SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: USE OF FLOOD / SPOTLIGHTS
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Oryx wrote:
Johanrebel, yeah it`s interesting, isn`t it, the fact that a red filter is a commercial non-starter. It actually means that possible damage to an animal`s eyes or a disturbance is of secondary importance to sightings for the elderly and video phtography. Makes one think!!
Yeah, that's why I wrote commercial non-starter.

Years ago, the rest camp shops sold a book called Kruger Park, Questions & Answers. One of the questions was why night drives were not allowed. I do not have the book to hand, so cannot quote the answer (will look it up when I get home next year), but the reason given was that it would cause disturbance to the animals. Then, all of a sudden, SANParks started offering night drives from all rest camps. Now that would not have been for commercial reasons, would it now?

Leaving aside the commercial aspects, the whole issue is still quite complex, both the damage and disturbance aspects.

I spend a lot of time observing animals at night on foot, and have found that animals generally are not much disturbed by the light at all. Makes me wonder whether vehicle size/noise/proximity are not more of a disturbance than the light.

Johan

Post subject: Re: Tips for Spotlights
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:05 pm 

Bump