Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: KNP bans liquor in its public areas
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:40 pm 

I think this rule is great!! And I also love my drinks, but I am behind this rule totally.

I really enjoy a drink in Kruger, but I dont have to have a drink to enjoy Kruger.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:18 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I just believe that the original problem has been forgotten and some forumites are taking matters too personally.

Sanparks had a serious problem with day visitors coming into the park in vehicles loaded with alcohol and then spending their time at the picnic sites partying, making a noise and behaving badly, plus leaving litter wherever they please. As I understand it some were entering the swimming pools in the noddy in front of children to boot.

Now that is very difficult to deal with. In theory, Sanparks staff could round up and order the drunken party people and litterbugs out of the park, but it is not a nice job and difficult to deal with a large group of unruly drunken people as any barman would attest. And they can hardly call the police. :shock:

Furthermore, there is not enough staff at day visitor or picnic sites to undertake such a task. If it were me, I would steer well clear.

So what to do? The simplest and most effective way is to ban day visitors from coming into the park just to party by not allowing them to bring alcohol in or allow visitors to drink anywhere but accomodation and restaurants.

Now, that unfortunately affects those nature lovers who are not antisocial and want to sit quietly enjoying a "cold one" at a site or waterhole. Furthermore those nature lovers are unlikely to speed or knock down and kill wildlife.

Personally, I am rather partial to Champagne and I would love to sit in a hide enjoying a glass however, I would be appalled to witness the behaviour that has been recorded on the forum.

So, no booze. :(

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:06 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Missings you are so right, though we'll never get some peeps to agree with us, I fear!!! :(

We spent 9 days in the park in December, and at times it was a nightmare with the party goers!!!
We went back in March and we were there when the new rules kicked in and what a difference!!

My SO and I love a drink or two or three or four!! (though one of us is ALWAYS the designated driver)

Sept will be the first time we visit the park as day visitors, having always stayed in the park up till now (in 35 years of visiting the park!!)
We are renting a cottage, and hope to go in 3/4 times a week, for 10 weeks, so we will be subject to the alcohol rules.
If it means I can visit my beloved place with no drunken party goers causing a problem at the day areas, or speeding to reach the gate before they get a fine, then so be it!!!

SANparks wanted to stop the party goers, and the only reason they came to the park was to drink alcohol, so to me this seems like a logical process.

Missings is right.
To try and police the whoie park for alcohol offenders would be very difficult, and therefore an outright ban for day visitors IMHO was definitely the way to go!!!

Long may my beloved park be free from the party going day visitors who had started to make me wish I was in a different place at times!!

Unread postPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:41 am 

I was under the impression that roads in the Kruger are subject to the same rules and regs as outside the park therefore if you are drinking at picnic spots and are stopped on the road you could technically be guilty of Driving Under the Influence if you were to be given a breathalyzer and found to be over the legal limit?

Personally I keep my frosties for around the camp fire at night as I don't want anything to detract from the beauty and magnificence of the Park experience :dance:

26/10/14 Tsendze
28/10/14 Letaba
30/10/14 Satara
03/11/14 Maroela
05/11/14 Satara
07/11/14 Berg-en-Dal
10/11/14 BOO HOO TIME - Off Home

Unread postPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have just returned from Kruger and was very amused.

If you are a day visited you may not take alcohol into the park.

We where staying in Kruger and went to the shop at Satara to buy some wine and a bottle of Amarula, well they are supposed to ask you for proof that you arena overnight guest,nothing, we bought what we wanted and left.

Now my question is, if they confiscate, day visitors alcohol at the gate no problem, you just go to the park shop and buy some :shock: :shock:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:40 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that the rule was that if you bought liquor in the park shop, you had to show your booking slip to prove you were a overnight visitor, as day visitors were not allowed to purchase alcohol in the shops.maybe this is not correct, but its how I understood it

Unread postPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:16 am 

Carol that is the rule although it is not always enforced.

I think if you buy liquor after the gate has closed then they assume you are staying overnight.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:36 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I happened to be in KNP over the easter weekend (by default) and at Letaba shop I bought an alcoholic beverage and was merely asked if I was an overnight visitor , I was not required to furnish proof .
What I want to get at is that it would be physucally impossible for the till staff to enforce the rule of supplying documentary proof - the queue was 10 or more persons long and to refuse a visitor alcohol at over the easter weekend after they had been queing for 10 minutes would cause mayhem ...

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Penny wrote:
We always arrange for a permit to carry our alochol through the Park. I go to extreme lengths before our trip to put all my ducks in a row and get everything right regarding dates and Gates. On our last visit we had car problems which necessitated an unforeseen trip to Nelspruit to try and rectify the problem which meant that instead of using Paul Kruger Gate we in fact used Malelane Gate - this caused utter consternation at the gate despite us showing all the paperwork from the garage. In the time that the gate staff were running around not knowing what to do - mini bus taxis and other vehicles were simply waved past us into the Park.

I had an extremely interesting discussion with one of the Camp Managers about the rulings regarding alochol in camps and it brought up some interesting points that he felt had not been addressed in the blanket ruling. For example it is now illegal to sit and sip your beer quietely in the hide inside the camp and we both wondered how this was ever going to be inforced.

So sad that those of us who have always been circumspect have to be punished because of the flagrant mis-behaviour of others.

Penny, have to tell you this is happening all over the world, not just South Africa.

The few spoil it for the many.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:21 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
It's all very well saying that it will take to much time to check if people are overnight visitors, in the shops, but that was the rule that was made. If a rule cannot be enforced, then why make it.Day visitors will soon cotton on to the fact that they can buy alcohol in the shops and so the gate rule won't be necessary, they will just come in and buy it in the shops :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:13 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

From reports of visitors such as Crested Val the rule is working.

They can never really enforce the rules completely especially if the camp shops are very busy.

The main thing is large groups of people are no longer entering with cars loaded with alcohol, just to spend the day partying and making a nuisance of themselves. If they buy in a shop inside camp, it is unlikely to be of sufficient quantity to fuel the problems that have spoilt The Kruger for other visitors.

And it is far easier for the staff to enforce the rules if people are drinking in the picnic sites designated for day visitors, as it is just simply against the rules.

Post subject: bringing alcohol with us
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:02 am 

Hi there all.
Just want to find what the exact rules are regarding bringing alcohol into the park.
We will be staying over in the parks for 6 nights and want to bring along a bottle or two of wine to enjoy after dinner around the camp fire
Thank you
Regards

Post subject: Re: bringing alcohol with us
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:16 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Reg Knott enjoy your upcoming visit to Kruger :thumbs_up: :cam:

We stayed in Skukuza in July and one evening we wanted to buy a bottle of wine and we did not had our papers with us and they said no bottle of wine without us showing our papers.

Well done Skukuza Shop for ensuring that rules are complied with :thumbs_up: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Post subject: Re: bringing alcohol with us
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:25 am 

Thanks Grantmissy.
I am glad this rule was brought in and is being enforced as i have seen so many incidents were day visitors have over indulged and are abusive to anyone around that might say something. Not to mention the litter that takes place as they drive around. Beside drinking and driving being against the law, the people are also noisy and chase the animals away with the sound systems in the cars blarring away too
I enjoy a glass or two after dinner around the campfire to wind the day down. Nice and quiet and reflect on the days experiences and sightings

Post subject: Alcohol with a reservation
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:51 pm 

Hi Guys

Has the regulations involving bringing Alcohol into Kruger, with overnight accommodation, changed?

We entered at Numbi a few weeks ago, en route to Lower Sabie for a few nights, and were asked whether we had any Liquor in the vehicle.

Did they make a mistake, or am I allowed to bring liquor in if I have overnight accomm?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next