a guide myself, I noticed that people often are confused as to the difference between a guide and a ranger. Field guides do just exactly that, they guide tourists through game parks, providing a (hopefully) richer and more educated experience. Guides work with people, and are part of the tourism industry, usually having very little to do with conservation managemenet. Game rangers on the other hand, are hands on conservationists, working to keep the biological side of game reserves functioning, patrolling, fixing game fences, waterholes, doing game counts. They essentially are wildlife managers and they adhere to a set ecological management plan. Very often, especially in some of the private reserves, they do fulfill both roles. But in KNP the roles are mostly separated. Then you also get the ecologists who are the researchers, studying the natural systems to gain a better understanding of how it all functions so that they can inform the rangers how it should be managed.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:25 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Seeing that Lynn van Rooyen is the man in charge of this venture I felt that it held grounds to post this piece of information.

Lynn van Rooyen for those who are unaware is an ex-SANP employee mostly doing his duties as a ranger in Kruger. He was also the unfortunate man to shoot on of the magnificent 7 members, Kambaku, after a festering bullet wound anchored him eventually.

Hats off to Lynn for helping in making yet another dream come true. :clap:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:19 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Good to see that some rangers are still involved in conservation , albeit that they would probably prefer to still be in KNP ?
Any news of people like Ted Witfield , Dave Chapman , and any others ?

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.