Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: General comments on recent trip to Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:15 pm 

My family just had a wonderful 9 days in Kruger, I thought it only fair to share some of the positive feedback – very little negative to speak about. I havent been to the park for several years and was nervous about how it would have changed over the years.

3 days at each of these bush veld camps - SIRHENI , SHIMUWINI and TALAMATI all great – highly recommended! So much better than staying at the main camps (just my personal opinion.)

All park staff were very helpful and friendly.

The Northern part of the park was wonderful, loved the relative peace and quite – had 1 trip to the lower parts of the park and braved the trip between Skukuza and lower Sabie, the traffic jams and way people behaved at animal sightings was disappointing.

Really good animal sightings in all areas of the park. Including spectacular leopard sightings in the river bed, huge Buff herds (200 +) at Talamati and Sabie river (400 +).
One 4 hr drive in the afternoon/eve around talamti produced all of the big 5!

The main camps were a pleasure to visit occasionally, I found the shops to be really well stocked and not too badly priced.

The birding was really good, a complete novice like me managed 83 confirmed species in 9 days!

Travelling outside of the park was a big disappointment – 2 separate traffic police looking for bribes was really disappointing – also bumped into an American couple and that was one of their standout memories being aggressively pushed for a bribe for speeding. What a pity – when is something going to be done about this!?!

Quite a few speeders in the park – It appeared to be mostly staff speeding rather than tourists.

I was a bit disappointed with the amount of litter in the park, I probably was a bit naïve but I thought one of the park employees would pick up obvious roadside litter – one plastic packet was caught in a thorn bush right next to the road for 3 or four days without anyone doing anything about it.

In general a wonderful experience - I cant wait to go back.

Post subject: Re: General comments on recent trip to Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:26 pm 

Warm welcome to the forum HawkI :clap:

Thanks for the feedback on your recent trip.
Pity it was spoilt by a few isolated incidents.
If you would like to do a more comprehensive report in the Travel Tales Forum with some nice pics of those wonderful sightings sure it would be well received. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Welcome Hawk1 thank you for the feedback good to get the positives :thumbs_up: pity about the rest though.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:03 pm 

:clap: Welcome Hawk1, thanlks for the feed back both good and bad.

I guess we can all learn something from this