Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Gate Quota
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:36 pm 

I believe that sanparks enforces strict gate quotas at Kruger in peak holiday periods

I’m interested in finding out what these quotas are per gate

Can anyone help by pointing me in the correct direction

Post subject: Re: Gate Quota
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:48 pm 

Yes Mcook, there are various gate quotas that come into force during the busy times.
I know the bigger gates will have a higher quota and smaller less so.
Will try and find where they are listed.
Can't think offhand. :?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:10 pm 

Thanks Elsa :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:33 pm 

Mcook, remember if you got a reservation you can enter any gate at any time and the gate quotas are not important .Also when we visit as day visitors we arrive say 30-40 min before open time and was never not allowed.

NO to frackers products

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
On a serious note though, you can phone the gate you plan to enter as a day visitor and pre-book your entrance which will guarantee your entry. Arriving early has also never created an entry problem.

Is the bush calling loudly? Read about the Bush Camps presented by the HR's

July/August 2014
27-30 Tamboti (Number 40!!!)
30-1 Letaba
1-4 Shingwedzi
4-6 Mopani

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:49 pm 

Searching the forums for previous discussions, it seems you must pre-book. 60% of the quotas are reached from pre-booking.

This is what KNP Spokesperson told us of numbers back in 2008 - I stand to be corrected, as the number might have increased a little on some gates, but it is a guide:
KNP Spokesman wrote:
Hi Everyone

Thanks for the suggestions and comments, much appreciated.
At the risk of repeating myself, KNP management is presently doing a study on guest/visitor management, particularly with road usage data.
Recent visitors might have noticed small black lines stretched across the road at various places with mysterious green boxes.
These boxes collect data like how many cars use the road, at what time of the day and what the frequency of this is.
This will tell us what sort of stress the roads have and whether the roads are overcrowded or not.
This data will then be analysed by a committee that has been established to look into the whole gate quota issue.
At this point, I would like to stress that you need to look at the gate quota issue in perspective with other issues like crowding at game spots, crowding at facilities (day visitor areas, picnic sites etc) and take educated decisions on the way forward.
This was one of the measures that came up after the extensive consultation we did during the whole KNP management plan process (widely discussed on the forum approximately two years ago).
Anyway, back to the gate quotas.
We know that there is a certain amount of strain on the park, especially on public holidays that fall within school holidays, and we know that we need to make some sort of revision on the whole quota policy, which will also help alleviate the traffic jams and resultant "road rage" at spots, making the KNP visit experience more pleasurable for everyone.
At present, the gate quotas (which are still in force, every day of the year) are based on the amount of facilities and road surface in that particular area.
Small gates have a quota of 350 (this includes Croc Bridge, Numbi, Orpen, Pafuri etc), big gates have a quota of 500 (this includes Malelane, Phalaborwa, Punda Maria etc) and the main gate of the park Paul Kruger Gate has a quota of 750.

Hope this explains.
Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

link

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:10 am 

gjorgi wrote:
My humble opinion is that their whole study was a bit of a flop I'm afraid. I've got timeshare at a certain lodge outside croc bridge at the end of April and each year on that May 1st holiday the park is a total mess! People even park on the kerbs and paving in lower-sabie, all picnic spots are overcrowded....I'd say that that part of Kruger is AT LEAST 20% overcrowded over that period. Now if it's people coming from other gates then they need to re-asses those gates (like kruger gate) quotas as well. You can't just say that a larger gate will have a larger quota seeing that you can travel to LS from Kruger gate. They need to determine what the capacity of for instance the south of Kruger are and then divide that amount of cars between the different gates...it certainly doesn't seem as if they did that. I have no doubt in my mind that money ranks higher than the environment and Ior anyone's comfort over these public holiday periods.

From what I have observed of the overcrowded picnic spots, it's not so much that there are too many people, it is that people who have no interest in driving around come in early morning, race to the picnic spots, and then spend the entire day hanging out in the picnic spots, crowding out people who just want to stop for a quick breakfast. IMO opinion, they should impose a limit on the amount of time spent at a picnic spot in busy hours. Easily enforceable by recording at what time a car stops, and at what time it leaves, and then giving cars that overstay the time limit a hefty fine...

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:19 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Add 10% to the figures quoted by DB above.....these were increased a year or two back. More recently some quotas have been a bit relaxed leading to the problems some are mentioning, and hence the decision to apply the quota system strictly. I know the last twice I helped at Malelane this happened, and when numbers were reached it was 'Quota full. Reservations only.'

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:45 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
As has been said previously, it much depends on which gate you go through. We stay for 6 months of the year near Phalaborwa Gate, and the only day we have ever seen "Quota "Full" was Christmas Day. The gates further north are even quieter as a rule, though of course their qu0tas are smaller then the southern ones in the main.

As also said before the gate quota rules only apply to Day Visitors. If you have overnight bookings you are NOT subject to gate quotas.

To be safe you can pre book a day visit during the holiday times just to be sure, either by phone, at a gate (not sure if you can do it online sorry!!) :redface:

Hope you have a wonderful trip. :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:01 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Mcook wrote:
Thanks for clarity Porridge :lol:

Thanks Dinkybird :thumbs_up:

I assume that the numbers below are vehicles, not people :hmz:

Quote:
Small gates have a quota of 350 (this includes Croc Bridge, Numbi, Orpen, Pafuri etc), big gates have a quota of 500 (this includes Malelane, Phalaborwa, Punda Maria etc) and the main gate of the park Paul Kruger Gate has a quota of 750.

Hope this explains.
Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

If it is vehicles it’s a fairly large number. Do some gates hit these numbers and refuse entry. :shock:

I also have been told that these numbers were increased during the soccer world cup in 2010, but were never decreased after the event, so what are the numbers now, these plus 10% as stated by ecojunkie

I'm surprised that the park can handle this load in holiday season if these quotas are reached :shock: but at least I will get in :D

The quotas depend on facilities available for PEOPLE - cars do not use toilets and restaurants!!!! And yes, folk do travel a distance, but then they travel a distance from all gates, so it does even out.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:05 pm 

So it’s people, thanks for that ecojunkie :thumbs_up:

Therefore as far as day visitors are concerned it’s in the best interest of all overnight visitors if more day visitors are in less vehicles as it stops overcrowding on the roads and at sightings :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Two problems one might encounter regarding gate quotas and permits. The first is that not everybody in Sanparks Reservation office is aware that each day has to be booked under a separate Reservation number - you need to make sure that they get this right with the exact dates you wish to enter the Park.

The second problem is that unless someone is walking the queue at the gate to find out who has reservations it can be extremely frustrating when one has paid the premium of either reserving accommodation or paying for a permit. We have sat at Croc Bridge for 2 hours with Reservations and because only one car can cross the bridge at a time they only allow 10 through before closing the gates. We have also had the unpleasant experience of checking in at a gate and being in a queue of 20 outside the office when a OSV guide has simply bustled up and walked into the office and been served ahead of us. There was nearly a boxing match one morning at Paul Kruger Gate as a result of their arrogant behaviour and only when a very level headed lady behind the counter took the matter into her hands and made him join the queue did it calm things down. I took her a box of chocolates the next day and she was so thrilled to have her straight forward attitude being rewarded. I told her that Sanparks needs more people like her at the front line dealing with the public!

8 & 9 Jan 2014 at Elephant Walk
10 to 17 January 2014 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:04 pm 

Figures just received from Lesego.

Lesego wrote:
Crocodile Bridge Gate = 550
Mjejane Gate = 550
Malelane Gate = 550
Numbi Gate = 550
Phabeni Gate = 550
Kruger Gate = 750
Orpen Gate = 550
Phalaborwa Gate = 550
Punda Maria Gate = 330
Pafuri Gate = 330
Giriyondo Gate = 275

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:10 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Yes. It is important for all to understand that this booking fee does NOT allow folk priority at the gates (unless it is one of the gates with upgraded facilities).

When the gates open in the morning everybody is in the same queue. Once the quota has been reached only those with bookings are allowed in.

Your booking guarantees entry - not priority entry.

And yes, the OSV drivers are in the same queue.

The only time somebody can bypass the queue is if they already have a permit eg a re-entry, or where an OSV company has had an employee come early and get permits for their vehicles - so the driver does not need to stop at the office because all is already in place.

There are times when things are going very slow for some reason that folk with an overnight booking at a distance (eg north of Satara, entering at Malelane or Croc Bridge) will be allowed to bypass the queue simply because of the time factor.

It is when folk take things into their own hands and decide that they can bypass queues that problems occur. If folk would just be patient and follow the queue, AND not go into the office either until they are in the parking area, then things would actually run smoother and quicker as we have proved at Malelane.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:28 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2013)
Media release from SANParks on the topic of gate quotas:

Quote:
Date: 24th June 2014

Day Visitors to the Kruger National Park (KNP) are requested to take note of gate quotas when planning their visit, as these will strictly be enforced during the coming school holidays which start on Saturday, 28 June until Sunday, 20 July 2014.

Visitors are advised to either arrive at the gate very early in the morning because the service is on “first come first served” basis or pre-book their entrance with central reservations office on telephone number 012 428 9111 in order to ensure that they gain access to the park in terms of their own plan and are not sent back at the gate.

“Our gates have experienced a high volume of visitors during the past holidays, reaching their full daily quota fairly early in the day; therefore we are calling on everyone who is planning to visit the park as a day visitor to please make the necessary arrangement before hand in order to secure entry”, said the GM: Communication & Marketing in the KNP, William Mabasa.

Pre-booking comes with a non-refundable deposit of R32 per adult and R16 per child entering the park; which must be paid in advance and is meant to ensure their space because they would have been counted in the number that made the daily quota. Day visitors with advanced bookings are expected to arrive at the booked gate and date by not later than 13:00, after which the booking lapses. A pre-booking however does not exempt the day visitor from paying the normal conservation fees upon arrival at the gate but secures him/her entry.

All visitors are also reminded to bring along their identity documents (IDs) or alternative form of identity to avoid problems at the gates. Wild Cards cannot be used to identify one as legitimate holder and should be accompanied by some form of identity.

Mabasa also reminded visitors not to bring liquor with them as the alcohol ban on public areas in the Park is a permanent rule which is enforced at all times; and the rest of the Park rules shall be fully enforced as well. Visitors can report any rules and regulations infringement to the Emergency Call Centres on 013 735 4325/013 735 0197 or 076 801 9679.

Day Visitors, who may not be able to gain entry because the quota shall have been reached, can if they wish, make use of the park and ride a facility which is available at some gates. The park and ride will cost visitors extra money but should be better than having to be turned back at the gate.

“We also request visitors to plan their trip by observing gate opening and closing times so that they do not find themselves either speeding or arriving late at the camps/gates on their way in/out of the park. People must please read their permits received at the gates because all the rules and regulations of the park are clearly stipulated in those documents,” concluded Mabasa.

KNP has 10 entrance gates i.e. Pafuri, Punda Maria, Phalaborwa, Giriyondo, Orpen, Paul Kruger, Phabeni, Numbi, Malelane and Crocodile Bridge.

For interest, the upgraded museum at Skukuza Camp which was temporarily closed for renovation since December 2012 will be open for tourists; as from Monday, 30 June 2014.

Issued by:
South African National Parks (SANParks) Kruger National Park Communications
Tel: 013 735 4262

Enquiries:
William Mabasa
GM: Communications & Marketing - Kruger National Park
Tel: 013 735 4363; Cell: 082 807 3919
Email: william.mabasa@sanparks.org