Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cats inside camps???
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:38 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

On a serious note, I have seen, with my own eyes, a Leopard in Skukuza in 2001, and on two occasions in PK.
The rule is that they are more scared of us than we of them. And that's a fact.
Otherwise I would not be sitting here typing this.
The one in Skz was about 30 metres or less from me, and we looked each other in the eyes....

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:42 am 

Luckily never seen cats in camp, but few years ago while going out for the early morning drive we came across a hyena in Satara

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:17 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Seen lion twice in Skukuza, but that was in the seventies. Hyenas were actually common in camps at one stage. Saw one in Skukuza about three years ago. Leopard spoor in Lower Sabie. Honey Badger in Skukuza.
Although Skukuza is not my favourite camp, we have had awesome in-camp sightings there through the years.

1-6 May '13

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:31 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
A leopard, or or for that matter any other cat, will back off if it hears or sees you first. If you surprise or corner a leopard it will attack. A golden rule that I follow is to make a noise when approaching a hide or any place where there are no other people around, and where a leopard may be lurking. Let the leopard know that you are coming and it will back off.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:32 am 

I don't know if they are more scared of us than we of them. In December we stayed for 3 nights at Grootkolk in the KTP.
This is an unfenced camp and we had leopard walk pass our chalet on 3 occasions barely a few meters away.
They were not the least bit interested in us and merely going to the waterhole for a drink.

I do think that most animals have a healthy respect for humans and on the game walks we did in KNP the lions we came across usually retreated as soon as they became aware of our presence.
The situation could be different if they felt threatened or had cubs

Methinks that at night it could be a different story or even if the leopard was injured and therefore handicapped with respect to hunting.
Remember a leopard attacking a guide on the Matjulu bridge a few years ago.
They were on a night drive and the guide thought it was a good idea to sit on the bridge for a smoke break :doh: :wall:

Did not feel scared at the time of seeing those leopards at Grootkolk but when you think about it afterwards you realise what a dangerous situation it could be.

On the dassie trail in the Augrabies we came across leopard spoor........you would not have a chance if a leopard decided to attack you on this trail.

Best chance to see a leopard form your patio - go to Grootkolk. We have also on 2 occasions seen lion on the other side of the fence at Biyamiti.

Early one morning saw a dead bushbuck in the toilet entrance in Nkulu picnic site :shock: - the attendant told us a leopard was dragging it to the toilet and was disturbed when he arrived at the picnic site.

In December 2010, we found a lioness and cubs in the toilet at Dikbaardskolk picnic site in the KTP. I did post pix of this in the arid parks forum

Last edited by Duke Ellieton on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:18 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The trailists at Metsi Metsi trail were treated to a lioness in the camp at lunch time,
A year or so ago a non active member of this forums close relative saw a leopard inside Skukuza late one night .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:48 am 

About 4 years ago (I think) we were visited by a hyena at LS. She came in the middle of the night and bit chunks out of our dustbin on our stoep (porch). She made so much noise that she woke us up, my SO was :pray: that it wasn't a leopard or baboon as we were in one of the luxury tents and we had left the bathroom flaps open :wall: .

We told the receptionists the next morning and they were pretty blase about the whole thing and said they called her "Spotty". I thought it was pretty ironic though that they had "Beware the Baboons" signs all over the place when there was a hyena running around at night!

:shock:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Eagle Owl! :lol:
Remember the civet paw marks next to your tent at Letaba last December? How excited we all were?

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:28 pm 

I've not seen big cats in camp, seen Civet at Tamboti on the deck of our tent, and last year on my bush walk we saw cheetah about 10metres away. It was amazing and I did not even think of any danger at the time, however the guide said that in all his 10 years of bush walks this was the first time he had seen cheetah - and he went for his rifle about 4 times!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:53 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Luckily (unluckily :hmz: :hmz: ) I have never seen large cats in a camp. Neither snakes. Civet, Porcupine, and African Wild Cat, yes.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:12 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

In about 1988 at Berg-en-Dal, I heard a leopard being caught in a cage at about 4 in the morning. On our way out before we left the camp gates we got out and went to look along the fence (on the right hand side, the bushy area between the entrance gate and the camping area) we saw Mr Spotty laying in the cage sleeping. Mr Ranger snarled and growled at us and ordered us to get lost, .....so we did.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:50 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

When we were at Punda Maria last October , just outside the camp , a badly wounded buffalo got away from hunting lions , and ran right into the camp . The buffalo had to be shot by the rangers . It cause quite a lot of excitement inside the camp ( the gate guard ran away ) , but just imagine what could have happened if the lions had persued and then caught the buffalo inside the camp!

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:19 pm 

I heard some stories of Leopards entering Shingwedzi Camp. but this Story is years back.
But even so the Camp is fenced, there is always animals around.
I have seen in various camps, Hyenas, Jackals, AWC, Genets,Snakes, BFC (But I'm not sure.... . It was to quick(not in KNP)). You can always can see mammals from the camp like Monkeys, Baboons, Antelopes. the probability is always there!

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:34 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This is a very interesting thread.

Did anyone notice in's Martie's blog, she had been told that the reason the leopard at Tamboti was shot, was because visitors were out of their tents looking for the leopard? So people thought they were helping and instead caused the leopard's death.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:57 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Anyone know whether it is okay to walk around at night in camps?
I would suppose it is recommended that people stay in their huts and tents as much as possible, especially as wild animals do get in.
However, sometimes one has to attend ablutions at night, and camps like Tamboti require one to walk through close bush to reach them.
At night, I have found it both hectically exciting, and a tad nerve-racking!
However, I must admit that I love walking around camps in the night if I cannot sleep, a good torch in one hand, a camera around my neck, socks and shoes on my feet, and a slow tread to make sure I don't stand on anything.
Nothing better for me than finding a bench and listening to the sounds around.
Cannot compare, in my opinion, with anything else in this world!

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next