Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cats inside camps???
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:15 am 

If a Camp is fenced, you can walk around at night as far as I know.
But you have to be aware that game will enter.
You have to be aware at all the time, otherwise the fence is useless!
If you stay in an unfenced Camp, that will be another Story! you shouldn't go out at night, because predators will come in the Camp at night.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:21 pm 

I once heard that a leopard was shot in Letaba camp and few years ago...2005 I think...

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:18 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
I know we must always be wary when walking around camps at night ... keep your eyes and ears peeled, wear socks and shoes, and have a good torch. But, I still know that the chance of dangerous predators wandering around in fenced camps is rare ... so, hey, I still love to find a bench near a river or dam and just silently appreciate the magnificence of the bush! I have done it for years and have never seen anything untoward. Of course, I'm aware there are snakes and small mammals around, but I don't go gallavanting around unnecessarily - just prefer to sit quietly and enjoy. Nothing wrong with that IMHO.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:58 pm 

Apparently there is a leopard with half a tail hanging around Pretoruiskop at the moment. According to staff its creating havoc in the staff living quarters ?

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:16 pm 

Very happy to see a civet at Satara and Lower Sabie
Not the dangerous cats but they are almost always around in all camps

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:54 pm 

We were lucky enough to have a genet come past our braai in Berg-en- Dal in July and it sat and watched us for a while.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

There were lions inside Lower Sabie last weekend! :big_eyes: Not too sure of the whole story..maybe someone else knows something?

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Had a Spotted Genet jion us for a braai in Mopani in December it was great

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:05 pm 

We had the large-spotted Genet visit in Mopani, B & D and on the latest trip, Punda Maria, plus the Bush baby. :D
Unfortunately, they are all after the food they are clearly being fed by some visitors. :(

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:19 pm 

The difference between a small spotted Genet and a Large spotted Genet is NOT the size.
The best point to Identify is by looking at the tail. If the cat have a black tip then it will be a Large spotted Genet, if they have a white tip it will be a Small spotted Genet.
A LSG has a yellow fur with black Dots, a SSG have a greyish fur with black Dots.

Ok back to Topic, of course can it be, that Predators entering the camp, but still the probability is low.
There were Stories no doubt, but very often it is the fault of stupid tourists.
Because they gonna feed them.
Have a close look at Letaba, the Bushbuck will not survive in wilderness any more, because they beg for food, lost fear of humans and Predators..... .I think that is the biggest Problem!

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:20 pm 

Are you referring to this incident, Schumi786 ?
Please see page #2 :
Quote:
Re: Lion shot at Lower Sabie

Dear Dalene

Thanks for the enquiry below regarding the recent lion shooting at Lower Sabie. Hopefully the following will shed some light on the decision making process that was followed.

Six lions killed a waterbuck along the Lower Sabie camp fence yesterday (28 March 2010) earlier in the morning. As soon as the camp gate opened, tourists started moving around, causing traffic jam around the area, trying to get the best sighting of the kill. Somehow, lions became uncomfortable and started moving away from the carcass and moved towards the camp gate. As they were about to cross the road, some of the tourist vehicles got closer and two of the lions ran inside the camp and the others went away. One of the lions went into the picnic site and the other into a thick bush next to the staff residence.

The Section Ranger, Derick Mashale and his team of field rangers decided that urgent action needs to be taken to prevent a possible attack on or injury to guests and staff. A team from Veterinary Services from Skukuza also rushed to Lower Sabie and joined the ranger team in order to assist them to remove the lions from the camp. One of the lions that had moved away was now at the entrance camp gate possibly trying to locate the two lions that were inside the camp. The team managed to remove the lion at the gate and the one that was at the picnic area which left them with one lion in the thick bush around the staff residence.

The team was not keen on taking the risk with capturing the lion using the vehicle due to the thickness of the area and instead walked in. When the team swept through the area and got to a very thick area some two and half metres away, the lion jumped out aiming for an attack and they had to put it down as the situation was extremely dangerous. No one was injured, the options were weighed and the entire operation was carried out professionally and successfully.

Any wild animal trapped within a confined space such as rest camp with people milling around is bound to be dangerous and it is simply not worth taking the risk of someone getting injured or killed.

As much as we regret the killing of any animal in the park, the potential injury risk to guests or staff sometimes necessitate harsh action. Each case is however treated on merit taking all possible factors into account.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:52 pm 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
I still find it tragic that the lions had to suffer - it's not their fault. And, I suppose, people will be people and hem them in. This is the second incident - about a year ago, there was that leopard that died trapped by the fence near the gate as people surrounded it. It is a sad state of affairs, but one can understand the actions of the staff.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
That's just horrible :( I do understand, but still it's not very pleasant to hear about animals paying the ultimate price because of the human presence in the park.
I can only imagine how terrified the poor animal must have been *sigh* How would you feel if you were in unfamiliar territory, and completely trapped ... Makes me want to cry ...

On topic, no cats in camps for me over the many years I've been to the park, but ummm one of the most terrifying moments I had was in 2004.
We were in LS in a hut, and of course, my bladder makes itself known in the worst way at 3.30am.
Very inconsiderate is my bladder really.
So, off I go to the communal loo. Do what I need to do, and, most relieved, turn away from the urinal.
Let me tell you, that seeing a 2 metre black mamba 3 metres away, and watching you, made no difference to the fact that I've already emptied the source of my previous discomfort.
Fortunately, the ledge that the sinks are in was close to me, so being the brave Seffrican male that I am, I found myself on top of one of the toilet walls within about half a second.
Fortunately, mr or mrs mamba wasn't particularly interested, and wandered off out the door rather sluggishly (it wasn't particularly warm), and I used the opportunity to make use of the facility below me, and scarpered out of the opposite door.

Is the bush calling loudly? Read about the Bush Camps presented by the HR's

July/August 2014
27-30 Tamboti (Number 40!!!)
30-1 Letaba
1-4 Shingwedzi
4-6 Mopani

Unread postPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:34 pm 

We spent a couple of night at Shimuwini in October 08. We were staying in one of the huts which overlook the river. We were sitting enjoying the peace and quite after our braai on our last night, when we noticed fireflies near the boundary fence, so we went to have a closer look.
After being out there for about 10 min we were approached by an armed ranger and were asked to go back into our hut because a bull elephant had broken through the fence and was browzing on the vegetation about 2 doors down.

The situation was handled very well by the park officials and the elephant was removed without any problems. :clap: :clap:

Mizzbee, balule is great the hyenas patrol the boundary fence regularly. It is my most favourite camp in Kruger.

Post subject: Re: Cats and animals inside camps???
Unread postPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:07 am 

Only because i have to add my large spotted genet at Punda :wink:
While playing cards on the deck of Tent no2 my SO looked behind me and only a few feet away on a beam a genet was wondering who was winning this time
The genet stayed with us for half an hour
The next day was SOs birthday and again, only for a few minues the Genet appeared again to celebrate :thumbs_up:
Was able to get a movie snippet

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next