[ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wildlife in Camps
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:34 pm 

I say a SERVAL :big_eyes: in Mopani exactly a year ago:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:50 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

SATARA has it's fair share of monkeys in the camp now! This one refused to sit still for a photo:

Last edited by TheunsH on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:55 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Monkeys in TAMBOTI. There were many and they were running around with visitors screaming and chasing them away!

Also in TAMBOTI, a Bush Squirrel next to our tent:

Last edited by TheunsH on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:09 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

TheunsH wrote:
We have also seen the Honey Badger but it ran off and I couldn't take a picture. I must say it was a BIG Badger! :shock: :shock:
This sounds like the fisher man story of how big the fish was, that he caught but could not get onto land :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:58 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A friend related this and asked me to post her daughters experience in Skukuza this past Saturday night :
Upon returning on foot to hut 82 at approximately 9 pm after a night drive they saw a leopard inside the camp close to the hut . They were able to follow its movements for a short while in the torch light untill it dissappeared from sight .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

While camping at Berg-en-Dal, at about 04H30 one morning we heard a leopard being caught in a trap inside the camp just near the gate.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

schooms :lol: :wink:

We stayed in Tamboti last week for a couple of nights - and I felt quite safe walking around at night... except one night, at ± 20:30, walking to the ablutions, I had this feeling... (call it my 7th sense (my 6th sense is over developed) 8) )... I heard something following me in the bush... When I stopped, this 'creature' stopped, when I carried on, this 'creature' followed suit... Brrrrr... and at last, I reached the ablutions... and then of course, the return trip. Same thing, I kid you not. What a relief it was when I reached the tent unscathed... (sort of...) :roll: :lol:

And there was a trap next to the fence in camp - but no bait...?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
Isn't it ironic that we chase around for great sightings and some of the best are INSIDE a camp.

Indeed, BB, my thoughts exactly. The resident honey badger (if he's not been caught by now) :| is a magnificent looking animal! :thumbs_up: MM, I hope he stumbles upon your trash bin. :thumbs_up: Keep the camera handy after dusk. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mant, great HB. But, boy, without exaggeration, the one in Tamboti is double in size. :thumbs_up: (Visitors took pics of it - it is longer than a bin on its side!). Njammies!

Micetta, Queen? :roll: :lol: As in Shave the Queen? Image

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The baboons around Lower Sabie are a very grumpy bunch. Just been to LS, and compliments to the powers that be who have installed baboon proof cages around the cupboards and fridges, and wired up the tent flaps :clap:.

We had a good laugh at them - all sitting on the outside of the fence staring with longing eyes into camp. We could just imagine what was going through their minds - how are we going to get the food now? :doh: Anyway, it made our stay so pleasant, knowing that all would be intact when we got back to camp. Thanks LS

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:33 pm 

Hello all,

well recently back from the park and I must share two extrodinary experiences we had at Berg N Dal this last weekend. On Friday night we stayed in Unit 89 and went for a walk just after 9:30pm. Just by the waterhole we saw a white rhino that was drinking. It was nearly full moon so we could see him even without the torches, he was quite far so we continued. On our return we caught up to the rhino who ended up being no more than five metres from us for 30minutes with no one else about. To stand and listen to the magnificent animal was soul satisfying. Eventually he moved over the ridge.

The next night we again went for a walk and at the far end of the dam we found the hippo going for a feeding stroll but as it went over the ridge in front of us it came within several metres of a very nervous white rhino. this stand-off lasted 20minutes with the hippo gently moving and the rhino stomping about and making the "crying" noise at the Hippo. Eventually the hippo went down the valley and the Rhino decided he didnt want a drink and stomped off. Absolutely brilliant.

Also stayed at Biyamiti but just had a heart attack there!

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:38 pm 

Recently back from Punda Maria, the new tents are brilliant. If you sit very quietly at tent number 6 or 7 in the evenings you'll hear a rustling in the grass...

Now scan the area with your torch and two very beautiful genets will be staring up at you. If you really remain quiet late into the evening they will jump up onto the braai to lick the grill, and pose for a photo.

I saw them every night that i was there, i do have some pics but cant figure out how to post them.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Schooms,

Nice sighting at BnD, and without even having to drive to find it! It definitely pays to have a look around camp for game.
We stayed at Skukuza recently (a last minute decision to go one day earlier and hence the only accommodation we could get). Not my favourite by any means, but we had a family of banded mongoose running around raiding dustbins. Very cute little critters. Got up really early the next morning and sat outside enjoying the wild, only to hear a rustle of leaves and saw a civet walking past - probably 5 metres away.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:57 pm 

Elzet it wasnt a actual heart attack but it was dam close. We walked the fence and came around a corner to see a shadow move into the bush. My friend and I decided it was probably our imagination and carried on. As we got to the spot there was a loud movement of leaves and and something shot (at the stage we were unsure which way!). :pray: And I think I jumped about 4metres backwards and think i had a quiet scream....

Turned out to be a bushbuck that had also gotten the fright of his life. :slap: In fact i think my heart rate has just come down. The rest of the walk i didnt even use the torch as my eye's were as round as dinner plates! :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Schooms, I respect all animals... whether I've bumped into them at night or not... :lol: :thumbs_up:

And when hubby introduced me to the Park moons ago, he pointed out the following:

The very sharp horns of the male render the Bushbuck very dangerous when wounded or if cornered. They are tough and tenacious animals. The male will fight bravely and if attacked may even become a dangerous foe. In which case the only way to avoid being mortally wounded is to lie face down, hugging good ole earth. :thumbs_up:

In fact, the Bushbuck Ram is regarded by sports hunters as the most dangerous medium size antelope...

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:18 pm 

Thanx to Micetta and Grannyb i managed to figure out how to post photos :dance:

Here are a few of the genets around tent 6 at Punda.

Last edited by Imberbe on Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image links fixed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next