Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Limpopo Transfrontier park
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:58 am 

I've spoken to a few people and this is what I learned so far.
From Giriyonde to Nhampfula (mambacamp), which is near Mapai, is about 200km and takes 8-10hrs to drive. From Nhampfula to Pafuri takes anything from 3-10hrs, depending on road conditions.

We will be at Giriyondo border post before 8 so that we have as long as possible time to drive in sunlight.
If its too wet we will turn around and maybe sleep near Massinger dam or at the camp before we cross the Shingwedzi river.
If the road is dry we will push trough to Nhampfula camp.
The next day we will start very early and hopefully be at Pafuri before noon.
It it takes to long we would rather sleep and Punda Maria (I'm sure there will be camping space), but if time is available we will drive back down to Tsendze.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:14 pm 

Mnr Vermaak, just note that Mamba Camp is not the same as Nhampfula.
It is a concessionaire camp not open to the general public.
It is situated quite near Nhampfula, though.

Your trip plan may be possible.
I see you have a plan B in place for when it is too wet, which is a good thing.
What worries me most, though is that you will then not see the beautiful camps next to the Massingir Dam, since you will turn left towards Nhampfula before you reach the dam.

Whatever the case may be, I would like to hear how things went and also the animals you saw along the way. I think you are going to enjoy the trip very much.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:45 pm 

The road from the Giriyondo-Massingir route northwards requires a high clearance in dry season and a 4x4 in the wet season.
If there has been good rain in the previous week then I would recommend not to do the trip (unless you are an experienced and equipped 4x4 traveller with at least 2 vehicles) as some of the roads become real 4x4 territory and as there is a river crossing of the Shingwedzi river.

Aguia Pesqueira camp is in the south (1 hr from Giriyondo) and is a very quiet camp with lovely views across Massingir Dam.
A trip to Massingir itself may also be of interest to see the dam wall and village.

Most of the game is concentrated in the west and central of the Park and so game sightings will be limited (especially for those racing between Giriyondo and Massingir) -
however the attraction of Limpopo Park is the Wilderness - exploring new areas, camping without fences and other tourists etc.

If you head to Pafuri then you have access to Giriyondo (about 2km from the Giriyondo border - a dry camp with enviro loo and bucket shower) then Mbona Kaya (about 3 hours from Giriyondo - Dry camp with enviro loo and bucket shower area with lovely views over the Shingwedzi river -
in dry season there is a waterhole which has some good sightings and comes HIGHLY recommended) then Sandalo (about 4 hours from Giriyondo - a wet camp with shower/toilet - for me the previous 2 camps are more scenic) then Nhampfule camp (at Mapai Gate - about 6-7 hours from Giriyondo - also a wet camp with showers and toilet).
It is about another 3 hours from Mapai to Pafuri.
I would recommend making a visit to the Shingwedzi Cliffs viewpoint when passing through.
Mamba camp is only accessible to the 4x4 trail operators.
There is a plan to set up a 4x4 camp at Pafuri during the course of next year and to expand the 4x4 camps into the Parks sandveld ....more news on this in the new year.

If you send me a mail then I can send you more info on the Park - otherwise you can have a look at the website (http://www.limpopopn.gov.mz) although this does need some updating.

Hope this helps...

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:50 pm 

Octo, I was not aware that one may visit the Giriyondo and Mbona Kaya camps in the park.
Did the rules change or what, since both times I went there,
I was told only Nhampfule, Aguia Pesqueira, Sandalo and Albufeira can be utilised by the public.
Can you shed more light on this?

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:58 am 

Hello octo,
I am not no concerned about game. It is more about the experience. It will be me and my dad. The wife and I will go to KNP a week later so I will keep my game spotting for then.... :D

Thanks for all the info!

I would appreciate any additional info.

hendrikv@iadsa.co.za

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:52 pm 

Hendrik - I have mailed you some more info on the Park

Pieter - these are 2 new camps and the Park plans to open up some more next year.
PNL has a limited game product at present (especially as compared to KNP) but has huge 4x4 potential and the intention is to have about 8 4x4 camps (dry, unfenced) to compliment the existing wet camps - with each camp being located in a different landscape from Giriyondo Lebombos - Mbona Kaya Shingwedzi - Parfuri Limpopo riverine forest - Monso sandveld pan system etc.
Hopefully early next year more info will be made available in time for the 4x4 season which is best after the rains.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:15 pm 

Octo, that is fabulous news!
We visited Tankwa Karoo NP a few weeks ago, and their camping sites were wonderful.
Alone in nature, far from others.
I think LNP is on the right track.
Hope there are a few next to or near the Limpopo as well.

Post subject: Olifants to Campismo Albufeiro
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:16 pm 

We have plans to visit Mozambique, after 4 days in KNP we leave Olifants on May 4 in our 4x4 thru Giriyondo Gate and toward Massingir Dam area.

We already have our visas for Mozambique
and reservations on both sides of the park.

How long will the drive take?
any particular maps or guide books recommended? (especially something I can download)?
I'm not sure if I can ask that question on the listserv...

The following day we head to the Mozambique coast with an overnight 60km north of Xai Xai.
I hear the route can be rough
but I'm not sure how many hours of driving that day might be.

any guidance is welcome.

Post subject: Re: Olifants to Campismo Albufeiro
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:22 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

check out www.mozguide.com which has a huge amount of info including a very knowledgeable forum.

Post subject: From KNP via Parfuri into Zimbabwe?
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:58 pm 

My question is likely an unusual one... After visiting Kruger I would like to travel to Zimbabwe, the destination there is called Humani, south-east of Masvingo. Of course I could go to Louis Trichardt and from there to Beitbridge but that would be quite a detour. Is there a Zim/SA border control at Parfuri? And what about a road to Humani... ? I hope one of you can give me some infos.

Post subject: Re: From KNP via Parfuri into Zimbabwe?
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:56 pm 

You can cross into Mozambique at Pafuri. Just passed the Pafuri border you cross the limpopo(if dry). Then follow the track straight to Sango(Chiqualaguala) border post. You will need a 4x4 and if the river is flowing you will not be able to cross right after Pafuri but will need to go further south to cross.

I have a link to the route with maps on another forum but not sure if i can post it here. If you are interested pm me.

Post subject: Leaving & entering Kruger to/from Mocambique
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:43 pm 

Good afternoon,

Please provide info on the gate bordering Mozambique.
What is it's name?
Is it in operation daily?
Why isn't it listed as an entry gate together with the others?
Which is the closest camp to it?

Please provide any further information regarding the gate as we intend to visit Mozambique after a Kruger visit.

& then return via Kruger from Mozambique.

Post subject: Re: Leaving & entering Kruger to/from Mocambique
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Fisheagle,

And welcome to the forums :thumbs_up:

The gate between Kruger and Moz is called Giriyondo and you can find more information on it here

http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/get_there/giriyondo.php

The closest camps are Letaba (+-42km's) and Mopani (+-49km's)

I am assuming you mean the gate entering from Kruger into the Moz side of the transfrontier park?

2010 KNP
Nov 13-14 Lower Sabie, 15-18 Satara, 19-22 Skukuza,22-27 Biyamiti
Dec 24-27 Biyamiti, 28-29 Orpen, 30-31 Skukuza
Thought for the day
TR March 2010

Post subject: Re: Leaving & entering Kruger to/from Mocambique
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:28 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Fisheagle There are two border posts Parfuri and giriyondo . They are open every day . only thing is you have to stay in KNP for at least one night either side if you want to tavel to MOZ. and its 4X4 's only

Post subject: Re: Olifants to Campismo Albufeiro
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:12 pm 

Hi

Giriyondo border is usually quick and hassle free - remember your vehicle and trailer papers - sometimes they will ask for you to pay duties on goods - you are allowed to take over any equipment reasonably required for the holiday and 5000Mt (about R1300) per person for food

From Giriyondo to Albufeira is 70km - about 1 3/4 hrs - it is a dirt road, no 4x4 vehicle is needed, although it can be rough going on a sedan.

From Albufeira to Chokwe is about 120km - about 2 hrs - the road is tarred but but is under maintenance (for a long time now...) with a number of humps and dips to go through.

From Chokwe (travel straight through) to Macia is about 1 hr - say 70km - also tarred but with sections of pot holes

At Macia turn left and travel to and through Xai Xai - the road is excellent - but keep to speed limits and ensure you have a triangle and reflection vest in your vehicles as the traffic cops need to make their quotas...

If you need info on Limpopo, Lodovico (the genteman who would have done your booking at Albufeira) will be able to give you a Fact sheet on the Park. Take note that Limpopo is stil in the development phase with some villages and cattle in the Park as one heads further eastward from Giriyondo. If you are after wildlife Machampane is the place to stay - if you are after a camp with nice views and quiete surroundings then Aguia PEsqueira is he camp - otherwise there is Albufeira which is a good transit camp with neat chalets

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next