Skip to Content

Christmas in the Kruger

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park

Christmas in the Kruger

Unread postby Busymum40 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:26 am

Hi folks!

Our family (myself, husband, 2 kids + my husband's Mom and Dad) have a trip to the Kruger coming up in December/ January - we have managed to book 4 weeks in the Park, starting at Biyamiti and finishing up at Punda Maria (all things being equal with the rains, of course!). We are desperately excited about spending Christmas and New Year in the Park, as it's the first time we've done so (not our first trip, though - we've racked up almost 100 nights there over the last few years! Some people go to Disneyland...we go to the Kruger! :P )

What I'm wondering is whether there are any ideas from folks who have spent Christmas there before about what to bring, particularly for kids? I've sorted presents and have managed to Ninja some Santa stuff, but we are coming from Perth, Western Australia, so luggage limits are a bit of a thing. We do fly Singapore Airlines, who are quite generous with their baggage allowances, but we are moving between a few camps over the 4 weeks (Biyamiti to Lower Sabie to Satara to Letaba to Shingwedzi to Sirheni to Punda), so don't want to be carting a lot of stuff around.

Do the rest camps do anything special over Christmas/ New Year? We've booked a bush braai out of Satara, but any ideas gratefully received!

Many thanks

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Christmas in the Kruger

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:31 am

A very warm welcome to you Busymom40 :gflower: . What a wonderful trip you have planned.

I have been in Kruger a number of times over New Year. I have been there in early December, but never over Christmas. I have however seen the 'remainders of the day'. :wink: There does seem to be a special Christmas lunch in most of the larger camps.

Many of the larger camps try to have activities for the children throughout the holiday period. Keep watching the forum and you might pick up on what is happening over that period. Lower Sabie and Skukuza seemed to have daily children related activities. Mopani camp had special talks and bush exhibitions done by the Honorary Rangers.

I have seen special night drives advertised for New Year's Eve. I have tended to be in smaller camps where New Year was rather silent. The staff often have a party that evening, so you might hear singing from the staff village.

As far as keeping the children happy :hmz: I am not sure how old your children are. When my children were young, 'walkmans' were the thing. We made use of the Kruger shops and bought CD's or tapes of bush stories and music. It kept them quiet on long drives. These can be very boring for young children. We also bought books that they could stick pictures in. They were allowed to buy post cards of animals that they saw on the drives. If your children are old enough, a book on mammals makes it more fun to find out more about the sightings.

If they are old enough, a torch, binoculars and a camera might give hours of fun.

The swimming pools are life savers and wonderful to burn off some energy. I found an evening swim made for a better night's sleep.

Good luck and happy planning. :thumbs_up:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Grantmissy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:56 am

Welcome to the forum Busymom40 :D Wishing you and your family a most wonderful Christmas in the Kruger National Park. May you have many good sightings :cam: . Meanderring Mouse gave some good advice for your Kruger Christmas :thumbs_up:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Unread postby BushBaby_Shing » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:03 am

Wow, 4 weeks in the Kruger Park is amazing.

I have spent Christmas and New Years in the Kruger Park mainly at Shingwedzi camp with my wife and 2 young boys. for Christmas Day I normally spent the day cooking a nice supper but for New Years Eve we normally have dinner at the restaurant which was normally a traditional African braai outside with the sounds of the wild. A truly awesome experience.

Depending on the age of your kids, a camera would be helpful to keep them busy, we also used to take portable DVD players so that the kids can buy wildlife DVD's and watch them when they get bored. The swimming pool is also always a winner amongst the kids and adults alike.

We will be in Skukuza in the beginning of January and I must say it is the best place in the world.

Have a great trip and I hope you get to see plenty of animals.
Skukuza with my children for a boys weekend - 6th January to the 10th January 2016 :dance: :dance: :thumbs_up:

Unread postby DinkyBird » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:47 pm

Unread postby Elsa » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:14 pm

Warm welcome to the forum Megan! :clap:

Another good topic to have a read through Things to do and see in camps in Kruger
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Unread postby Travelstory » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:45 pm

Your trip sounds fantastic.

I would add inflatable pool toys as they would take up little room in your luggage and keep the kiddies happy on the hot days. I would also agree with a portable DVD player bringing along your favorite Christmas movies to add to the spirit. Another kiddie item might be a magnifying glass and bug book to keep them busy identifying bugs.

I have been in the park many Christmas holidays and the staff does try to make it special; especially for the kids.

Enjoy - I know it will be a Christmas your family will remember for years to come.

AKA Dana

Return to “Kruger National Park”