Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Transfrontier Parks (GLTP) - Limpopo National Park
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:53 pm 

Hi DB

The information on Limpopo NP is very limited but you can contact Heloise de Villiers on limpopo@wol.co.za for information. The existing website is being updated to provide a map and park facilities - hopefully this will be done in a month or so (things happen slowly in Africa).

Regarding your questions - you can enter the Park from KNP at Pafuri (north) or Giriyondo (south). There are chalets and camping at Aguia Pesqueira (Fish Eagle Camp - about 1 1/2 hr from Giriyondo) and Albufeira (at Massingir gate about 2 hr from Giriyondo) - A.P. has lovely views across the dam and is definately the better of the two.

You can also stay at Machampagne camp which is positioned on a lovely pool, it is a little pricey by National Park price standards but includes meals and a morning walk where they have reasonably good sightings on foot. I cant recall the website but the camp is operated by Transfrontier trails so you should find them on a web search. The same company also offers guided, self-drive 4x4 trails through the park

You can also self drive through the park (although having a guide is better experience) There are also 2 basic 4x4 unfenced camps (rustic ablution + fire place) in the park - Nnamphfule (near Mapai) and Sandalo. You can enter at Pafuri and head down the Limpopo and enter the Park proper at Mapai gate where Nanmphfule camp is located (about 150km or 4 hrs from Pafuri)....then head south for about 150km (4 hrs) to Sandalo and then another say 100km (3 hrs) to Aguia Pesqueira and another 70km (say 1 1/2hrs) to Giriyondo.....the best is to get a map from Heloise to get a perspective on location etc.

At present the Parks attraction is the wilderness and bush scenery experience and there are some new 4x4 trails being worked on. There are also plans to increase the parks wildlife viewing roads in the SW of the Park (where the varst majority of wildlife is located, partly with thanks to KNP relocation project which appears to have been a success) - this should improve the Parks tourism product to try work off the bush to beach rush reputation....a lot of work to do to get even remotely close to KNP !

Post subject: Re: Transfrontier Parks (GLTP) - Limpopo National Park
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:31 am 

Thank you so much for you very comprehensive reply octo! Most helpful indeed.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject: Re: travel advice re mozambique via giriyondo
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:44 pm 

The road through Limpopo NP is about 70km long (2 hours drive) and the first 30km has just been re-graded so this section is in very good condition - the rest is mostly in reasonable condition but there are some stretches which need work and one would travel slower on these areas. Ideally you should have a high clearance vehicle (4x4 not essential) for this road and there are many caravans and boats that travel this route although being a gravel road one should maintain to the speed limits and you would be ok.

Limpopo NP (part of the GLTP along with Kruger) has 2 camps (Albufeira and Aguia Pesqueira which means Fish Eagle and has lovely views over the dam) on this road, both with chalets and camping and if you want to use these facilities you can book through Heloise at Limpopo@wol.co.za - and you could also stay at Letaba on route as well.

Giriyondo border post is very pleasant and reasonably quick (always under 1/2 hour) so this is far less stressful than the other border posts. It is currently open from 8am - 3pm.

As for times: Phalaborwa - Giriyodondo - 2 to 2 1/2 hours (at the speed limit) ; Giriyondo border post (1/2 hour) ; Giriyondo to Massingir LNP Gate (70km - 2 hours) ; Massingir Gate to Macia (I think about 170km or 2 1/2 hours - there is a 60km stretch of road between Massingir and Chokwe which is badly potholed but the good part is that there are no traffic cops on this road) ;Macia to Xai Xai (60km or 3/4 hour)

Which route to go is your choice - if you are travelling from North of Jhb/Pretoria then I would go via Giriyondo as it is shorter - but if travelling from Jhb or Pretoria then I would say the southern route is quicker by an hour or two but you miss out on some relaxing travelling through KNP / LNP and you have a more stressful border crossing - so you can balance time vs stress as to what is more important

Post subject: Camps on the Mozambique side of KNP
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:22 am 

My son is travelling to Mozambique through Giriyondo borderpost near Letaba. Are there any places to stay on the Moz side? Thanks for your help!

Post subject: Re: Camps on the Mozambique side of KNP
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:00 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Jip if my memory serves me correct, there are 3 camps to stay at. Not sure whether they are camping only. Will have to look for my maps with more info :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:00 pm 

I drove to the border post on Thursday to check it out.
As they told me the most popular camp site is called Campiso Aquila.
It is at the Massingir dam.
If you get to the border post they will give you all the info.
I think its better to book before you go.
The name of the park is Limpopo national park or parque nacional do limpopo.
My map shows 4 camps (4 x 4) and 2 camps (sedan cars)
Bookings limpopo national parks 013 752 3314 or 072 447 4279

Gate tel nr 013 735 8919
Machampane Widerness trails bookings 012 426 5111
Hope this info is helpfull and tell your son if there place in his bag for me he must pm me pls :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:03 pm 

OOOPPPPSSSS
Almost forgot,remember to get all the papers you need to take your car threw the border post

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:11 am 

30kms into the Park on the Mozambique side is Machampane Wilderness Camp, a luxury camp with safari tents. (http://www.dolimpopo.com) Ph: +27 21 701 7860 to book.
Just south of the Park, 14kms outside Massingir on the southern shores of the Massingir dam is Covane Fishing & Safari Lodge. They have traditional units and camping facilities. Phone tel: +258 824 813 414 | email: tinus.covane@gmail.com for bookings.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:34 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I've stayed at Machampane (not as a paying guest, as a canoe guide) and its in a very nice setting :thumbs_up:

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Post subject: going into limpopo park
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:53 pm 

Does anyone know how expensive and difficult it is for 2 Brits to cross over the borderpost at Gyriondo and if it worth the trouble.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: going into limpopo park
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:05 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the forum kitd

I have driven the southern road towards Moz part and I have never got the impression that it would be better than the Kruger part.

Animals that are relocated tend to wander back to where they came from, and game introductions often depend on animals finding a new territory by expansion.

Post subject: Exiting Giriyondo border post
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:54 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi,
next September we want to exit Kruger via Giriyondo and proceed direct to Bilene on the coast of Moz. Do we need 4x4 for the most direct route?
Thanks for any advice

Post subject: Re: Exiting Giriyondo border post
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:03 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

From what I can see on Google Maps you won't need to, provided that you go via the 'normal' Giriyondo - Massingir road.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Crossing border to mozambique campsites
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:06 pm 

I'm planning a trip from south Africa to Mozambique :dance: (12dec till 2jan) and wanted cross borders in Kruger park. the last stop before Kruger will be Sabie (will be staying there at a friends place) and had the idea cross Mozambican border @ macandezulo cause I have to end in Vilanculos (Moz.) I'll be driving a fully equiped 4x4 with tents.
Any advise is welcome! :D

Post subject: Re: Exiting Giriyondo border post
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:48 am 

Thr road will be fine for non 4x4 vehicles in September. After rain, it gets little sticky, but that is unlikely at that time of year. There are some beautiful camps on the road through, with both chalets and camp sites. Just a word of warning on visas for Moz if you are not on a SA or SADC passport. The fees have increased enormously to, at present, around R560 per passport. If you need a visa I would advise obtaining from overseas or in SA at Moz high commissions/embassies. Some borders have the capacity to issue these new biometric visas, but did not see the equipment when last at Giriyondo. Anyone planning to get a visa at that border (or Pafuri) should check well in advance if they are still able to issue them. You can get them issued at Komatipoort and the two Swaziland borders.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next