Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Infants in the park
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:29 am 

Saffa

Our daughter will be 2years old this December. We took her for the first time to kruger when she was 4months old - unfortunately there is no medication you can give her at that age. We took a mosquito net for the pram/cot, you get Mr Mozzie spray/cream (babycity) for babies, and i put a little bit of citronella oil in her bath. And we took her inside as soon as the sun was setting. That was April 2009. We stayed in a bungalow.

October 2009 we went camping in Satara, she was then 10 months old. Again no meds could be given. We basically did the same as April, took all the necessary precautions. The weather was quite kind to us, not too hot, but we did drive in the aircon car in the heat of the day, to make sure she gets a good midday rest - cannot stay in camp - caravan too hot. We also spent quite some time at the swimming pool with her. She really enjoyed that (she started crawling in Satara).

Then again in April this year, (16 months old) we went camping in Lower Sabie, fornutately this time she could take medication (she had to be more than 12 kg). But i did for extra precaution, still use mosquito spray. It was quite hot this time, 43 degrees, that was quite a challenge with her. She was sweaty and very irritated, and we couldnt really do anyting about it, we tried to be in the car in the heat of the day.

I think the decision lies with each and every parent, you should decide if you are going to take the risk. We did, and we are grateful that nothing happened. As for your wife being pregnant, that i would say is also a very big risk.

If you do decide to go to the Park - enjoy - and remember to take good care of your little one and your wife.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:21 am 

Hi saffa

Personally, I think it’s too much off a mission in December, just too hot, then also to mission with a 10month old baby...anyway that’s us. Pregnant wife - risk

Took both my children to park at various occasions at 3 months, 6 months etc etc, however we only go in the winter months , always in bungalows etc, never used any malaria medicine, although lots of repellent, etc.

Like someone said, it’s a personal choice for each parent, enjoy it anyway !

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:38 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Also to be remembered is that the risk of getting malaria in Kruger is not more than getting malaria in Nelspruit, both fall in the high risk malaria area. Actually your chance of getting malaria in Nelspruit should in theory be more because there are more people around who might carry the parasite so greater chance of a mosquito becoming infected.

If you are willing to take your child to Nelspruit for a holiday, you can also take him/her to Kruger.

My first fist to Kruger was as 5 months of age (long ago) and my eldest went on 10 months old.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:05 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Glad to hear grandma will have some bonding time. Trust me, a break from the little one usually does a couple more good than they felt possible!

Just as a matter of interest: people living in a malaria area build a natural immunity to some extend. It has now been strongly suggested that the immunity transfer from mother to baby. Still malaria under infant is a major cause for deaths of children under 2 years.

About treatment for children. Treatment is not as simple as for adults, due to more than one reason:
1) the spleen is usually enlarged and could cause the child problems for the rest of his/her life
2) Children, especially those under 2, deteriorate very rapidly. A couple of cases has been noted where they have died withing 120 minutes of showing the first signs.

The abovementioned is not put on the table to dispute with those that believe in chance or think that something as simple as citronella spray is the answer. It is purely put on the table to scetch the worst case scenario. In the end this is the choice of the parent if they want to expose the child to the risk or not.

Have a look at the 11 guidelines as put down by the WHO international travel plan and decide for yourselves.

Interesting facts from the WHO:

1) 800 000 children in Africa die annually from malaria.
2) The fatality rate of children that did contract the disease is between 8-18%. So if 10 children got the disease, on average 1 or 2 will die.

Last edited by christo on Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Are we being stupid ?
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:51 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Hi Gavin

Children as young as that should never go to a malaria area in a risk period!! It is as simple as that, in my opinion.
At 5 months of age, the little one's immune system is not yet fully developed, so if they are unlucky enough to contract malaria, the progression of the disease is very rapid, and they can die within a day or two! Furthermore, it is not always easy to suspect malaria in such a young child - remember they cannot tell you they are ill, and they often pick up fevers at that stage of development, what with colds and flus and, of course, teething!
Moreover, remember that your baby is too young to take conventional antimalarial medications, so that adds more risk.

Personally, if I had a 5-month old, I would make alternative arrangements and not put the child at risk. Your suggestion, however, of day trips - thereby overnighting in a non-malarial area - is about your only proper option (if you cannot find someone to babysit, or don't trust anyone enough to do that), and is feasible. However, remember that you would have to drive quite a way to get to Kruger from the non-malarial areas (consult a malarial-risk areas map in SA), and then make sure you leave the malarial areas before dusk and enter them after the sun has risen. In that case, there is always the tiny chance that an infected mossie remains in your car, but this is often a very small risk.

Depending on when you are going to Kruger, I would also be concerned about the heat: a child's temperature can spike quickly around 5-months of age and the additional ambient heat could complicate matters. Also, the child may cry the entire time he/she is uncomfortable. Then there is the risk of sunburn.

There are other factors that can be taken into account, but, as I said at the beginning, unless you can guarantee being in the malarial area during the day only, and avoiding other complicating factors, it is best not to take your child with.

Disclaimer: My recommendations here - though based on some experience and some drug, and other, knowledge - are not absolute, and further consultation with suitable health-care professionals is suggested before a final decision is taken on whether to enter a malarial area, what prophylaxis to use, and any general factors and limitations that need to be taken into account. Furthermore, I only advise based on what information is given by the person(s) entering the malarial area, but I have no control on the information given to me, and so such information could possibly be incomplete or misleading. Moreover, people vary subjectively as to how they metabolise, and react to, drugs and other substances, which further accentuates that my suggestions here are only general suggestions, and therefore not to be taken as pertaining to every person alike.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

gavinp - why not use this as an opportunity to visit another National Park that is NOT in a malaria area?

I see you live in Johannesburg, so you can easily get to Marakele, Mokala or Golden Gate.

I would especially recommend Mokala - the accommodation is fantastic, the staff exceptional and there is a good restaurant if you do not feel like doing your own thing for every meal. The animals are interesting and there are quite a few birds you will not see in KNP or Johannesburg, as Mokala lies in the West of the country.

It is a bit further to drive than KNP, but the trip is well-worth it.

Save KNP for when the little one is a bit older.

Mopani 18-20 Oct 2014
Shingwedzi 20-22 Oct 2014
Punda Maria 22-25 Oct 2014

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:05 am 

In ALL cases it is recommended to go on your DOCTOR'S advice......

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:47 am 

kite wrote:
Could the moderators request forum members not to give medical advice based on their personal experiences if they are not qualified to do so.

I think it is more important that members realise this is the internet and should keep in mind that all over the net wrong info and advice is posted. The ultimate responsibility of what action they take lies with the reader.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:12 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Please note what we wrote:

What you should always do
This is just a little guide, most people can just take simple precautions, but not every body is the same, so visit your doctor and ask his/her advice! Especially pregnant woman should do so, your baby is at risk!
Also keep in mind that children under 5 kilos can not take antimalarials, so the only protection they have is mosquito repellant soaps and spray... And if they are somewhat heavier the side effects listed at the end of this post are not really pleasant...

That you can find here, along with more information.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:27 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I think everybody should awnser fore themself on this one.My son is now 7 mounths old was in kruger three times.Yes there is a risk factor but that is were every parent must decide is it worth it or not.Is the risk low ore high and do you feel save to take your kid there if the awnser is yes go.If no then dont.It is that simple

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:28 am 
Hi everybody

Just had a wonderful time in Kruger - the best 4-days trip I've ever had!! TR to follow ...
:D :D :D :dance: :dance: :dance: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :cam: :cam: :cam:

And, guess what, I'm taking malaria prophylaxis!! And so is my daughter and my SO!

Let me tell you that I have just read through all the posts on this thread and I've both shook my head and smiled. Shook my head because I realise that some of the things are ignorance and that the state of malarial understanding in South Africa seems to need some serious educational boost. Smiled because I realised that, until I had had the good fortune to study malaria and come across, first hand, people who contracted the disease, I myself had had a similar cavalier attitude!! :redface: :redface: I had thought I knew it all, yet I was wrong.

One of the forum mites has a signature that states essentially that, if you are blessed with something, it is your responsibility to share it with others. Some may argue vehemently against what I say here, but I will say what I need to anyway! For, if anything I say about malaria helps anyone, or even saves a life, I will feel that I have done my duty.

Of course, it doesn't mean that absolutely everything I say is cast in stone - there is nobody on earth that knows it all - but I have had enough experience and professional knowledge (been involved in a malarial hotline for over two years and written articles) for me to suggest that people at least consider some of the things I impart. If you don't want to, nobody's forcing you. I feel that my understanding of malaria has helped me and my family over the years, and I trust it will help yours too. :pray: :pray:

For the following comments - and from a medicolegal standpoint - you understand that my disclaimer is important, so that some tannie or oom somewhere who misunderstood what I wrote doesn't sue the pants off me :wink:

Disclaimer: My recommendations here - though based on some experience and some drug, and other, knowledge - are not absolute, and further consultation with suitable health-care professionals is suggested before a final decision is taken on whether to enter a malarial area, what prophylaxis to use, and any general factors and limitations that need to be taken into account. Furthermore, I only advise based on what information is given by the person(s) entering the malarial area, but I have no control on the information given to me, and so such information could possibly be incomplete or misleading. Moreover, people vary subjectively as to how they metabolise, and react to, drugs and other substances, which further accentuates that my suggestions here are only general suggestions, and therefore not to be taken as pertaining to every person alike.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:44 am 
BushFairy wrote:
My dad works in Zim and Mozam and then visits KNP often, these are obviously all Malaria areas. He doesn't take malaria prophylaxis, but carry's the treatment with him as he spends weeks out in the bush without healthcare facilities nearby. - it would be silly, and unhealthy to take pills everyday. However, when my mom, sister or I go and visit him, or spend holidays in Moz or KNP we always take prophylaxis. My dad has contracted Malaria 4 times in the past 15 years, and when he gets it he feels (and looks) like death!

It's quite simple really, you can compare malaria to car accidents if you want to, but then you should look at it like this:
When you get into your car do you a) put on your seatbelt; b) strap your child in a car seat to keep him/her safe; c) make sure that the tyre pressure is correct to prevent a possible blowout; d) make sure that your car has airbags; e) not speed; f) not overtake on a blindrise? - THEN YOU ARE TAKING PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES TO ENSURE THAT THAT ONE IN A MILLION ACCIDENT DOES NOT HAPPEN.

If you can do the same with Malaria, especially if you have not been to a Malaria area before, then why not just do it?? Taking pills may be uncomfortable (like wearing a seatbelt), but it could save your life? A child whose immune system is not fully developed is most at risk to getting Malaria, why not go to a Malaria free area (it's like not strapping your child into a carseat and leaving him/her to drift around on the backseat when you could strap him/her in, stop worrying and still have awesome sightings)

Just my 2c worth, but obviously everyone opinions will differ - until you've had Malaria that is! :wink:

Beautifully stated BF!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Great analogy too between car accidents and malaria!

Several parts of Zimbabwe and all of Mozambique are HIGH-RISK for malaria all year round. Some parts of Zimbabwe and some parts of South Africa are seasonal risk. Some parts of Zimbabwe and most of South Africa are considered not to be malarial risk areas (although there may be rare cases of contracted malaria in these regions).

Many people never contract a single bout of malaria in their lives - despite having been to malarial risk areas for donkey's years - but that doesn't mean that no one will ever contract the disease!! Some are lucky, some are not. It's that simple.

I agree entirely, BF, that it is prudent and responsible to take whatever precautionary malarial measures are necessary based on the risk of contracting malaria in a specific area and season. Bully for you, your mom, and your sister for taking antimalarial prophylaxis! :clap:

Prevention (if suitable or appropriate) is always better than cure ... ALWAYS!

Quote:
He [BF's dad] doesn't take malaria prophylaxis, but carry's the treatment with him as he spends weeks out in the bush without healthcare facilities nearby. - it would be silly, and unhealthy to take pills everyday.

Note that, for many people, the hassle and/or expense of taking malarial prophylaxis for extended periods causes them to decide not to! Your dad has already had malaria 4 times, but seems savvy enough to weigh up the risks of contracting it versus the side-effects, expense, and other factors of taking the prophylaxis.

Despite this, there are indeed people who choose to take long-tern malaria prophylaxis, and who do very well on that! It is really a personal decision and a weighing up of benefits versus non-benefits of doing so. Soem of the drugs do well over many months of prophylactic usage.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:55 am 
ndloti wrote:
I am normally the first when in a group in the KNP to be bitten by mosquitoes , I have not taken prophlaxis in the last 20 years (must have been more than 400 nights) - besides at one place in the central district along a dry river course where there is a stagnant water pool from the borehole overflow - where we were advised to take prophylactics as a researcher who was there shortly prior to us had died a few weeks later after returning overseas - though perhaps the medical knowledge was lacking overseas ?

Understand that the risk in Kruger, compared to tropical areas of the world - especially Africa - is relatively low, and that the largest majority of visitors to Kruger have never contracted malaria! Therefore, most of the people on this forum will tell me that they have been going for decades and have never had malaria.

This does not mean, however, that someone, somewhere will not be unlucky in contracting the disease. If we delve deeper, there will be several mites who will testify that they know of people - family, extended family, colleagues, etc. - who have been unfortunate enough to have had malaria. Some of these people will also have died of malaria, for whatever reasons!

My SO had a family member who, having been to Kruger virtually six times every year for forty-odd years, and never ever took any malaria prophylaxis, sadly passed away after not getting treatment in time for the disease!

Then there was the case of the renowned retired Kuger National Park head game ranger, conservationist, and author, Bruce Bryden, who tragically died in May 2009 after contracting malaria on a fishing trip in Mozambique. Despite continually spraying himself with mosquito repellents, he was bitten and, though he later complained of flu-like symptoms and was admitted to hospital, it was too late and he succumbed to the deadly disease!

Ndloti wrote:
I have not taken prophlaxis in the last 20 years ... besides at one place in the central district along a dry river course where there is a stagnant water pool from the borehole overflow - where we were advised to take prophylactics as a researcher who was there shortly prior to us had died a few weeks later after returning overseas - though perhaps the medical knowledge was lacking overseas ?

Though bodies of water obviously are where the mosquitoes like to frequent, one can still get bitten by a malaria-carrying mosquito in drier areas. Hence, all of Kruger is considered a seasonal malarial-risk area, and it is not appropriate to only take antimalarial prophylaxis because you are around areas where there are obvious bodies of water - waterholes, dams, pools, etc.

I don't know the details of the dead researcher that you mention, but many countries overseas that are free of malaria may not be sufficiently experienced to detect the disease promptly, or to initiate sufficient treatment timeously. Additionally, overseas people may delay by thinking it is only a flu or cold they have contracted, as the initial symptoms to malaria are similar.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:57 pm 
There will always be differing opinions as long as people are on this planet. That is a person's prerogative. However, decisions always have consequences - some benign, some more dire. Malaria is something where, if you are unlucky enough to contract the disease, and are unable to get appropriate treatment quickly enough, there is a good chance that death could be the end consequence.

My purpose here is to simply give people options, and to hopefully convey the more sensible ones; readers then understand that if they choose the more risky options, there may be a serious consequence. There may be, and there may not be. Some are lucky, some are not.

My suggestion is, if one can avoid putting oneself in harm's way, why not do so?!

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:00 am 
Son godin wrote:
Hi Gavinp,

I agree with Onewithnature that the risk is too high to take a baby to a malaria area.

The Kruger might not be that high risk malaria area, but what is the chance of a baby to fight the disease and survive. Most of malaria deaths are children under 5 years. See quote below from Redcross Malaria Day

"Malaria remains a killer disease with nearly 1 million people losing their lives every year. Eighty five per cent of deaths are children under 5 years of age".

My son is now 11 years old and we decided rather to visit other parks until he was 6 year old. Maybe we were over protective but rather save than sorry. Our friends on the other hand took their daughter, when she was 2 year old, to Mozambique in mid summer and she did not get any malaria. They visited the area frequently after building their own hut near Bilene and the children for the past 7 years never got malaria. Some are lucky and others not.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

A wise soul is a live soul!

Many people do take children to malarial areas, but I never took mine until she was 8 years old. Malaria is more difficult to initially establish in younger children, especially as they seldom can tell you exactly how they're feeling, and many people may think it is simply a flu or cold. Furthermore, the disease often progresses at a more rapid rate in young children, making early diagnosis and treatment all the more urgent!

If you do choose to take your young children into a malaria area, please ensure that they take antimalarial prophylaxis (if suitable for their age and condition), diligently use antimalarial nets and appropriate sprays and other non-drug antimalarial preventions! Know that the responsibility lies with you if you take your children into the malarial area.

After entering the malarial area, if the child (or anyone else from the malarial area!) develops flu-like symptoms (especially chills, fever, sweats, headache, fatigue, nausea and/or vomiting), immediately seek to have a malarial test and seek medical assistance! Even if it is several months after entering the malarial area, don't take any chances: do the test if in any doubt at all.

BE SMART, BE WISE, STAY ALIVE !!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next