SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: drive into Moz
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:34 pm 

Hello TonyP,

Great.. thanks for your help/advise.
We are so exited.
We booked our flight 2 aug en fly back 21 aug.
Its difficult to arrange a car.... and drive into Mozambique.
But the company Europcar give me a conformation that its possible if we book a full insurance.
The cheapest car is a Daihatsu Terios ( not my style but its so expensive to rent a real 4x4.
I drive through Pakistan/Uganda/ruanda/Borneo/Bots/Zim so i hope I'm experienced enough.
But now a little bit different... my wife, son and daughter comes along.
So its have to be really safe, lots of swimming pools and family cottages.
But a few days bumpy road, dust, bush camp, little problems makes a swim in the blue see extra lovely. Nice from you that wanna help me out with the route... till now I only arrange the flight..... the rest is open en the reading and planning gives us a lot of joy.

thanks is advance
Serv

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:02 pm 

Hello Serv, I have a suggestion for you to consider.
Instead of going into Moz via Pafuri and then having to cross the Limpopo river in the little Terios, why not rather use the Giriyondo Border Post.
From there you go down to Massingir - Chokwe - Macia where you join the EN1 north and from there up the coast to Vilankulos.
I am really worried about using the other route in a vehicle without low range and on your own.
The last time I crossed the Limpopo on that route was in October (driest time of the year)and the water was still about 700mm deep with a soft sandy bottom.
You need to get out of the vehicle and walk across to pick the right line to avoid getting into deeper holes.

At Vilanculos, try to stay at the Blue Water Beach Resort (a guy by the name of Philipe runs the place) it caters for chalets or camping and has a lovely pool on the beach.

Try to spend as much time in Kruger as possible, it is a magical place and you will see all the animals the way they are supposed to be....in the wild.
Make sure you have all the necessary documentation before getting to the Moz border otherwise you will have huge problems.
You will need a visa, vehicle papers including a letter from the rental company giving permission to take it to Moz, Mozambique 3rd party insurance.
Also, don't delay in making bookings for the various rest camps in Kruger, they book up 11 months in advance.
Hope this all helps
Regards
Tony

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:52 am 

Living in Mozambique, north of XaiXai I can only urge you to accept TonyP's advice about not attempting to cross the Limpopo at Mapai in a Terios.
And with only one vehicle in the party.
Again, I repeat what he said: from Mapai you have to bush camp as well and need to be well prepared, including carrying fuel.

Use the Giriyondo border crossing, and the only change I would recommend is instead of going from Chokwe to Macia, turn left at Chokwe and cross the Limpopo on the new bridge to Guija.
Follow the tar to Chibutoand Chongoene where you join the EN1(some 12 kms north of XaiXai) and can head north to Vilankulo.
This will save you a 100+kms.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:17 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi serv

Since you're travelling alone, you should consider renting a satellite phone with airtime in the event of an emergency . Just do a google search for satellite phone rentals south africa.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:31 am 

If you use the Giriyondo route you won't need a satelight phone

Post subject: campsite or any accomodation pefuri-mapai-mabote-vilanculos
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:26 pm 

Hello everyone,

in august we go by 4x4 from pefuri to vilanculos. We read that do it in one day is suicide. But we do'nt have camping equipment with us. We do not need luxery..... is there a sleepingplace along the way...

Serv

Post subject: Re: campsite or any accomodation pefuri-mapai-mabote-vilanculos
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:38 pm 

Serv, you are taking a big chance and putting your family at risk doing this route in the Terios without another vehicle for support. I hope you will reconsider. It's not about your driving ability, the Terios is just not a true 4X4 and that route requires a vehicle with low range. If you continue with your plan, let it be know that you have been warned against it. If the vehicle breaks down or you get stuck there is very little other traffic on the route so who knows how long you will sit there.
There is nothing along that route so you will have to bush camp. Make sure you have extra fuel and plenty of water and don't forget the malaria medication.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:10 am 

thanks tonyp,
after your replies we are now looking for another/bigger car.... thats the reason i work on this forums.

We get on lariam/malerone or paludrine.... our health office in the Netherlands will advise us
in these.....

i hoped there is a maincamp at the entrance of Bahine National park??

Next week i get answer for the rental car compagny for another car.....

thanks alot for all the advises...

Greetings in advance
Serv

Post subject: Re: campsite or any accomodation pefuri-mapai-mabote-vilancu
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:28 am 

Hi Serv, a proper 4x4 with low range is the way to go.
Please understand that you will not be driving on a road, but rather a single lane sandy track through the bush. There is no camp in Bahine, these are proclaimed "Parks" but in fact are just wild wilderness areas with no infrastructure left after the civil war.
Also remember that if for any reason you have to venture off the track, your chances of hitting a land mine in these areas are still pretty good.
There is nothing to see along this route except Mopani bush which leaves scratches down the side of your vehicle, no animals (they've all been eaten).
Although sand track driving looks nice and smooth there are always things like hidden sharp rocks, sharp sticks etc that can puncture your tyre and with only one spare you could be in trouble.
In addition sand driving is hot slow work for the vehicle and you know what this can do to an engine.

Rather save the experience of getting a bigger vehicle and use the other route which the Terios will be fine for and there are some nice camp sites in the Limpopo Transfrontier Park which you go through.
There is enough traffic (although not a lot) on the Giriyondo route that if something happens to your vehicle you are not completely isolated.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:26 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Serv,
we are driving through to Bilene from Kruger in August.
We are hiring a Daihatsu Terios through Europcar (with the request of permission to go to Moz.)and will go via Giriyondo.
If you choose to go this route then I suggest you check out this fantastic page which has all the info and directions you need:[url=http://www.tfpd.co.za/.../how-to-get-from-phalaborwa-to-the-mozambiquan-coast-without-tears- -]

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:22 pm 

I haven´t been to Moz for a while and i don´t have experience with crossing the Border via Kruger.
But I really wouldnt recommend Moc with a 4X2 car.
You have only one tarred road the rest will be deep sand.
To see a bit from the country it is always a good Idea to keep away tourist Routes.

A Terios is always a good choice, very reliable and the performance on road and off road absolutely fine.

Here a few suggestions.
In Maputo there is an excellent Backpacker called the base.
Very cheap but very good.
Even for Families.
I went there on 2002 with my mom, Dad and my sister i was 15 years old and it was great.
To keep on going.
Close to Xai Xai there is a nice sleep over called Bamboozi.
You will have a direct link to the see and village.
And I and my Fam really enjoyed our stay.
But you have to be aware that during Full moon usually there is a Party which can be a bit loud.
But apart from that it´s really great.
I wouldn't recommend Morrungulo we were not satisfied with this.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:13 pm 

The road from Pafuri to Mapai is 90km of rough road through villages (which are interesting - but no game) - you can camp at Limpopo Park Mapai gate (Nhampfule camp), but no chalets. Otherwise I am not aware of any accommodation on route from Pafuri and this route tends to be a way to get to the destination more than a route to have experiences on the way.

The Giriyondo route via Massingir/Chokwe/EN1 is far better quality road and more attractive. You can stay at very nice chalets in LNP at Aguia Pesqueira (lovely views over the dam) or at Albufeira (more a transit camp). I suggest make a visit to LNP website www/limpopopn.gov.mz and select Tourism tab to see more on your options

Rgds
Octo

Post subject: Re: Giriyondo to Inhambane
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:30 am 

Hi firefinch,

thanks a lot for the information. It is great to hear that the roadworks on the road from Komatipoort to Inhambane are finished now. The road was in a terrible condition last year.

Do you also know anything about the road further north from Inhambane to Vilanculos? Last year this road was even worse than the road between Komatipoort and Inhambane.

Post subject: Limpopo Transfrontier park
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:59 am 

We are going to Tsendze the 17th and 19th of December.
On the morning of the 18th we want to go through the Giriyondo border post and drive up towards the Mapai border post.
Sleep in that vicinity and the next day drive to the Pafuri border post and back down again to Tsendze.

Has anyone done something similar?
Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated!
Hendrik

Post subject: Re: Limpopo Transfrontier park
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:36 pm 

There is no road directly from Giriyondo to Mapai.
Also, one day will not be enough to drive from Mapai to Tsendze via Pafuri.
The roads are too bad.

My counsel is to finish your visit to Tsendze and then go via Aguia Pesqueira (sleep there, it is a wonderfully beautiful camp).
Then on to Nhampfule near Mapai and then on to Pafuri.
It will be a long day, since the road is nothing to be excited about.
Go with a 4x4 or a high vehicle.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next