Wildlife in Camps

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Wildlife in Camps

Unread postby Crested Val » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:44 pm

Bushbucks at Letaba. :thumbs_up:

Thinking of my beloved South Africa every day.

Virtual Potjie Competition for VHR Far School's Project

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby lion queen » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:01 pm

Oh my goodness Ian what a story.................. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
SANParks Online Fans..........Where passion is pride!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Super Mongoose
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Super Mongoose » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:55 pm

I don't know the whole story...My dad was the eldest of 5 children and there family visited the Kruger regular since 1950 something. Not sure why, but he had to sleep outside with a string tied around his toe, that was tied to the meat (no fridges then, just a cool box of some sort) in order to wake up, as plenty hyaenas and leopards were roaming the camps. He said he'd rather stay awake at night and sleep during the day.

Ian, great story, great experience, bet your sissies will go back to Tamboti!
Stop the MADNESS or Imagine RhiNOs!
Our natural heritage is being stolen from us one by one!
Make your voice heard and please support a Rhino Project!

threedogs
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby threedogs » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:05 am

This last 3 week trip in KNP we did night walks about the some of the camps and also put up our camera trap.

Letaba: Giant Eagle Owl, thick tailed Bush Baby family, bushbuck, vervets, rodent of some sort (in mopane tree eating seeds -?), Scops owl; on outside of fence at night with torch - porcupine, waterbuck, small spotted genet.

Punda Maria: inside - Large spotted genet, thick tailed Bush baby, vervets, bushbuck.

Satara: inside - small spotted genet, honey badger, African Wild Cat, vervets, Scops owl; outside - buffalo, hyena.

Lower Sabie: inside - civet, large spotted genet; outside - civet
(heard a leopard 4 or so times a night quite close answered by another further away)

Tamboti: honey badger, large spotted genet, dwarf mongoose; outside - kudu, otters in the large water pools!
NO TO TRADE IN RHINO HORN!

cheetah2111
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby cheetah2111 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:33 am

:big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:
Holy smokes 3D! that is amazing!! :D
Especially porcupine :clap: :clap: :clap:
Kruger 2014!!!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Cape of Storms
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Cape of Storms » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Tamboti night visitors

:P

gabbisa

Unread postby gabbisa » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:16 pm

Hi Ian, What a wonderful experience. We have been to Tamboti a few times and it is wonderful.

You can realy tell a good story.

My sister camped right next to the gate at Maroela once, which you know is next to Tamboti. Most people were out of camp when she noticed a leopard walking towards the gate. They ran and closed the gate. (Not that a closed gate could stop it) but it did change its mind and went off into the bush.

Ian Grant

Unread postby Ian Grant » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi gabbisa,

Thanks for the kind words :)

That's precisely how I assume 'my leopard' got into Tamboti. Both it and Maroela have unmanned gates, and it's only by chances such as your sister's that these situations are avoided. Although, I really don't mind sharing a camp with as many animals as are around, as it adds to the 'wild' experience :)
Letaba 3 to 8 October 2015

Stand Fast

DrPhil

Unread postby DrPhil » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:48 am

Leopards do tent to wander in between tents.
We were camping on a farm north east of Bronkhorstspruit one long weekend and the first night I woke up around 3h30 am from footsteps on the ground sheet under the tent with a perimeter of about 30cm not covered by tent. At first light I went out to investigate and found leopard tracks which was confirmed by a HR camping with us. The next evening he was back again.

I read both of the "Veldwagters vertel" books and there are some amazing stories of rangers and their encounters with big cats. It is definitely worth a read... :thumbs_up:
Not in Kruger.... Busy planning the next trip...

DrPhil

Unread postby DrPhil » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:06 am

I think from the fright of a growling lion all muscles become jelly and as soon as you turn around you will collapse and become dinner.....

The previous Mooiplaas ranger Johan Oelofse told us that he once had a big male lion charge him only to stop less than a meter from him. Spit and dust all over him. He is a huge man with a beard so the lion might have mistaken him for a rival male. :tongue: But even he said he never wanted that to happen to him again.

DrPhil

Unread postby DrPhil » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:50 am

He is also the ranger who got attacked by a leopard in Mopani restcamp only to have his field rangers shoot the leopard ontop of him. :big_eyes:

DASSIEDELIGHT

Unread postby DASSIEDELIGHT » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:05 pm

The added excitement of night time sightings is one of the things that make trips to the park great.

SO and I stayed at Tamboti for the first time a couple of weeks ago. We had heard so much praise for it on the forum that we knew we had to try it. We are also now hooked on it.
We were in tent no. 40 at the very end of the row. During our first night we were awoken by the sound of what sounded like the recycling bins being rattled. We waited until we suddenly heard the sound of 'feet' padding up our tent steps and then we quickly opened the top of the stable door and looked through the mesh door to see our guests - 2 quite big honeybadgers. They must be finding it rather disconcerting now that the locked recycling bins hold the food trash. Of course some people can't be bothered so put it in the plastic bins on their balconies so the HBs probably do find something each night. My SO also spotted them again at first light when they were scooting across the riverbed.

As usual this trip we also saw the Lesser Bushbabies at Berg n Dal and Croc Bridge and their larger cousins at Letaba. We also had a Genet at Shimuwini. At Letaba we perfomed our usual nightime hunt for scorpions in the cracks in the trees. Our only disappointment this trip was the lack of moths and their predators the geckos. We only saw some at Croc Bridge. We think it might have been because of the chilly and windy weather that we had for quite a few days.

Regards,
DASSIEDELIGHT
-------------
TR: PF & DDs Game of patience in KTP - Oct/Nov 2013
--------------

KNP SEPTEMBER 2014
----------------
CAPE TOWN / WCNP / WILDERNESS APRIL 2015
----------------

Bundi

Re: Your success with a torch in the camps at night?

Unread postby Bundi » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:06 am

dhellas wrote:Last April in Satara we had just finished our braai when at about 23:00 an African wild cat came as close as 10 meters curiously looking at us :D

There is an AWC inside Satara campsite. When walking around you will see him a few times per night.

Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Stoffel » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:53 pm

My sightings at our Safari Tent in Punda Maria during May 2012 did not even need a torch. They came to our stoep.

Chris Boucher

Len Loader

Unread postby Len Loader » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:36 pm

A few years ago I witnessed wild dogs cornering an impala at Punda Maris's western fence.

Len

Return to “Kruger National Park”