Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Best Routes - KZN to Kruger.
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:38 am 

We will be driving from Imfolozi to Kruger via Barberton in October. *Probably the N2 route through Pongola and Piet. Has anyone done this route recently. Are there still roadworks on this section of the N2?

Thanks

Post subject: Durban to Punda Maria / Pafuri Gate
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:09 am 

Hello everybody
I am planning a trip to Kruger next year in June and will be driving from Durban. I plan to split the trip and spend a night somewhere outside the park but need to know which is the better route - do I go via Jhb and Polokwane or do I go via Ermelo Lydenberg Giyani. I may even do it all in one go because I am Kruger crazy and when the day of departure arrives I am always chomping at the bit to get there :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:35 am 

mad4wildlife

I have family who just drove up to Kruger from KZN, through Pongola, Piet Retief, Badplaas etc. and back through Swaziland (much shorter in distance). They were pleased with the Pongola, Piet road and reported that all roadworks are now complete. They complained about the state of the road in Swaziland.

24/11 - 27/11 Lower Sabie
28/11 - 1/12 Olifants
2/12 - 5/12 Skukuza
x
9/12 - 11/12 Pretoriuskop
12/12 - 18/12 Satara
19/12 - 22/12 Berg-en-Dal

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:05 pm 

Rooikat wrote:
They complained about the state of the road in Swaziland.
Do you know which roads were bad Rooikat as when we travelled through in June there was only the Siteki piece that was potholed, about 30 odd kms and it always has been like that to a varying degree since we have been using it.
IMO Still very worth while, with the saving in time and distance and the cheaper fuel available there.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:09 pm 

The Swazi way is definitely the shortest if you are going to the Southern part of Kruger but if you are heading north, like Punda Maria / Shingwedzi then it is not the way to go.
Anyone out there have any advice for my earlier query?

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:12 am 

Elsa, you are right. They said that it was just part of the road that was terrible, but it was enough to put them of from using it on the next trip.
Also, they are worried that it would be too complicated to take food through the Swazi-border?

28/11 - 1/12 Olifants
2/12 - 5/12 Skukuza
x
12/12 - 18/12 Satara

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

josey,
I would take the N3 from Durban all the way to Jhb then the N1 north to Pietersburg. Not sure of the road condition north from Pietersburg as I usually turn off to Phalaborwa (which I recommend if you are heading for Shingwedzi).
You will be travelling on highways most of the way which of course makes for much more relaxed and safe travelling, unfortunately the toll fees will be quite heavy.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Rooikat, meat seems to be the food that they are concerned about and they sometimes look at our cool box to check for meat.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:48 am 

Have just returned from Kruger from Pietermaritzburg - going there we drove up to Ladysmith / Ermelo / Badplaas and then up to Orpen as we spent a few days at Badplaas and on the return trip we went straight from Crocodile Bridge through Swaziland and then along the coast back home. The Siteki section is in much better condition than before - the majority of the potholes have been covered thank goodness!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:21 am 

shortcourse, how long did the trip from PMB to KNP take you?

We have to decide which road to take from Weenen to Phabeni...and we are considering a third option: Highway over Van Reenen's to JHB and to KNP on the N4...Longer drive, but less hassle, or not?

28/11 - 1/12 Olifants
2/12 - 5/12 Skukuza
x
12/12 - 18/12 Satara

Post subject: Road Condition Pietermaritzburg to Crocodile Bridge
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:00 pm 

Travelling from Pietermaritzburg to Croc Bridge October 2013 via Ladysmith ,Vryheid , Paulpiet, Piet Retief, Westoe Dam,Lochiel, Badplaas, Barberton,Kaapmuiden.

I have heard that there are numerous roadworks and Stop/Go sections.Is that still the situation and how long should the trip take if attempted in 1 day?

Post subject: ADVICE ON ROUTE FROM KZN TO MALELANE GATE, KRUGER
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:24 am 

Good Morning,

We are travelling to Kruger from Durban next month, and would welcome any advice / updates on the best route to follow currently - we will not be going through Swaziland.

Many thanks.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

From Durban for Malelane and Komatipoort - Basically either route via Newcastle , Ermelo, Carolina Barberton at Barberton take R38 to Kaapmuiden about 780kms to Malelane with road works Ladysmith to Newcastle speed humps 40km/h ( road works in gorge between Nelspruit and Kaapmuiden up to 1h30 wait. avoid this routing via Nelspruit)
Other route via Ging, Eshowe Vryheid Piet Retief Amsterdam Barberton R38 to Kaapmuiden again about 750kms to Malelane.
the route Barberton to Malelane on R38 when you get to Barberton T junction turn right towards Barberton town follow road straight for about 4/5km to main cross roads turn left here onto R38 to Kaapmuiden .

The route via Swaziland to Malelane is 630 kms and Croc Bridge 605kms, the section in Swaziland Big bend to Siteki has a lot of potholes so will be slower 70-80km/h for 38kms. there are some road works on the R571 between the Selati sugermill and Komatipoort, you will need to do about 5kms of this from just before the mill to the Hectorspruit turning just after the mill, then turn right onto the Hectorspruit road and follow this road straight through if you are going to Malelane if you are going to Croc Bridge take this Hectorspruit road for about 9 kms until you hit the S bends and single lane bridge by the river, 1km after the bridge over the river turn right for about 8 kms this will bring you out by the customs clearing offices on the N4 where you will turn right for 1km to the main komatipoort town turning and bypass all the road works.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:27 pm 

Thanks for such a comprehensive update Wingman! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:04 pm 

Thanks wingman :thumbs_up:

Are there still a lot of road works between the Selati sugermill and Komatipoort as I’m travelling that way in a month?

Should I rather take the alternate route which you have posted?