Skip to Content

Rain in Kruger

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
King_Of_The_Hill

Wet Wet Wet

Unread postby King_Of_The_Hill » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:58 am

Hi all,

So the weather reports are all saying that it has been and continues to be a wet weekend in Kruger. The SA Weather Service even warning about flooding :shock:

As we prepare for our visit to the Park in the the next couple of days I'm feeling rather anxious - and the pools of water growing along side the Orpen waterhole currently aren't making me feel any better. Is anyone in the Park currently? Is there place for all this water to go? Has the Park had decent rains up until now or are these the first big downpours of the season?

I'm crossing all parts of my body that can possibly be crossed that we will still be able to have our holiday later in the week....
"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin, Me and Bobby McGee

DinkyBird

Re: Wet Wet Wet

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:36 am

Hi - I can understand that you are anxious. But just keep an eye on the weather reports and also this website - if there are any problems SANParks will issue warnings and alerts. They have a lot of experience dealing with flooding having had three severe floods in years just past. Roads are quickly closed if there is any risk.

Just be cautious if it should rain heavily while you are in the park, pay attention to news releases by asking at the receptions, and keep off the gravel roads, and do not cross rivers that are flowing.

Also when you drive to the park, make sure you are heading to a gate that is open and not closed because of a flooding river.
Sawubona
Dalene

Elsa

Re: Rain in Kruger

Unread postby Elsa » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:20 am

Hopefully this is just the start of the Summer rains which the park needs quite badly.

As DB has said, just be aware of sand roads, but they are usually closed if rain continues and alerts issued.
You can keep an eye on This Topic where we try to keep any problem areas updated.

We were in the park last March when they had intensive rain and storms and it was quite interesting and fascinating to see the park in a different light.
Some times the sightings can be even better as animals come onto the tar roads.

Good luck and have a wonderful and safe trip. :thumbs_up:
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Tessa G
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Tessa G » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:45 am

I have been keeping an eye on the weather reports, because we are due to enter the Park on Tuesday 30th and as is sometimes the case, the weather stations differ slightly, but from what I can see today, Sunday 28th, and Monday 29th, heavy rain is expected. On Tuesday it appears that it should start clearing and then for the next week we can expect the weather to be fairly good with warm days. I have taken this from a report on the Phalaborwa area, as this is where we are entering the park.

I think DB and Elsa give good advice and we just need to be aware. The rivers should be flowing beautifully, so we should expect to see something different and of course rivers that are usually dry, like Shingwedzi, Timbavati and parts of Letaba should be flowing, so I am looking forward to this :D

Have a wonderful trip King Of The Hill. :D
TR: 11 DAYS BACK HOME IN KRUGER WITH TESSA AND DAVE 2014/2015

December 2015/2016 in Kruger - From Top to Tail
17 - 19 Punda Maria
20 - 22 Shingwedzi
23 - 25 Letaba
26 - 01 Tamboti
02 - 06 Lower Sabie

King_Of_The_Hill

Unread postby King_Of_The_Hill » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:22 pm

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! You've all hit the nail on the head - this is the first time I'm visiting in the wet season. Not knowing what to expect is probably what is causing my anxiety. Anyway, at the same time I am very excited for the holiday. Safe travels Tessa G...
"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin, Me and Bobby McGee

yoda
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby yoda » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:56 am

I was at Skukuza on the 26th and it rained really hard while I was on my evening drive.
Headed back to camp as I really couldn't see anything.

K-4S

Unread postby K-4S » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:49 am

I was looking on other social media platforms this morning and it seems as if rivers are starting to swell around Skukuza and there was a flooding incident in Hoedspruit.

I Will try and post the pictures here if I can get them off my phone :cam:
January 2015
Balule | Tamboti

June 2015
Shimuwini | Shingwedzi | Punda Maria

October 2015
Balule | Letaba

Inyati

Unread postby Inyati » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:09 am

Morning All...

My folks have booked a day pass for the Croc bridge gate on the 1st and 3RD Jan... Is the river still ok to cross?
What is the case if the gate is closed, and you have booked a day entry? Do they go to Malalane?

Thanks
"All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific."

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bert » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:15 am

many reports on FB
All rivers are flowing strongly in Kruger
Even Timbavati
But it all seems okay

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:48 pm

Seems there are some road closures due to causeways flooding. We'll try to monitor the notices as we get them and Dinky Bird has started a topic for the rainy season where we can put any updates that we get.

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=83379

@Inyati, the bridge was rebuilt a few years ago and while there are still closures they are not as frequent as when the bridge was lower. There should be signs on the approach roads to say the gate is closed.

I'll try to find out if the gate quotas are swapped.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:58 pm

Yes gate quotas get added to Malelane if CB is closed......and total chaos results at the gate! It becomes frantically busy as you can well imagine. Fortunately I think only 2 or 3 days since the new bridge was opened.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

watershed

Unread postby watershed » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:07 pm

We have booked 3 weeks in Kruger in Feb/March. I didn't think about it being the rainy season. So we either cancel our trip and go at a later date or we grin and bear it, cross fingers and toes and pretend the rain isn't happening.
I think it is going to be the latter.
24.02.15 - 27.02 Berg-en-Dal
27.02. - 03.03 Skukuza
03.03. - 06.03. Satara
06.03. - 09.03 Letaba
09.03. - 12.03. Shingwedzi
12.03. - 15.03. Olifants
15. 03. - 17.03. Lower Sabie

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:34 pm

It is a very special experience to be in the park when the rain is happening ...

Watershed, it seems you will miss Cricket@Skukuza over the weekend of 7 March ... that is a pity. Unless you change your booking :P
Sawubona
Dalene

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby hilda » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:10 am

Come rain or snow, nothing (weatherwise) will keep me out of the Park if I have a booking watershed! Enjoy your trip! :dance: :dance:
The secret of life is not to do what you like, but to like what you do. - Unknown.

AndreaB

Unread postby AndreaB » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:53 pm

Got 2 weeks in the park come 12 Feb, it can snow for all I care, I AM COMING Image

Return to “Kruger National Park”