Skip to Content

Wildlife in Camps

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
gjorgi

Re: Your success with a torch in the camps at night?

Unread postby gjorgi » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:10 am

Hi everyone!! I am quite surprised that no one has mentioned this siting at Satara as I know some other forumites also saw it. Late May 2012 (can't remember exact date)....maybe after 21:00 somewhere (you guessed it, can't remember exact timeas well!!) I was still chatting away with friend next to the camp fire in the Satara campsite when all hell broke loos next to the fence close to the western corner of the camp. An old emaciated lioness had caught a wildebeest calf against the fences and had it's hind quarters in her claws and jaws while two or three hyenas had the calf by the head. At the same time one or two hyenas kept biting the lioness on the flanks. She was a sorry sight and in the end lost her meal. At one stage it even looked as if the hyenas were considering her for dessert. All this happend about 2m from the fence with onlookers taking photos, shining spotlights etc etc. It's times like these when you realise just how wild it is out there and that a meek little begging hyena transforms into a ferocious killer at a drop of a hat and that the weak will never last long. Oh, and Mattib, I think the old lioness definately used the fence to catch that calf.

PantoffelSlippers

Unread postby PantoffelSlippers » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:28 pm

Great thread

Not much luck myself so far at night in the camps but I do have a few:

Regular hyaena at satara
Honey badger at satara
Leopard from inside berg-en-dal
Genet at berg- en-dal (with pics!!)
Civet at lower sabie

timbo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby timbo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:15 pm

For the first time I saw Hyena from the camp by torch
I try my best and that's what matters I hope.

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bert » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:31 pm

hyaena at different camp fences
hippo & buff at Lower Sabie
honey badgers satara
African Wild cat satara
Genet punda maria and berg en dal
And a scops at satara/lower sabie.

rufie

Unread postby rufie » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:03 pm

Hallo There!!

I was at the Kruger in December and I stayed Shingwedzi from the 16th until the 21st of Dec and saw one Bushbuck in camp and at Satara on the 22nd of December, I saw an African Wild Cat walking between the B Block Bungalow's and about 10minutes after that I saw an Honeybadger.

Sheenaugh-Lee
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Sheenaugh-Lee » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:49 pm

I have had plenty of success next to camp fences impala, varkies, bush babies, bats, scorpion, hyenas, rhino's, bush buck, crocodile, giraffes
but I've got to say my most memorable was last Christmas we were in Berg n dal and just got back in before the gates closed me being me I had to walk along the fence to get any last glimpses of animals before the sun descended
so off i went i was alone on the trail and near the water i saw a massive croc lying on the sand dune while staring at the croc i heard a bunch of guinea fowl and the next minute i saw an ear twitching in the bush.
i couldn't believe my luck but their standing in all his pristine glory was a gorgeous leopard.
I was so excited and at the same time nervous that i only had a fence between us but OMW it was amazing anyhow so here im standing alone adrenaline pumping and Im dying to tell somebody what is standing right next to me and nobody came till about 15 min later when I saw an old lady coming along and told her lol well needless to say by the time she had phoned her sons the whole tented area of Berg n dal was their to see the leopard my camara isn't of the greatest and because of lighting i couldn't get a pic.
how disappointing anyways after deciding to leave the crowds to my sighting I walked back to the shops and on arriving their they were having a movie that night all about leopards for the folks, me being me i laughed and told them if they wanted to see a real leopard they should follow the trail theirs one next to the fence in 1 second flat every person their ran to the sighting leaving the poor ranger showing the movie standing alone with no one left to show his movie to hahaha it was classic! :D
Im still In LOVE with my Kruger!

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

chukhamila

Unread postby chukhamila » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:15 pm

Leopard walking in the Timbavati river bed at Tamboti, with the baboons going mad in there usual tree.
Kruger Park

Skukuza 13-15Feb2013
Tamboti 15-17Feb2013

Kruger is where the heart is...

Gilbertr14

Re: Animals in camps

Unread postby Gilbertr14 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:13 pm

In 80's there was a resident Leopard in the staff camp in Skukuza.
He could be heard at night on the roofs.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Thu May 02, 2013 4:28 pm

Some of the more 'modern' camps have been built with as little a 'footprint' as possible, and bush within the camp has been untouched, like Mopani and Tamboti.

It is posible, and even probable that there are animals, especially nocturnal ones, hiding up in this bush. I have seen pics on the forum of a serval in Mopani visiting a braai.

I suppose it is dangerous to humans, but they seem to go for their natural prey first. There was a leopard shot in Letaba a few years ago. It had walked down the 'main' road past people and was stalking a bushbuck.

Also a few years ago, at Timbavati picnic site, friends we took there the previous day returned to see leopard run across the crowded site to take out a bushbuck in front of their eyes.

But there have been people taken as well.

I suppose nobody checks the gate(s) 24/7 and maybe there are small holes in the fence.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby lion queen » Thu May 02, 2013 4:31 pm

ww29 wrote:Hi all

Yesterday some on Kruger latest sightings posted a photo of a hyena in front of their braai in the Satara guesthouse. I have just seen now a photo of a leopard by one of the huts in Mopani camp. The photo was taken around 11am this morning and posted on Latest Kruger sightings Facebook page.

Are animals in the camps becoming a more 'regular' occurrence? I imagine that a leopard ins potentially quite dangerous if confronted? Not sure if the camp manager of Mopani was told of the incident - will see if I can find out more info.

Thanks
WW29

It was reported to camp management.......... :thumbs_up:
SANParks Online Fans..........Where passion is pride!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Micetta
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Micetta » Thu May 02, 2013 4:51 pm

Sorry guys, but we are supposed to be in the BUSH, the home of the animals. We are the ones who are the intruders :twisted: they do not really want to eat us, just watch out and give way to the animals!!! Stay out of their way or stay out of the parks. No place can be 100% safe.....not even the centre of Joburg :whistle:

forestgump
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby forestgump » Thu May 02, 2013 5:12 pm

I know it is not Sanparks, so I will not mention the name of this place, but look at these cats in camp !!!

I stayed in this specific unit last week ,

my point is that even in an open camp with no fence, I am safer than in a city.
The cats would have eaten far more people if they were hunting us.
As long as we do not leave food around , that will keep them coming back every night.

After dark do not let your kids run around, put them to bed.
Expect the unexpected.
No to speeding in Sanparks.

DrPhil

Leopard in Mopani

Unread postby DrPhil » Thu May 02, 2013 6:24 pm

Hi does anyone know anything about the leopard that was seen around noon today in Mopani camp?

Saw a picture of a huge male leopard standing next to a black bin next to a hut. His shoulders are high above the top of the bin.

The picture was posted on my Iphone latest kruger sightings app.
Not in Kruger.... Busy planning the next trip...

ossendryver
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ossendryver » Thu May 02, 2013 8:07 pm

Here is the link to the photo as per requested:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 307&type=1

And here is the following update:
Leopard was safely removed from the camp this afternoon and is now back in the bush

MarkusF
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby MarkusF » Thu May 02, 2013 8:40 pm

Thanks for the link, ossendryver. Much appreciated!

Wow, just show one should never let your guard down even within the relative safety of a camp. It is human to relax a bit more and not be on high alert on the lookout. But with such a sighting it let one think twice.

Glad no one was hurt and that the leopard was removed safely from the camp as well.

Return to “Kruger National Park”