SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Something Positive
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:32 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Thank you Dawid.. At last someone who has a great attitude .Humans loves to grumble complain point fingers etc but when something really great happens we say nothing. So thank you for this thread. Happy News only please

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:54 pm 

Hi Dawid... and well put!! Someone once said "We spend too much time looking for what's wrong, and we tend to lose sight of what's right"... Just the other day I was in the Park - love the place - when I had an experience that conflicted in my tiny little brain...
We were at Satara (day visitors area - I was staying at Balule) when a mini-bus (okay, call it a taxi) arrived, with about 8 people aboard. Young people, probably all under 25. The boom-box started up, raucous laughter and loud voices.... I was instantly peeved but, becuase I was about to leave, decided not to make an issue... Inwardly I was annoyed, but after a few kilometers on the road I was relaxed again...
Later - on my way up to Balule - I saw the vehicle stopped next to the road ahead. First thoughts? "Oh no, them again". As i got closer I saw that they were viewing a smallish herd of elephant, including some pretty young ones. The driver enthusiastically flagged me down, and his words nearly floored me... "Hi Sir", he said in almost a whisper, "Check out the elephants! Aren't they awesome"?? His companions - both male and female - were 'ooo-ing and aaa-ing', and cell-phone cameras were clicking furiously.
It turned out that the group were students from a Johannesburg university who had decided to 'try the Kruger Park out'... and were loving it!! "First time we've been here" I was told.
We arranged to meet at the high-level bridge over the Olifants River (where we could step out of our vehicles) and ended up having a long chat. These youngsters were hooked! Much talk of 'coming back as soon as possible' and 'what a place'...
Sure, they were a bit noisy inside the camp, but remember - these are youngsters! The fact that they're willing to 'explore' the Kruger and hopefully keep their word about 'returning with their freinds and families' They ARE part of the future of the Kruger and all the other Parks...
Maybe WE should be a bit more tolerant??
I genuinely believe that I met a group of 'conservationists-in-the-making' that day...and that has got to be very positive indeed.... :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:42 pm 

Whow!!! :D :D :D Positive thoughts :clap: :clap:
A 100% for Dawid. I will be at your side by full Dawid. Enough is enough of all the negative things.
Lets look at Kruger with a different eye and enjoy what God had create and put in place for us.

@ Philip/Alet :thumbs_up:

Perhaps in July 2012

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:48 pm 

George,

I had a similar experience in January. An extended family moved into the cottages next to me and kind of disturbed the peace for a while, running between their 2 units calling to each other.

It turns out they were on the Sunset drive with me and SO that evening and my heart sank. They were really excited but it became very clear that they had no idea about any animals in the park. It looked like it was going to be a very long and boring drive.

Well it was long, but it was very far from boring. OK they were a bit loud but they knew they were "newcomers" and they were so keen to learn. The drive was an eye opener. We had to stop for every impala, tree squirrel, everything. They had no binoculars and had only phone cameras but photos were taken for everything. They wanted to know everything and I got to see the "usual stuff" through different eyes. The drive was fairly quiet, only seeing impala, nyala, kudu, zebra, buffalo and elephant in three hours, but they were over the moon with this and I was taught a lesson - to appreciate what was in front of me, even if I have seen it hundreds of times before. It turned into one of the most amazing drives I have ever been on and one I will remember for a long, long time.

So no, I won't be too quick to judge in future.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:35 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I had the privilege to visit Punda Maria for an extended weekend a month ago. Punda is always a favourite place, but given the negative feedback on speeding between Punda gate and Pafuri border post, I was a bit negative about the drive up to Pafuri.

Well, obviously Punda was spectacular as ever and Pafuri did not let us down either! It is absolutely beautiful!

As for the drive up ... I saw exactly two vehicles which was "obviously" driving to the border. A few more which were candidates, but of which I could not be sure. None were speeding, and the road was actually quiet.

As for litter. I saw five pieces of litter on the entire drive, three of which I legally picked up. All the facilities we used, including Babbalala and Pafuri, were clean and well maintained. Some were showing age ... but so is my house! :doh: The only criticism would be that the Punda Maria day visitor facility was overgrown with grass, but I suspect that that is due to a total lack of use by visitors which prefer places such as Babbalala.

We had a great visit! And even spotted a few Forumite birders.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi George and Saraf
We had the privilege of introducing friends (of previous disadvantaged group) to the KNP in July 2010 and it was wonderful to see the park through their eyes. If we all take the trouble to take someone new when we go, we can all contribute to future Kruger fanatics. :D

Fabulous sunrises and sunsets in Kruger are my favorite.

Thanks Dawid2005 for starting a great thread. :thumbs_up: Hope we can keep it up!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:23 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thank you Dawid for a very special thread.

I wake up every day, and I have thought, a heart beat speeding towards Kruger.

I am a great lover of history and I am constantly reminded that Kruger is indeed a miracle.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:26 pm 

Nice thread Dawid, well done! :clap:

I am lucky enough to be in Kruger almost daily, so obviously I will see a load of bad, but then in hind sight the good is taken for granted. It's the same a living at the coast, you see the mess but not the beach or sea.

Unfortunately I have to be there again tomorrow, twice in fact. I will be doing two trips to Mopani and back, maybe I will have a good sighting or two, who knows what paradise will have in store for me. :wink:

This weekend I am off, no trips, but guess what......On Sunday I am taking the family in for a skottel breakfast. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:39 pm 

Great idea Dawid :thumbs_up:

We are all passionate forumites when it comes to Kruger, myself included!

I have being going to the park for 38 odd years and loved every visit, because I know when i set foot in the park , im totally relaxed! :dance:

Where else can you drive around viewing such spectacular scenery and animals?

Where else can you stay in comfortable, charming rondavels or peaceful bushcamps?

If i could, i would live in Kruger :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:05 am 

Dawid :clap: :clap: :clap:
Great thread, Nice comments :thumbs_up:
Expect the unexpected! You never know what you're going to get around every corner! Cliche, I know but true! :cam:

It's common knowledge that not so many positive threads on this forum gets more than 30 replys (TR's not included :mrgreen: ) Come on guys, let's go for a century! Let 's see how quickly we can get to 100 replys :dance: :dance: :dance:
Who's up for the challenge? (Well I know nowadays it will feel like a challenge, but dig deep...........)
:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:49 pm 

Ahhhhh :clap: This is a stunning thread - I must so agree, for me just the word KRUGER is a positive.

When I have thoughts of Kruger that for moe just brings feelings of joy and relaxation.

We live in a world were bad service, crumbling of buidlings and so on has become such a norm for some of us its just not worth complaining about anymore. But for me the days leading up to any Kruger trip make me feel like my nine year old daughter :redface: butterflies in my tummy, constant buzz about bush stories and documentaries - route and trip planning its just so exciting and makes a person feel like a youth again :lol:

And then come the actual trip the early morning sounds, smells and crisp clean air, the buzz and friendliness at the communcal gatherings - the meeting and greeting of absolute strangers and most of all the feeling that we are all the same and one with nature - all worries of the world dissapear for a few days bringing with it relaxation and comfort. And I must agree it brings family together - the time that we too busy to spend with our kids back in the hussle and bussle of the city we get to do with our children.

Thanks for a great thread. :clap:

Berg n Dal 12 August 2012
Cant Wait !!!!
MARAKELE
Tlopi Tented Camp 27/28 September 2012

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:44 pm 

Thanks for all the replies and kind words.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:50 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Thank you for this thread :D

I LOVE the Kruger!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Lets not be overly negative. There is so much that is good lets be grateful :thumbs_up:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:29 pm 

There are just too many positives to mention here. But that is exactly why we all keep going to the Park.

Everytime we approach one of the gates on our trips, my SO and I look at each other and say thanks we made it "home" again.

I am especailly thankful that I can share Kruger with my family and friens. It is a great privilage to be able to take young children to the Park and see their faces light up with every impala sighting. I know I am grateful to my folks for taking me there as a youngster.

Post subject: Re: Plea to preserve Kruger's character
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:16 am 

A beautiful poem I copied down many years ago and is a bit of a mantra for me, I had no idea who it was originally written by but I do feel they must have had the very same feelings many of us on this forum do.

AFRICA

When you have acquired the taste for dust
you're hooked on Africa for life
And you will not be right again
until you can watch the setting moon
and hear the jackals bark
and know they are around you
waiting in the dark

When you long to see the elephants or to hear the Coucal's call
when the moonrise song sets your blood on fire
you have been away too long
It is time to cut the traces loose
and let your heart go free
beyond that of the horizon
where your spirit yearns to be

Thank you Ifubesi for reminding us of this paradise, long may it live!