Skip to Content

Leftover money

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
kssager

Leftover money

Unread postby kssager » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:52 pm

First time poster, and planning first time to Kruger/South Africa. The idea to look into taking vacation to South Africa started in January, and with so much to do in this country our plans have changed many times. Through these changes, we have found ourselves with excess money on our "camping" tab...which is going to be around R3000 (we are going to cancel 3 nights in Kruger). So my questions are:
1)rather than get a refund, we would like to use this money towards a Wildcard. However, I only see the option to add conservation fees as a daily basis, and not the actual Wildcard (we are staying in Kruger for 6 nights).
2)If no Wildcard, is it possible to get a refund on the credit card or should I just use that money towards the daily conservation fee?
3)I know we could reserve game drives..sort of hesitant on that as we don't know weather or if we will really feel like going on game drive after driving around all day. We have 2 adults and a 6 year old girl. I would only consider a night drive to see different game...but also really want to sit/cook at the brai after a long day of driving around looking for animals. (we have 2 Croc Bridge, 3 Tamboti, and 1 Croc Bridge as our itinerary)

Karin Mitton
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Leftover money

Unread postby Karin Mitton » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:12 pm

Welcome to the forum kssager!

Unfortunately I am not able to comment on your first 2 questions.

regarding the night drives - I also find it a difficult decision. Previously I would go on one almost every night, but on my last 2 trips I did not go on any.

Advantages of the night drives - you do get to see some of the nocturnal animals that you may not see in the day. And being in the bush at night is different.

Advantages of not going on a night drive - you can do a morning drive, go back to camp to rest a little and give your little one a break, and then do a late afternoon drive. You do not have to rush back to be in time for the drive. and you may get lucky with some delicious late afternoon sightings (happened to me!)
You can also relax with a braai after your long day.

Also, a 6 year old may not appreciate the duration of the night drive, and depending on the time of year that you go, it could also get quite chilly.

Having said this - the night drives from CB delivers often, so maybe do consider one for your 2nd or last night. You do not have to book to long in advance, and can do so when you arrive.

AndreaB

Unread postby AndreaB » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:25 pm

I also had money left over that I didnt want to leave for year so I asked for a refund on my credit card, it wasnt a problem and the money arrived within a couple of weeks.

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:46 pm

If you email Reservations and ask if you can purchase a Wild Card they should be able to help. Otherwise you should be able to ask them for a refund
Nominations are now open for the Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2015

kssager

Unread postby kssager » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:44 pm

Thanks for the answers. I did try to email reservations already, but did not get a response. I will try this again, as maybe the way I worded it was confusing.
And thanks about the info concerning game drives. I think we will wait until we get there to decide whether we want to do a drive or not.

badprop_za

Unread postby badprop_za » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:02 pm

Something else to consider is that no u12s allowed on night drives.
Why do time fly when you are having fun?

KNP - May'14 done and dusted :cry:

KNP - 14 Aug'15 to 21 Aug'15 :dance:

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:52 pm

Actually children of 6 and over are allowed on drives. The 12 and over rule is for the walks.
Nominations are now open for the Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2015

Madalla

Unread postby Madalla » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:50 pm

Hi kssager.

Welcome to the Forum. I am positive that you will enjoy your stay in KNP and that there will be many happy returns.
I suggest that you consider using your left-over money to purchase a wild card.

Look at the maths:

Conservation fees (payable without a wild card):

R280 per person for adults and R140 per child. In your case that amounts to R700 per day. 6 Days = R4 200

Cost of wild card for you: R3310.

I am sorry that that will not solve your problem completely - you are still sitting with the problem of some left-over money. Eish!

I suggest a night drive - it is a totally different experience from your day-time driving around and I think well worth the money.

The gates open very early in January - 5:30 - and close at 18:30. You have 14 hours to drive around
Driving around during the day need not be tiring - just dont be over ambitious.
Leave at opening time and return to the camp at about 11:00. Then drive out again at about 15:00 and return at closing time.

Tamboti camp is situated on the banks of a (mostly) dry river and just sitting outside enjoying the silence and watching the scenery, birds and any animals that might come walking by in the river is also a great relaxing experience.

But, above all, relax and enjoy!
I wish I was as rich as the family thinks I am and as clever as I think I am

kssager

Unread postby kssager » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:07 am

Thank you Madalla. Yes, I am for sure trying to get a WildCard with my leftover money. If not, then I will use it towards drives or conservation fees. I have sent another email to park reservations to see if they can help me get the WildCard with leftover money. We will probably only do 1 drive (and most likely a night drive to see the nocturnal creatures). We will be getting up early to be out of the gates first thing. Would much rather be out seeing the African sunrise in the bush than back at camp snoozing. Then we will play it by ear for our day...how long we drive, coming back to rest, etc. I will say I will probably be going stir crazy by being back in camp during the day while the wilds of Kruger are right outside of the fence....and be itching to get back on the road. We shall see

minettest

Unread postby minettest » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:28 pm

We purchased a wild card as we entered our first camp and it worked out cheaper than the conservation fee per day
:dance: 20/03/16 - crocodile bridge camp
21/03/16 - crocodile bridge camp
22/03/16 - maroela camp
23/03/16 - maroela camp
24/03/16 - letaba
25/03/16 - letaba
26/03/16 - letaba
CAN ABSOLUTELY NOT WAIT!!! :lol:

Return to “Kruger National Park”