Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: How HOT does it really get
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:44 pm 
TheunsH wrote:
Someone told me the temp was more than 50 degrees in Skukuza about 3 or 4 weeks ago, can anyone confirm this?

I think it was 44!

Temperature is not the only problem, as humidity and wind play a factor too!

ie, it is murderous when the hot wind blows...the only time I've actually left the Park for such a reason! :redface:

Also, high humidity can sap one's strength, so to speak!

A good test is leaving one's aircon bungalow and having one's glasses fog up...then it is humid! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:02 pm 

42.5 on sunday :shock:

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:13 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The official SAWeather temperature measurements are recorded by accurate and colaborated automated stations which are sighted in similar conditions , i.e. the instuments used are identical , situated in a housing sheltered from the wind and sun etc , thus temperatures reported by the public may differ somewhat from the official figures .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject: air conditioning
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:17 pm 

We will be visiting the Park for 21days in January 2012 but spending 5 days in Hazyview do you think at this time of year I will need to pick accommodation with air conditioning or will large fans in all rooms be sufficient.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: air conditioning
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:30 pm 

The weather is usually pretty hot and humid at that time of year Mike, high 30's and into the 40'sC but basically it comes down to your personal tolerance of heat, coming from the UK I would say you will be so much more comfortable with air conditioning. :wink:

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:15 pm 

Mike, we found the fans to be more effective than the air cons at times during our trip at the beginning of this month. I would try and ensure you have both most of the time when it is such a hot period.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:40 pm 

hi,
I would also go for both !
if not possiable - then i suggest the air con as a must...

enjoy

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:18 pm 

Mike if air-con is available - Take it!!

I was in the Park this Jan/Feb and was so grateful for the air conditioning - A must have!!

No to Hotels in Kruger

Every time I get the news that another Rhino has died, a piece of me dies too - Edna the Brave

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:44 pm 

Thanks everyone for you help air conditioning it is

Post subject: Kruger in Summer
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:39 am 

Hi All, what is Kruger like in Summer (December / January)? I know the malaria risk should be higher, but what are the average temperatures? And what time does it get dark at night (I guess not the same daylight as in Cape Town...). From the availability stats it seems that it's still VERY popular during this time.

Post subject: Re: Kruger in Summer
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:57 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Bekke

January is one of my favourite times of the year in Kruger.
It can get unbearably hot and humid but if you are a person who doesn't mind that kind of weather then you shouldn't have any problem.

It is also rainy season which can also help cool the temps a bit.

Temperatures I have experienced in January have been anything between mid 20's and mid to upper 40's.
One time specifically comes to mind was one afternoon driving back to Skukuza at 18H00 in the evening the car was still registering 39c outside temp.

It gets dark at about 19H00, not as late as CT, but then the sun rises at 04H45 - 05H00

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:23 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

When we're in the Kruger during November/December/January, we don't do all-day drives.
Go for morning drive up to about 11:00, and then only out again at about 14:30 / 15:00.
The intervening hours are spent in the bungalow catching up on sleep (since summer days in the Kruger starts around 3:45 to be out the gates by 4:30, and only ends very late - after the braai :lol: ) with air conditioner going full-blast (would not survive those temperatures without this luxury!).
One day near Satara, it was nearing 40 degrees by 10 in the morning - we reluctantly turned back to camp earlier than usual, since we were burning up in the car (don't do closed windows and aircon in the car while in KNP).
We were only halfway down the planned route, and then, on the "short-cut" we took (Orpen to Satara tar road) had the best cheetah sighting in the KNP ever :D - only a couple of meters from the road!
In any case, KNP in the summer is more do-able than I thought possible before trying it myself - but I, personally (who hate heat) wouldn't try camping - only bungalow with aircon to refresh over the extended lunch hour.
Or one can try swimming I suppose - but I burn easily - my skin is not up to noon time sun in the swimming pool...I guess it is up to how tolerant you are to heat and sun.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:43 am 

Hi Bekke

I agree with Dabchick that it is impossible to do full day drives during high summer.

In saying so we go to Kruger every year during December and January and this is our favourite time of year to go. I will be there from 23 Dec for 17 nights doing top to bottom this year. We normally leave camp at 04h30 until about 10h30 and then again from 16h00 until gate closing time.

Although it get incredibly hot during December, it is by far the most beautiful time of the year. There are many measures one can take to stay cool. We spend the biggest part of the day in camp resting, swimming, reading, bird watching, etc. Always make sure you travel with ice water too. Use repellant from about 17h00 for the mozzies and use yellow light bulbs to keep the most bugs at bay.

And most importantly..................enjoy!

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:12 am 

We visit the park in Feb every year and must admit altho we have had a couple of very hot days we have also experienced quite cool overcast days where the temp does not get much higher than the mid to high 20's which is always quite surprising.
We love the lushness, and of course the birding is always excellent at this time with all the migrants present and in full breeding plumage.
Obviously animals sightings can be a little tricky due to the thickness of the bush but we have still had some awesome sightings.

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

One of the coldest trips to the Park I can remember was in January - torrential rain, bitterly cold and staying at Talamati with no lounge so we put blankets around us to sit on the verandah - our teeth chattered that night I can tell you. In comparison in October we have experienced some of the hottest day and on one occasion it was 42 degrees in the shade!

8 & 9 Jan 2014 at Elephant Walk
10 to 17 January 2014 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next