Skip to Content

Shopping en route to Kruger.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Elsa

Re: Shopping en route to Kruger.

Unread postby Elsa » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:09 am

Wonderful itinerary Birdalf! :clap:

I would definitely do the shopping in Hazyview before entering the park.
There are good bottle stores either attached to the supermarkets or close by in the malls where where you will be able to pick up some great wine.
Unless you are really pushed for time rather enter at the Phabeni gate which is only about 15 kms from Hazyview and travel to Skukuza along the S1 in the park. 40 kms.

Depending on which camps you are staying at during your stay and if need be, you can always replenish your supplies from the shops in Phalaborwa which is just outside the gate of the same name.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Birderalf

Unread postby Birderalf » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:56 pm

Thanks for this great advice Elsa, you really are tremendously helpful and informative. We shouldn't be pushed for time so using the Phabeni gate is a great idea - in fact I can't think why I didn't come up with it myself.

We are staying at Skukuza, Satara, Shingwedzi, Punda Maria, Letaba, Olifants, Skukuza (again), Lower Sabie and Berg-en-Dal, which is a pretty comprehensive tour I know. We may well get a chance to "pop" out to Phalaborwa from Letaba, so that sounds like a plan.

I know that we can buy some wine at the shops in the camps but last time we visited they were a bit too "fruity" for our tastes. Naturally we still drank them.

Thanks again, I'm sure that I will have plenty more questions in the forthcoming months.

cheetahlady
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby cheetahlady » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:46 am

Hi Birderalf, we have just returned from a 18 day stay in KNP. Skukuza has a decent wine selection. I generaly find the northern camps tend to have a limited selection.

I suggest that you ask your local wine store for recommendations re SA wines that would suit your palate.

As far as shopping goes, there is the mall in White River that you almost have to drive past to get to the R40 to Hazyview. This has a woolworths food store. Hazyview is a good option as Elsa has said.

Enjoy.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2015
Mopani, Balule, Tamboti, Satara, Skukuza, Croc Bridge

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:05 am

cheetahlady wrote:As far as shopping goes, there is the mall in White River that you almost have to drive past to get to the R40 to Hazyview.
Birderalf is coming from the Pilgrims Rest area, not the airport cheetahlady. :thumbs_up:
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Return to “Kruger National Park”