Skip to Content

Travelling Alone in the Park

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Re: Would you visit Kruger park on your own?

Unread postby tent dweller » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:18 pm

Yes I would, I love my own company but I would need one thing of my husbands....................his credit card :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

DSchwartzel

Re: Would you visit Kruger park on your own?

Unread postby DSchwartzel » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:24 pm

Hi I've been going alone now a few times (4 times this year) as my better half doesn't quite like the bush as much as I do :shock: but never the less, I love it. For me the biggest challenge is, the accommodation I normally go for ablution facilities and the huts that sleep 1 or 2 like at lower sabie, and the challenge comes in remembering to bring everything (Cooking utensils, toiletries etc) Murphy's law one always forgets something.

The other challenge is the 'no companionship' not being able to have some one to talk to around the fire or on a drive can be draining some times, but Kruger being such a wonderful place, you always make new friends be it in the shop, or the hut next door.

Go and enjoy it! :)

Wildkyker
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Travelling Alone in the Park

Unread postby Wildkyker » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:59 am

I am convinced. There is no shame in wanting to do what you love, even if it means doing it alone.

Here is my TR of my first Solo trip http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=69111
and the TR of the trip with my family http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=72816

Both was wonderfull. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Mauxie

Unread postby Mauxie » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:33 pm

For me, I wouldn't have it any other way. :dance: :dance: Just drive slower to cope with the multi-tasking!!! :lol:

I have done about 9 trips, of about 12 days each, on my own and I LOVE it. My only hiccup was getting a puncture between Timbavati Picnic spot and Gudzani dam, during my last, trip in 2012. I must admit that it did rattle my cage a bit, for a few hours. :tongue:

I had to cancel a booking for this past October but have already booked my next trip, for September/October 2014. My leave form is in, my deposit is paid (I've even booked all my sunset and night drives) and NOTHING is going to stop me doing this trip. I can't wait!!!! 47 weeks to go. :dance: :dance:
KRUGER, my happy place!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
BIYAMITI 1st & 2nd OCTOBER
SKUKUZA 3rd & 4th
OLIFANTS 5th
SATARA 6th , 7th & 8th
LOWER SABIE 9th , 10th & 11th
BERG EN DAL 12th

flying cheetah
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby flying cheetah » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:48 pm

I start my next solo trip in 2 days, staying in th park for 24 days :dance: I love to sit at waterholes or hides when I'm all on my own and then I always sit much longer than when I'm with cpmpany.
On the other side the multitasking an get a bit stressful. Last year I did a wild dog rallye that lasted more than an hour. There were 8 dogs and 10-15 cars and during that time the dogs covered a distance of 6-7 km, mostly in the middle of the road. When the dogs finally left us I was both happy and exhausted :lol:
Akukho nyon' endiz' ingahlali phansi. (Zulu)
There is not a bird that flies and never sits down.

suebfly

Unread postby suebfly » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:55 am

I have done it!!! Booked my first solo trip EVER : ANYWHERE. Going to KNP for 8 nights in February. Being on my own does not worry me as I live on my own, but I hate driving so I will fly to Phalaborwa, hire a car there and 2k down the road I am in the Park where I can drive as slow as I like. It is something I have always wanted to try - I have done many trips with friends and family but this time it is all for me. I must admit I am terrified but very excited. So wish me luck and any advice will be greatly appreciated :lol: :D

Boorgatspook
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Boorgatspook » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:12 pm

Well done, suebfly! :clap: :clap: You're certainly going to have a blast. Don't try to worry about things that could happen, moistly they don't, and if they do, well its part of the journey. Enjoy!!

harrys
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby harrys » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:37 pm

I've done 2 solo trips both 5 days :dance: ,once I used my caravan(lots of fun getting the rally tent up :whistle: ) and second time also at Lower Sabie I stayed in a hut :thumbs_up: . My wife don't like my long drives(I would leave camp at 6 and return at 18:00) so I will go solo if I can :thumbs_up: . I like the alone time and sometimes it's great to be alone so you can clear your head :thumbs_up:
Say NO to hotels in KNP!!!

KNP:
Punda Maria:1-4 August 2015
Shingwedzi:4-8 August 2015
Letaba:8-10 August
Golden Gate: 15 to 20 November 2015

suebfly

Unread postby suebfly » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:54 pm

Thanks Boorgatspook - excellent advice - something I am very good at is worrying about things that probably wont happen - I will keep your words in mind :)

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)

Unread postby anne-marie » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:00 pm

suebfly wrote:I have done it!!! Booked my first solo trip EVER : ANYWHERE. Going to KNP for 8 nights in February. Being on my own does not worry me as I live on my own, but I hate driving so I will fly to Phalaborwa, hire a car there and 2k down the road I am in the Park where I can drive as slow as I like. It is something I have always wanted to try - I have done many trips with friends and family but this time it is all for me. I must admit I am terrified but very excited. So wish me luck and any advice will be greatly appreciated :lol: :D
:thumbs_up: and next time... again solo trip :dance:
have a nice flight and drive :wink:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

planing KTP janv/fev.2016

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:54 am

Suebfly, the first time I did a trip alone, I had a bit of trepidation. Mainly because I always enjoy sharing. I wondered how I would find it if I saw something really special and there was no one to share the moment.

I found an easy way to overcome this obstacle... I started to wait at sightings to point things out to the next car... I would stop cars, (especially if there were children), to inform them of special sightings. It has given me even greater moments and I have struck up surprising conversations.

My best moment was stopping to tell a woman where to find a Cheetah sighting. Unbeknown to me, she had two special needs children with her. The smile and excitement on their faces made my day so much more special.

I have grown to love and enjoy the solitude... in actual fact, I have really become a little selfish. Enjoy your trip, enjoy each moment. :thumbs_up:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

suebfly

Unread postby suebfly » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:48 pm

Thanks MM that is a wonderful idea. I have no problem with being on my own but the one thing I am not looking forward to is not being able to share in the moment - so I will definitely do that, that way I can share the experience as it happens.

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)

Unread postby anne-marie » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:17 pm

Meandering Mouse wrote:....... My best moment was stopping to tell a woman where to find a Cheetah sighting. Unbeknown to me, she had two special needs children with her. The smile and excitement on their faces made my day so much more special.......
excellent MM :k
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

planing KTP janv/fev.2016

Return to “Kruger National Park”