Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: The Parks Shop
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:23 pm 

Does the parks shop not realise how much income they loose by their exorbitant high prices. We just got back from eight nights in Kruger, our grocery and drinks bill before we left was about R4000. All the shopping was done before the time. If the parks shops were more reasonably priced, and well stocked, this shopping could have been done before the time. I'd gladly leave the cooler boxes at home.

Nkuhlu picnic place and Letaba restuarant deserve a pat on the back for wHat they are doing!

Am I the only person who feels that way?

Natal central 12-22 Sept

Post subject: Re: The Parks Shop
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:01 am 

Not only are the prices extremely high, but they differ from shop to shop. At satara I bought my kids a curio which cost R57.00. At Crocodile Bridge the same thing cost R41.00!! How do they justify this?

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:26 am 

You make a valid point - once spoke to the owner of the Skukuza shop he says he is there to make profit and is not ashamed of that (must confess that he has a right to make a profit) but the prices are crazy - even a map of Kruger R25.00 at the gate is R45.00 at the shop.

We also buy everything outside the park - Nelspruit has a fantastic butcher - the SPAR at the crossing - try their Large rump in special basting sauce - a must - (they have just been voted best S.A. Butchery :clap: ) I stop there every time on the way down- will get some on Friday as we are going to Skukuza

We take only essentials from JHB and buy the rest at Nelspruit or Malalane - as you say their Loss

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:51 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The only thing I take when I go to Kruger is meat and cheese (I keep Kosher, so can't buy these things there. This also means I am completely self-catering, I never eat at the restaurants). I also have not stayed in any of the non-main camps (yet). Truth be told, I've changed a booking from Malelane to Crocodile Bridge because of the shop issue.

Otherwise I've never had a problem getting what I wanted or working around it. To be honest I don't really pay attention to the prices and it makes my life easier to do the shopping there instead of worrying about it and planning beforehand (I do enough planning and worrying as it is).

I am continually impressed at the range stocked by the shops in the camps as well as the hours they're open (which might also contribute to higher prices?)

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:37 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I notice the same thing especially since we've done our week long trip from the North till the South. We stay in Nelspruit so we use to the prices being highly different let's say between Olifants and LS.

My SO bought me a stuffed hippo at BnD once and it was around R 90 but when he priced the same hippo at LS and Skukuza it coast R 120!

Yes there is a massive difference between camps prices

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:48 am 

For years we have been going to Kruger. And yes complained about the prices. I've never really paid any attention to other's total at the till. But now knowing the huge amount some of the international tourists drop with one shopping spree, it's quit an eye opener. I do understand that each shop must make a profit, but the inconsistancy in prices of the same the product, at the different shops do get to me :naughty: . I feel that is unnesseccary and quit frustrating at times. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:59 pm 

Location: My hart le in die rooi duine van die Kalahari. Jozi...Ex.Nelspruit
Its called monopoly...they can do what they want...our rands do not go as far as the dollars or pounds our friends from overseas bring with, but I still feel that all park shops should have "standardized" prices. Its still sad but as locals we still have the option to shop outside the park - so theoretically if we are lazy in doing this its our own fault for paying top dollar.

Punda Maria 27/04 - 01/05 '12
Balule 21/03 - 25/03 '12

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

michaelpr wrote:
A book about mammals cost R270 in Satara, but only R190 in the CNA...

That I'm not really surprised about. But I guess I have the opportunity to buy my books outside the park.
I rarely buy anything but groceries in the park

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:19 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Believe most books are aimed at the foreign market.
ID books are very expensive :shock:
Suspect each Saffie birder will have his/her ID book
ready and used :thumbs_up:
But you still find specials which can only be bought in Kruger.
Like Jannie Kriels book for eg.
And in the shops you do find a nice selection of some
great coffee table books.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:05 pm 

Micetta wrote:
Try to examin the question a bit closer. All kind of commerce is tied together with competition and volume of sales. The shops of the park do not have any of the two. The traffic in the park varies a lot and in dull moments they cannot keep everything in stock as can a super market where people (the same people) go shopping regularly and thus have less merchandise on which to charge the expenses. a.s.o. I do not want to keep a lecture....... :whistle:

Sure its about commerce. but the no of visitors is an easily obtainable statistic. if you do the maths, a camp like satara accomodates lets say 400 people, if they like us spend an average of R100 per head per day, that comes to R40 000 per day only for basics, then the sweets , souveniers etc on top of that. I was Charged R53 for a 5kg bag of charcoal (not briquetes) at satara, something i buy at home for R18, and my local shop also makes a profit.

The other thing that one should consider is what the competitions board may have to say about the situation. Remember the staff are also forced to purchase thier groceries there. The competitions board fined Mittal steel many millions because he abused his monopoly.

And remember the more it costs people to go tp the parks the less feet there will be, which long term whill mean the death of the parks. something us park lovers :pray: never happens.

Natal central 12-22 Sept

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:56 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This morning on Radio Midrand (93.8 FM) the presenter was complaining about high prices in the shops at KNP.

If I remember correctly, he made the comparison that he bought an original artwork on the side of the road near Graskop for R150 yet a fabric print cost near R700 in the shop. He also mentioned that he paid R15 for a can of baked beans.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:29 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The money spent in the Park shops and restaurants - most definitely do not go towards developing KRUGER or Nature Conservation. The apay for a consession and the frofits made are theirs.

Last year I was looking for a Rogue belt, it cost R 300.00 in SKUKUZA, I paid R89.00 for the same in Vereeniging . . . . .

I remember many years ago, my children used to save up their pocket money for our visits, they used to spend hours sniffiling around in the shops and then come out with their shopping, all sorts of items, some which they still treasure even today. Today I am afraid this is not possible - the shops are just too expensive.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:51 am 

Being a real fan of Kruger, a fanatic forumite and mod its always difficult to criticise :wink:

But the prices in the shops are not realistic and even for a dutchie.
T-Shirts with prints are more expensive then in my country.
Also had a look at the Rogue buff shoes.
They leather must be extremely good for the price asked :whistle:
Prices of food were up since last year.

To me it looks like the shops are aiming at the daytrippers.
Saw a bus unloading and loading the daytrippers with some goodies

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:09 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We always take all our food and drinks with us, but sometimes do have to buy something at the shops, and I always feel ripped off - even the ice is expensive! My son loves to browse around the shops and always wants to buy something to remember his trip, but I always discourage him - which is very sad! :cry:

But funnily enough I was just looking at my map which I bought at LS in September - it cost R18.00 and I even remember thinking that it was cheap for KP! :huh:

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:15 am 

Maps and basic food supplies are not to expensive :thumbs_up:
coffee table and ID books were always more expensive