Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: first time and travelling solo
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:25 pm 

Hi there

Needing some advice from experienced KNP travelers.

I was supposed to travel with 2 other people to Lower Sabie Park for 2 nights. We were going to be staying in a 3bed hut. Unfortunately my companions were denied their visas as they didn't have 3 blank pages in their passports. So now I'm on my own. We had booked a private camp for 2 nights prior to KNP in the Klaserie Private Nature Reserve. Because it's private and everything is pretty much taken care of I'm not too worried about that but I would still like to do one of the public camps for the different experience.

I researched as much as I can. I can't self cater or self drive so by looking at the other forum topics, most people have said to go to Lower Sabie, Satara or Skukuza, is this correct?
I'm not the best at roughing it and it's the first time I'm travelling by myself. I looked at availability and there are only huts available at Lower Sabie for the 16-18 March. There are however bungalows at Satara and Skukuza. Am happy to spend extra money if it means being a little more comfortable and having a nicer view on the river with animals etc, but am also willing to suck it up if Lower Sabie is the better location in terms of wildlife. Any suggestions would be much appreciated :)

My understanding is that these camps all have drives and walks I can go on, as well as restaurants I can eat at, so I'm assuming this will take care of my activity and dietary needs. please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, did anyone have advice on travelling between the Klaserie Nature reserve and KNP rest camps?

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated :)

Post subject: Re: first time and travelling solo
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:44 pm 

Warm welcome to the forum rowena16! :clap:

Such a pity your companions were not able to accompany you on this trip!

KNP is largely a self drive destination and even if you were able to get to your first camp where there are drives and walks available, they are only for a couple of hours per day which means you would be stuck in the camp and also not have any means of getting to further camps or out the park at the end of your stay.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:17 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Hello and welcome.

Elsa is correct and you might have problems. But....if you change to Skukuza you may well find that the lodge you stay at in Klaserie could give you some advice re a transfer to Skukuza. It is a big camp and you can wander around and spend time at the pool and in the museum etc too, but still find somewhere to sit quietly if you want.

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Visit OLA

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:30 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A very warm welcome rowena16. :gflower:

I would consider Ecojunkie's advice and book at Skukuza.

They do offer drives from the camps, or if you feel up to it, walks. A walk and an evening drive, or a morning and a night drive would keep you pretty busy. Skukuza also has a variety of places where you can have a meal. It is also a good camp to be in, if on your own for the first time.

I love the gardens at Skukuza and the birds and smaller animals are a treat. There is a good chance of lovely game sightings from the camp, as it has excellent views of the river. At night, bushbabies come out and there is a group of banded mongoose that seem to have made their home in the camp.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:53 pm 

A very warm welcome rowena16.

I would consider Ecojunkie's and MM advice and book at Skukuza.

You could also consider renting a vehicle from AVIS Car Rental at Skukuza for the self drive option, this is not available at Lower Sabie or Satara. With the self drive option you can explore the park on your own time, spend time at special sightings.

Enjoy your stay and many more returns to paradise.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Rowena16,

I agree with MM & EJ, Skukuza is probably your best option. Not sure how you are getting to the area, but there are flights to and from Skukuza airport. I think there is a shuttle to the camp (check Skukuza airport thread).

Enjoy

KNP June 2015
Mopani, Balule, Tamboti, Satara, Skukuza, Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:24 pm 

Thankyou all so much!!

No idea how much your advice has decreased my stress levels :)

I've taken your advice and posted on a forum for Skukuza to try and suss out that option. Have also emailed the private camp I'm staying at to see if they can help with transferring me to Skukuza if I end up going there.

By what I've read the bungalows are nice to stay in at Skukuza?

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:27 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The bungalows are very nice at Skukuza There are river view ones and they sometimes have TV and all have aircon .and basic crockery and cutlery and a kettle We have just stayed in number 102 which though not with a river view was in a cul de sac surrounded by shady trees full of birdlife ( counted at least 4 purple crested turacos in the one..) Where are you travelling from and such a pity your friends could not come to

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:16 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Rowena, I have a very soft spot for Skukuza and have spent many a night there. If you can get a bungalow close to the river it would be great, but it is not essential. Some of the bungalows are very basic, but as you will not be self catering, it will not be an issue.

Just be careful with the monkeys. They are thieves of note and any food item is fair game.

It does seem that your biggest logistical problem right now is getting to the camp. Let's see what the private reserve comes up with. I am sure this is a fairly common dilemma.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:31 pm 

Can't thank you all enough for all the info, its such a big help :)

I've contacted the private camp re: transfers. I'm flying from Saudi to Jo Berg, staying the night there, then flying to Hoedspruit where the camp will pick me up. I've asked them if they can transfer me to Skukuza and am awaiting their reply. I've also asked Tourde Mornay, a private transfer company, if the could transport me. They seem to do transfers throughout the park, and could even transfer me to the Mozambique border which is my next port of call.

I'm currently looking at availability for Skukuza bungalows and there seems to be plenty :)

All coming along quite nicely :)

Thank you all again so much for your help!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:clap:
Amazing how helpful all you wonderful people are.. all sorted.. just like that :thumbs_up:

I am sure you will have a great trip Rowena.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:08 pm 

Everyone has given great advice, and I do hope you sort out the last few travel issues.

And then you must just enjoy every minute of your trip. And tell us all about it so we can share in your excitement!

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:31 pm 

Sounds like your plans are all coming together. I wanted to chime in and let you know that traveling Kruger solo is a wonderful experience. I (a female from the US) have traveled Kruger many, many times solo from bottom to top and back again; most of my trips lasting as long as three weeks. I think your only issue is you aren't staying long enough!!

Here is a thought - there is a rental car agency in Skukuza. Why don't you rent a car for the time you are there so you can go out and experience the park on a self-drive? From Skukuza there are some wonderful drives.

If you choose not to though there are sunrise drives, sunset drives and more you can participate in at Skukuza. Do try and book a unit on the perimeter or with a view. That way you can chill right at your African "home" and enjoy what the possibilities of what might happen right there at your sight.

Enjoy and should you have more questions, the answers are awaiting you in this forum!
Dana