Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Even Wilder Animals
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:38 am 

Location: Physical Address: Vereeniging Gauteng, Wannabe Address: Kruger Park
Yes, I didn't experience this with all the elephant's but I would say 60% of my elephant encounters in the north ended in me praying :pray: :lol: !

When I think of my elephant sightings in the south I remember a lot cars hanging around whilst the elephant's are hanging around on the roads. Where in the north the elephants don't allow the cars to pile up! I don't know..... maybe I just have extremely bad luck! :big_eyes:

Skukuza 28 - 2 Jan 2013
Malelane 2 - 4 Jan 2013

When in doubt, stop and look again.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:50 pm 

Had a similar experience with an ellie in the North in December. We were doing the Red Rocks road earlish one morning. We stopped when we saw a lone ellie in the bush to see if he was part of a herd or on his own.

Next thing I tell hubby he is gonna charge becasuse he is "hiding" his trunk. Hubby looks at me and is still busy telling me not to be ridiculous when the ellie flattens a bush and a small little tree on his way to us. Have never known hubby was that capable at GOOI-ING the bakkie in reverse and getting away ... It was a young bull with a little hole in his ear so I called it "gaatjie-oor".

Couple of days later we are doing the Red Rocks road from the other side and dont see much. Being bored, I call: "Gaatjie-oor, Gaatjie-oor where are you..."

NEXT thing (no lies) this SAME ellie appears in front of us and start hiding his trunk!!

All I have to say is that on both days hubby had his first beer QUITE early in the day!! And I might as well admit I also had my first cider on both days LONNNNG before we even thought about brekkie :tongue:

:)

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi
Just wondering Isn't one of the reasons for the ellies etc behaviour up north because they only see the vehicle once you are very close to them Down south Ls and Satara way they see you from afar. Also the amount of roads and trafiic is much less up North.

Post subject: Grumpy ellie encounters
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:36 pm 

Would love to hear others experiences with grumpy elephants in Kruger

Post subject: Re: Grumpy ellie encounters
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:53 am 

We had a very close encounter last December close to Biyamiti.

We were driving along this riverbed on the right and came past a vehicle looking at some elephants accross the river. After a while we continued about 200m down the road where we were blocked by a breeding herd walking in the road towards us so we started backing up towards the other vehicle, which also started reversing.

One adult female was especially iritated and did not leave the road for a second, especially since some cars were also piling up behind them. After reversing for 1.5km, the car which was on our side of the heard managed to squeeze through, which compressed matters a bit, so we just continued reversing.

All of a sudden I noticed another herd behind us slowly crossing the road and making their way towards the herd in front of us, which means we were totally boxed into a gap of about 200m with both herds approaching.

After a quick calculation, I decided to turn the car around and take my chances with the second herd behind us, as they were more scattered. Eventually with only about 50m seperating the two herds I made a bee-line between two elephants on either side of the road and the now very irate female in persuit.

Needless to say there were a few nervous squeecks in the car by the time we made it safely.

Post subject: Re: Grumpy ellie encounters
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:36 pm 

Hi Safari Gal,

I also remember a thread on this subject but can only find This One
It does have some good advice one what to do around ellies and some good stories of encounters as well.

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Post subject: Lessons in reversing up North
Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:52 pm 

During a trip to the Northern parts of the park we stayed Shingwedzi.
We had hired a VW kombi for the trip and on this vehicle it has a cooler fan that kicks in to cool the engine down.
This fan had a mind of its own and would turn on at random when we least expected it.

On a game drive along the S52 road we came across a family herd of elephant, in amongst some thick mopani bush.
This made it difficult to judge how many there were in the herd and where the 2 ends were.
We found ourselves in the middle of the herd at one stage and thought it best to let the herd move past us rather than us move past them.
We watched a nursery cross the road in front of us and the (BOUNCER) Matriarch gave a few hints that we were a bit too close for her comfort, we remained where we were because we thought the sound of an engine turning on might disturb them.
The matriarch turned and went behind a Mopani tree.
Then as luck would have it the cooler fan on the kombi kicked in, this was closely followed by the sound of the matriarch sounding the charge.
At this moment the engine was started and in reverse, the poor mopani tree that appeared to be barrier was flattened as the elephant made its intentions known to us.
The elephant stopped a bit too close for comfort and returned to its herd.

A close call that got the heart racing and highlighted the importance of reading animals signals and being able to reverse really well.

Post subject: Re: Lessons in reversing up North
Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:16 pm 

:lol: I think many of us have had lessons in reversing in Kruger! 8)

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:19 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
The best way to learn how to reverse with a trailer on is in this situation. You only get one chance to get it right!

Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:32 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
If I can, I get past and watch from beyond, or I inch along until I see the mood. If it is angry, I wait until I can get past, or reverse and go another route.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:33 pm 

I have noticed that the elephants up north are not as friendly as the ones in the south. The elephants in the South seem to be more tolerant of vehicles, i'm sure this is a result of there being more traffic in the south.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:46 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
I've had an 'altercation' as good as any, on the S25, the Crocodile River road.

Post subject: Re: Wilder Animals up North?
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
The animals especially the elephants up north are a bit wilder or a bit more skittish (the bokke) in my personal opinion – There are some big and grumpy elephants north of the Letaba River including the one’s a person could encounter driving the gravel road towards the Shimuwini Bushveld Camp :doh: .

leopard74 wrote:
60% of my elephant encounters in the north ended in me praying

Very appropriate :hmz: in some cases up north when a pesrson encounter grumpy elephants - :pray:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:11 pm 

SO and I were in the park in October/November and definitely noticed a difference in the temperament between the North and South Ellies.

We were quite surprised when we went out on a morning drive from Berg-en-Dal and came across a Mummy and baby and the ranger pulled up right next to them without any trouble at all - something we would definitely not try with an Ellie up North.

26/10/14 Tsendze
28/10/14 Letaba
30/10/14 Satara
03/11/14 Maroela
05/11/14 Satara
07/11/14 Berg-en-Dal
10/11/14 BOO HOO TIME - Off Home

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

As some of you know, I spend almost all my time in Kruger in the far north. I don't think the differences are that great. There is of course less traffic in the north, and therefore more animals who are not all that used to vehicles, but most animals get habituated to cars surprisingly fast (and to pedestrians in camps too, for that matter). This goes for almost all species, but is especially true for elephants and lions. From the moment game viewing vehicles start using roads and tracks regularly, it usually only takes a few weeks or months for most local sedentary animals to accept them and relax. Note that I'm not talking about hundreds of cars using a single tar road from morning to evening here, but about at most half a dozen vehicles pottering about in 28,000 hectares. That's all it takes.

You get grumpy elephants in the north as you do elsewhere, but the vast majority are completely relaxed around vehicles. If you behave sensibly, they will readily accept and ignore you. I recall an evening last November when we stopped and switched off the engine as a large breeding herd approached in the light of a full moon. They surrounded us for over forty minutes whilst feeding or just standing around, several of them coming close enough to brush against the vehicle. Game viewing doesn't get much better than that!

The lions in the north are as blasé about cars as they are down in the south. I do, however, occasionally encounter lions that have obviously rarely, or perhaps even never, seen a car before. Usually nomadic males, but not always. Funny thing is that I've had several such sightings on the H1-8 which carries quite a lot of Pafuri border traffic between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Last year I found 12 lion cubs playing in the road, under the watchful eye of two females. The cubs stared at me in wide-eyed amazement, and then carefully investigated the vehicle with a mixture of fear and curiosity in their eyes, onces in had switched the engine of and sat motionless in silence long enough. The females, however, immediately left the road upon my arrival, retreated into the bush and watched me warily from some distance.

The elephants of the Pafuri, by the way, range far and way, especially the bulls. The move as far north as Gonarezhou, and as far south as Shingwedzi. Try googling “Makuleke Transboundary Elephant Movements”.

Johan