Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Herewith a quote:

Quote:
Media Release: KNP bans liquor in its public areas
Back to all news

Date: 9th March 2011

Day visitors to the Kruger National Park will no longer be allowed to bring or consume alcohol in public areas such as parking lots, picnic sites, wildlife viewing areas or roads, gates and all other areas designated as public as from Friday 18 March 2011.

The restrictions will not apply to overnight visitors who will be allowed to bring in own alcohol for consumption in the privacy of their booked accommodation and the restaurants. Like day visitors, overnight visitors will be bound by the same rules of not drinking in public.

Post subject: Re: KNP bans liquor in its public areas
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:13 pm 

Desperate times need desperate measures!!!!

Well done SANParks for not sitting on the fence and doing something, albeit pretty drastic!!

BUT......................

Does that mean I can't sit at a waterhole and sip a cold alcoholic beverage?
Does it mean I can't sit at a prolonged siting and sip a cold alcoholic beverage?
Does it mean I can't transport any alcoholic beverage in my vehicle during my self driven game drives?
Does it mean no more cold ones while sitting at a hide during the week when theres not another single person for over 3 hours that visits it?
Does it mean no more quiet cold ones in the back of the SANParks game drives?

Does it also mean that we will have "tasters"? The Joe Soap public that are being discriminated against here will invent ingenious ways to bring the stuff in. Think brandy injected naartjies and 2 litre coke bottles laced with "klippies".

Don't get me wrong, I applaud the direction the new rules are going, but why don't SANParks go the whole hog. Like banning the playing of music fullstop. Ban the use of taxis as a means of transport within the park too.

The current rule changes will have alot of grey areas and i'm sure as time goes by, these "loop holes" will be identified and either relaxed or closed.

I reiterate, WELL DONE SANParks!! A step in the right direction if you ask me.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:13 pm 

I applaud KNP for taking these steps, I visited the park last year and found that there were definitely some people who could not behave themselves after having a couple of drinks.
I also feel sorry for the poor security guys who will have to enforce these rules, its going to take forever.
I must say that the only problem i have is, as stated before, that i will now nolonger be able to get my hands on those delicious ice cold draughts at afsaal...and i was really looking forward to having one or two of those with the old man and brother when we visit over easter...wouldnt KNP be able to maybe allow sale of alcohol at these designated areas, especially as it is in draught form, you cant take it with you and you cant bring it into the park with you either...
Guess we shouldnt complain too much seeing that we arnt going to the park for a party, but rather to enjoy nature, dont always need beer to do that do we?

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:08 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Extensive plans are being put in place to police this. SANParks staff and even some 40 SANParks Honorary Rangers are involved. It is being taken extremely seriously.

No doubt, the first try won't be perfect, but I am sure that a big difference will be achieved.

Overnight visitors may only use alcohol in the vicinity of their accommodation. No drinking and driving, no alcohol at pic nick sites.

According to the law SANParks are completely within their rights to fine transgressors, or confiscate alcohol smuggled in. By entering in to a National Park you agree to a special set of laws, which govern the park. It is the same principal as municipalities having the ability to enact by laws. This is why they can fine you for getting out of your vehicle, something which will not happen in other places.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:05 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

It will be as simple as.......get rid of it or you do not come in. And if you get rid of it into yourself you won't come in either!

By the way, the flyer which will be given to everyone also states 'no smoking except in demarcated areas' - for those who have asked about that rule too.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:39 am 

Unfortunately its once again, the minority who can't control themselves that have spoilt it for the majority who can!
Seems to be a fact of life nowadays.

Much like the folks in the cities who don't control their speed, now the rest of us who do, have to endure these infernal speed humps over vast areas, waste fuel, subject our vehicles to extra stress and strain.
Why can't they just hit the offenders hard?

I think that mayor of New York had it right with his policy of getting the small wrongs sorted out and the others bigger ones followed.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:41 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

RobertT wrote:
Elsa wrote:
I think that mayor of New York had it right with his policy of getting the small wrongs sorted out and the others bigger ones followed.

Is that not what they are doing? It is illegal to drink and drive and also in public places unless in a licenced/designated area. Sanparks have just been lax on these laws.

What I do find funny is how some of the people shouting for a crack down on lawbreakers are against this law and also suggesting ignoring and/or finding ways to break it. :lol: :lol: Seems laws must always apply to others. :lol:

Agree RT

My 5cents in general:

There is constant pleading on the forum for SANParks to do something about this and that
and everything under the sun, and when something is done, lo and behold there is outcry because
it now encroaches into peoples personal spaces/little rituals.

In this day and age it is unfortunate for people who can behave that a one size fits all approach
gets used when adressing intollerant or criminal behaviour, but in my opinion, I would rather have that happen then have nothing done at all.

I will glady give up having a sundowner beer at my favourite waterhole (even if I can and do behave myself), at least I will know that this unruly disgusting culture that seems to be festering in KNP is being delt with

Anyway....

It has always been illegal to drink n public :redface:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:16 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Overnight visitors may bring in alcohol, but it can only be consumed at the specific accomodation that you have booked

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

This ban has been implemented for one reason only, the misbehavior of people who do not know their limits and then cause inconvenience to others.

I am in full support of this action by SANParks.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:59 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

krouxsa wrote:
Hi all.

I'm curious. Whilst sitting at a watering hole like sunset dam, is the rule then applicable to everyone in the car or only the driver. The law states no drinking and driving which, as everyone mentioned has kind of been overlooked in Kruger. If for example, you go for a sundowner at sunset dam and everyone have a drink except the driver, does it still count as trespassing the law?

I am pleased that Sanparks are indeed addressing the issue of behavoir in the park. And totally agree with everyone on this forum. I'd rather know what to do and what not to do than finding myself on the wrong side of the law.

Thanks

I would presume it applies to all, it is drinking in public. the same as at the picnic places etc. The only place you may consume alcohol is at your accomodation or restaurants/designated areas.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:00 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I think security and police will be out in force at the gates to support personnel there!

Logistics will be sorted out this week, as there will have to be some changes in the way we normally operate, but it does seem that SANparks are doing all they can to get the message out beforehand, which will help us.

There will also be people on duty at the picnic areas.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:12 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Jan and I had an ongoing conversation this weekend about how KNP are going to 'police' the no drinking in public places part of this new legislation.

It is easy to have extra security at picnic areas, but will they be there all day to catch breakfast/brunch?
Also what about the draught beer sold at Afsaal, is that to be discontinued, or is it considered a bar area?

What about sundowners by the waterhole, how is this to be managed, or are poeple to police themselves?

At Sunset or Mestel or Nsemani or Girivana or Gudzani for example will they have patrols with security wandering from car to car, or could they check all the vehicles leaving a camp for alcohol?

Ast binman bin mam?
Lancashire dialect

Ready for the next Cricket Weekend!

New Year trip 2014-2015 booked.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:22 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
What will happen to the confiscated booze. Will one get a receipt and will it be stored so that one can collect it on the way out - if one exits at the same gate - or will it be consumed by the gate staff, or sold to suppliment salaries....

Think it should be sold and money goes to fight against poaching. Open a pub/shebeen at gate and sell the booze back to day visitors on their way out with proceeds going to poaching :tongue: :lol:

michel367 wrote:
I am still wondering as to how they (SanParks) are going to pull this off.
Make 2 rows, one for day visitors and one for overnighters. Then day visitor queue you check every one with a landy. :whistle:

Honestly think it will be very similar to gun one now, relying on people's honesty. Us being forum members I like to think we are all honest also believe you will be able to spot the troublemakers from a distance. :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:22 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

RUMURUTI wrote:
Great EJ!!

Would love to see you stop a vehicle Rambo style and do a full body search!!!! :D

Fortunately the searching is over to the Security/Protection Services/SAPS folk!!!!! But stopping a vehicle/OSV trying to enter the gate out of line etc is quite within my capability......and I have had the bruises to prove it!

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:33 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The park and ride is not operational at present, although we will try to offer something at Malelane gate if we can.

Just found a loophole that was used by one person.....and will now be blocked immediately. A day visitor decided that she would 'give' her beer cans to overnight guests with a caravan behind her. She then came into camp here to wait for them. Unfortunately she met me. A quick story about exchanging for coke was tried...... I missed the handover because others in the caravan party kept me talking, but all details have gone to management. The loophole will be slammed shut as fast as possible. :rtm:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next