Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Would you visit Kruger park on your own?
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Yes I would, I love my own company but I would need one thing of my husbands....................his credit card :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Post subject: Re: Would you visit Kruger park on your own?
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:24 pm 

Hi I've been going alone now a few times (4 times this year) as my better half doesn't quite like the bush as much as I do :shock: but never the less, I love it. For me the biggest challenge is, the accommodation I normally go for ablution facilities and the huts that sleep 1 or 2 like at lower sabie, and the challenge comes in remembering to bring everything (Cooking utensils, toiletries etc) Murphy's law one always forgets something.

The other challenge is the 'no companionship' not being able to have some one to talk to around the fire or on a drive can be draining some times, but Kruger being such a wonderful place, you always make new friends be it in the shop, or the hut next door.

Go and enjoy it! :)

Post subject: Re: Travelling Alone in the Park
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:59 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I am convinced. There is no shame in wanting to do what you love, even if it means doing it alone.

Here is my TR of my first Solo trip http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=69111
and the TR of the trip with my family http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=72816

Both was wonderfull. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:33 pm 

For me, I wouldn't have it any other way. :dance: :dance: Just drive slower to cope with the multi-tasking!!! :lol:

I have done about 9 trips, of about 12 days each, on my own and I LOVE it. My only hiccup was getting a puncture between Timbavati Picnic spot and Gudzani dam, during my last, trip in 2012. I must admit that it did rattle my cage a bit, for a few hours. :tongue:

I had to cancel a booking for this past October but have already booked my next trip, for September/October 2014. My leave form is in, my deposit is paid (I've even booked all my sunset and night drives) and NOTHING is going to stop me doing this trip. I can't wait!!!! 47 weeks to go. :dance: :dance:

LOWER SABIE - 30th Sept.& 1st/2nd Oct.
OLIFANTS - 3rd/4th Oct.
SATARA - 5th/6th Oct.
SKUKUZA - 7th/8th Oct.
BERG EN DAL - 9th Oct.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:48 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I start my next solo trip in 2 days, staying in th park for 24 days :dance: I love to sit at waterholes or hides when I'm all on my own and then I always sit much longer than when I'm with cpmpany.
On the other side the multitasking an get a bit stressful. Last year I did a wild dog rallye that lasted more than an hour. There were 8 dogs and 10-15 cars and during that time the dogs covered a distance of 6-7 km, mostly in the middle of the road. When the dogs finally left us I was both happy and exhausted :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:55 am 

I have done it!!! Booked my first solo trip EVER : ANYWHERE. Going to KNP for 8 nights in February. Being on my own does not worry me as I live on my own, but I hate driving so I will fly to Phalaborwa, hire a car there and 2k down the road I am in the Park where I can drive as slow as I like. It is something I have always wanted to try - I have done many trips with friends and family but this time it is all for me. I must admit I am terrified but very excited. So wish me luck and any advice will be greatly appreciated :lol: :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:12 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Well done, suebfly! :clap: :clap: You're certainly going to have a blast. Don't try to worry about things that could happen, moistly they don't, and if they do, well its part of the journey. Enjoy!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I've done 2 solo trips both 5 days :dance: ,once I used my caravan(lots of fun getting the rally tent up :whistle: ) and second time also at Lower Sabie I stayed in a hut :thumbs_up: . My wife don't like my long drives(I would leave camp at 6 and return at 18:00) so I will go solo if I can :thumbs_up: . I like the alone time and sometimes it's great to be alone so you can clear your head :thumbs_up:

Phalaborwa Safari Park 16 to 18 August 2014
KNP: Maroela 18 to 24 August 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:54 pm 

Thanks Boorgatspook - excellent advice - something I am very good at is worrying about things that probably wont happen - I will keep your words in mind :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:00 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
suebfly wrote:
I have done it!!! Booked my first solo trip EVER : ANYWHERE. Going to KNP for 8 nights in February. Being on my own does not worry me as I live on my own, but I hate driving so I will fly to Phalaborwa, hire a car there and 2k down the road I am in the Park where I can drive as slow as I like. It is something I have always wanted to try - I have done many trips with friends and family but this time it is all for me. I must admit I am terrified but very excited. So wish me luck and any advice will be greatly appreciated :lol: :D
:thumbs_up: and next time... again solo trip :dance:
have a nice flight and drive :wink:

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:54 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Suebfly, the first time I did a trip alone, I had a bit of trepidation. Mainly because I always enjoy sharing. I wondered how I would find it if I saw something really special and there was no one to share the moment.

I found an easy way to overcome this obstacle... I started to wait at sightings to point things out to the next car... I would stop cars, (especially if there were children), to inform them of special sightings. It has given me even greater moments and I have struck up surprising conversations.

My best moment was stopping to tell a woman where to find a Cheetah sighting. Unbeknown to me, she had two special needs children with her. The smile and excitement on their faces made my day so much more special.

I have grown to love and enjoy the solitude... in actual fact, I have really become a little selfish. Enjoy your trip, enjoy each moment. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:48 pm 

Thanks MM that is a wonderful idea. I have no problem with being on my own but the one thing I am not looking forward to is not being able to share in the moment - so I will definitely do that, that way I can share the experience as it happens.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:17 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
Meandering Mouse wrote:
....... My best moment was stopping to tell a woman where to find a Cheetah sighting. Unbeknown to me, she had two special needs children with her. The smile and excitement on their faces made my day so much more special.......
excellent MM :k