View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: foods and amenities in Kruger and Phalaborwa
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:22 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Larry,
we always enter at Phalaborwa.
First we stock up at the Spar which is on the road to the park gate.
We buy a cooler there and stock up on food and drinks.
There is also an alcohol store right next door.
It is much cheaper to do your initial shop there than in the park and of course a full range of groceries is available.
If you are going to braai, then you can also get some charcoal or briquettes and a braai grill etc at Spar.
We snack on rusks, rusks and rusks :lol:
If you haven't tried rusks you must!
We ALWAYS take travel mugs so that we can make a cup of coffee, grab the rusks and other snacks and head off on a game drive early.
Other snacks can be biltong (plenty in Spar or park shops), dried fruit, cracker biscuits and cheese etc.
The park shops have lots of snack foods.

The camp shops sell bags of ice.
Some have an big ice and bag dispenser machine outside the shop.
Some you have to get out of a freezer in the shop itself.
Some fridges in the chalets have an ice tray but it is not a guarantee so buy one at Spar too. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Cafeteria food
Unread postPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:34 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi elosonegro!

Buy a cooler and stock up with groceries outside the park. The camps do have shops but the range is much more limited and more expensive. Not sure what you mean by coffee pot? We brought our own coffee plunger pot (or what you guys might call a french press) as there are none in the chalets. If you mean a coffee pot like I would call cowboy coffee pots then you will also need to bring one too although I think I have seen basic ones for sale in Kruger camp shops.

Post subject: Re: Cafeteria food
Unread postPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:04 am 

@elosonegro

If you coming from Hoedspruit, there is an excellent butcher to the south of town on the way to orpen gate.
Sells awesome meat and Biltong (Jerky)

We usually stock up for 3 or 4 days, as the freezers in the chalets are very small, but at least you have some fresh produce.

A box or two of long life milk as backup also goes a long way.

Every camp has an aluminium kettle in the chalet.
A flask is a good suggestion for morning drives, and making coffee at the picnic spots, who all supply hot water.

Post subject: Good supermarket stop on the way to Punda Maria?
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:32 pm 

In August early one Saturday morning we're driving from Jo'burg airport along the N1 and R524 (from Louis Trichardt) to PM.

Can anyone recommend a good place to stop for supplies? What I'm looking for is a well-stocked Spar, Pick 'n Pay etc which is close to the highway, has easy parking and is hassle free.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Post subject: Re: Good supermarket stop on the way to Punda Maria?
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:10 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

There is a good-sized shopping mall in Polokwane , very close to the by-pass to the north - ample parking :) .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:28 pm 

Yup Pietersburg (Polokwane) is your best bet.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:13 am 

I should have posted this question before our trip in April so I can tell you where NOT to go.

We went to the Pick n' Pay in Thohoyandou. It is close to the highway but we drove in circles for an hour looking for it in the various little shopping centers and asked directions several times. It was a saturday late afternoon and hardly had anything left, i have never seen a Pick n Pay like it. Strange thing is there was a ton of veggie meats which was good as I didn't find that in the park. We were staying 17 days in Kruger and wanted to stock up but we ended up buying a few things to get started and the rest along the way. They didnt even have rusks !

Beware of radar checks on the last part of the road after Thohoyandou especially. it is mostly a 60 zone and they were waiting for those of us in a hurry to make the gates before closure...

Have a great trip !

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:17 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

If you go through Thohoyandou, on the outskirts (left hand side) is a Shoprite with a bottle store and a petrol station close by. Basics are available (they even had rusks!) good veg selection. But first prize is definitely Polokwane. By the way, we went from Punda to this Shoprite one morning to stock up - left PM at 7 and were back in camp by 11.30

Post subject: Re: Shopping en route to Kruger.
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:48 am 

If you have the choice of shopping in Komatipoort or Malalane, which will you choose?
On a previous visit we did our shopping @ Komatipoort Spar and was satisfied with the quality and pricing of items.
This time we will be entering @ Malelane Gate en route to Pretoriuskop after a staying at a resort just outside Crocodile Bridge and will need to stock up on supplies before entering Kruger in December 2013.
I have no previous experience / knowledge of Malelane area and would appreciate any advice.
Otherwise I will stick to the tried and tested and shop @ Komatipoort before leaving for Malelane.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:26 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Malelane Spar is bigger than Komatipoort and often a little cheaper for some reason. The choice of bakery items is different in both stores though, and I prefer the savoury breads at Komati but the Portuguese rolls in Malelane are fantastic. The butchery items in Malelane are much better too.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:36 pm 

Thanks to all. Polkwane is a perfect place to break the journey and Mall of the North looks great.

Post subject: Re: Best locations to stock up on food/supplies before enter
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:42 pm 

Hi, we always do our shopping in Nelspruit. A great shopping mall with a perfect SPAR. Also a good PicknPay. No problems and the SPAR has good meat!

:thumbs_up:
Ruud

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:54 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
I do most of my shopping in Johannesburg before we leave but to get the last few things we stop at the Food Lovers Market in Tzaneen when entering through the Phalaborwa gate.

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:58 pm 

We are planning to shop in Malelane before entering the park and staying at B&D for a few days then heading to Satara and further North. Can you please give some guidence in organising for two weeks worth of food? We are not fussy eaters and trying to avoid the restuarants except for buying a buffalo pie! Hope to use the brrais as much as we can for most of our meals. What sorts of exotic fruits ( mango,papaya) are available in October?

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:14 pm 

Hi, we are in the uk and always pre=order our shop at Malelane pick n pay and collect it, you can go on the website look at whats available and make a list in a word document and email them it and they will have it put through the checkout and boxed for you so you just need to pay and collect it. We have local everything as much as possible, it starts our two week food supply off and we top up in the park. We buy everything including toiletries, sometimes there are substitutions but thats fine, we live on BBQ food and try everything. We drive from Joburg airport ina camper van and stay in hides, our van and also accommodation, a real mix. PM me if you need any more info. When do you go ? We travel in two days !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next