Skip to Content

Wildlife in Camps

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
TheunsH
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Wildlife in Camps

Unread postby TheunsH » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:50 am

SATARA has it's fair share of monkeys in the camp now! This one refused to sit still for a photo:

Last edited by TheunsH on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheunsH
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby TheunsH » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:55 am

Monkeys in TAMBOTI. There were many and they were running around with visitors screaming and chasing them away!

Also in TAMBOTI, a Bush Squirrel next to our tent:
Last edited by TheunsH on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:58 am

A friend related this and asked me to post her daughters experience in Skukuza this past Saturday night :
Upon returning on foot to hut 82 at approximately 9 pm after a night drive they saw a leopard inside the camp close to the hut . They were able to follow its movements for a short while in the torch light untill it dissappeared from sight .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby GlenD » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:13 pm

While camping at Berg-en-Dal, at about 04H30 one morning we heard a leopard being caught in a trap inside the camp just near the gate.
Berg-en-Dal 28/12/2015 to 29/12/2015
Lower Sabie 29/12/2015 to 03/01/2016

iNkwazi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby iNkwazi » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:16 pm

The baboons around Lower Sabie are a very grumpy bunch. Just been to LS, and compliments to the powers that be who have installed baboon proof cages around the cupboards and fridges, and wired up the tent flaps :clap:.

We had a good laugh at them - all sitting on the outside of the fence staring with longing eyes into camp. We could just imagine what was going through their minds - how are we going to get the food now? :doh: Anyway, it made our stay so pleasant, knowing that all would be intact when we got back to camp. Thanks LS

schooms

Unread postby schooms » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:33 pm

Hello all,

well recently back from the park and I must share two extrodinary experiences we had at Berg N Dal this last weekend. On Friday night we stayed in Unit 89 and went for a walk just after 9:30pm. Just by the waterhole we saw a white rhino that was drinking. It was nearly full moon so we could see him even without the torches, he was quite far so we continued. On our return we caught up to the rhino who ended up being no more than five metres from us for 30minutes with no one else about. To stand and listen to the magnificent animal was soul satisfying. Eventually he moved over the ridge.

The next night we again went for a walk and at the far end of the dam we found the hippo going for a feeding stroll but as it went over the ridge in front of us it came within several metres of a very nervous white rhino. this stand-off lasted 20minutes with the hippo gently moving and the rhino stomping about and making the "crying" noise at the Hippo. Eventually the hippo went down the valley and the Rhino decided he didnt want a drink and stomped off. Absolutely brilliant.

Also stayed at Biyamiti but just had a heart attack there!
An African sunset is the best form of therapy!

DocD

Unread postby DocD » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:38 pm

Recently back from Punda Maria, the new tents are brilliant. If you sit very quietly at tent number 6 or 7 in the evenings you'll hear a rustling in the grass...

Now scan the area with your torch and two very beautiful genets will be staring up at you. If you really remain quiet late into the evening they will jump up onto the braai to lick the grill, and pose for a photo.

I saw them every night that i was there, i do have some pics but cant figure out how to post them.
Sometimes its worth walking around with wet shoes all day, if it means you can jump in the puddle.
2 x Olifants river back packers trails completed

iNkwazi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby iNkwazi » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:54 pm

Schooms,

Nice sighting at BnD, and without even having to drive to find it! It definitely pays to have a look around camp for game.
We stayed at Skukuza recently (a last minute decision to go one day earlier and hence the only accommodation we could get). Not my favourite by any means, but we had a family of banded mongoose running around raiding dustbins. Very cute little critters. Got up really early the next morning and sat outside enjoying the wild, only to hear a rustle of leaves and saw a civet walking past - probably 5 metres away.

schooms

Unread postby schooms » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:57 pm

We walked the fence and came around a corner to see a shadow move into the bush.
My friend and I decided it was probably our imagination and carried on.
As we got to the spot there was a loud movement of leaves and and something shot (at the stage we were unsure which way!). :pray: And I think I jumped about 4metres backwards and think i had a quiet scream....

Turned out to be a bushbuck that had also gotten the fright of his life. :slap: In fact i think my heart rate has just come down. The rest of the walk i didnt even use the torch as my eye's were as round as dinner plates! :big_eyes:
An African sunset is the best form of therapy!

DocD

Unread postby DocD » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:18 pm

Thanx to Micetta and Grannyb i managed to figure out how to post photos :dance:

Here are a few of the genets around tent 6 at Punda.

Last edited by Imberbe on Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image links fixed.
Sometimes its worth walking around with wet shoes all day, if it means you can jump in the puddle.
2 x Olifants river back packers trails completed

michaelpr

Unread postby michaelpr » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:40 pm

I stayed in Tamboti about 2 weeks ago.
One morning at about 8 I went for a walk along the fence when I heard a very strange sound a few 100 metres away. I also heard something that sounded like a snarling cat. I didn't dare go any further...The next day we saw a big troop of baboons. It turned out that the only thing I heard was the "barking" of baboons...but is still was scary!

I saw some cat or dog footprints in Tamboti, I guess it was an African Wild Cat..

We went to Satara twice. The first day we saw a Scops Owl at the parking, and the next day we saw two! Photo's:

ImageLarge
Last edited by Elsa on Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pic resized.

Elzet
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Elzet » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:56 pm

MPR - Stunning pics. We also saw footprints at Tamboti's entrance, but it did not look like an African Wild Cat. It looked much wilder (and bigger)... :shock:
“Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat you right. Forget about those who don’t.” - Harvey MacKay

josey

Unread postby josey » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:56 pm

Were lucky enough to see genet outside our unti at Biyamiti and then also an experience I never thought I would get to see but HONEY BADGER at Satara camp. Also the Scops owl near reception at Satara and a rock monitor at the Lower Sabie Camp.

Here are some pics:

That wasn't our food we gave it. He raided the camp and found someone's braai leftovers in the rubbishbin which he just pushes over. No-one volunteered to take the food away from him:-)

Last edited by josey on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

josey

Unread postby josey » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:36 pm

We were probably about 1.5 to 2m away from them. The one was so busy eating and the other one waiting for a chance to eat that they were not bothered by the whole crowd of onlookers.
You can actually follow them around because you hear the bins being knocked over and the people chasing them away. One woman (a foreigner) was so afraid she went and sat in the car!

Surprisingly it was the 2nd of 3 honey badger sightings this trip!! Our first time ever to see these animals and we see them 3 times :dance: But only did I get photos of the ones in the camp.

roaneric
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby roaneric » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:40 pm

Here's some pics of Shine in Shimuwini camp

Back Again
"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me"

Return to “Kruger National Park”