Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Animals in camps
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
When we are in Tamboti we never use the bin that is situated outside the tent, after cooking we put all our rubbish in a plastic bag and we put it in the bin in the kitchen area close by the ablution block simply for one reason that when the honey badger does come around he does not push our bin over and cause one of us to have heart failure :lol: :lol: and secondly it is very upsetting to see that he is actually becoming a scavenger

LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)

Post subject: Re: Animals in camps
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:54 pm 

A few years ago we had a lovely river view bungalow at Crocodile Bridge. My girls were a lot younger and we all were sharing a 4 bedded unit. While I braai'd my wife visited the bathroom, on her return she informed me that a snake had shedded it's skin in the shower - "get rid of it before your daughters see it or none of us will sleep tonight!". So I ambled into the bungalow and headed for the bathroom. On the ledge up near the thatch the shedded skin was visible - a little out of my reach I used the braai tongs to retrieve the offending item - little did I know the snake had not quite finished shedding itself and was still attached to the bit I had just grabbed - :big_eyes: - The sundowners I had earlier disappeared as quickly as the "70 foot black mamba - thats the type of snake it was and I'm sticking to that story."

I returned to the braai trying to act all cool and tried to gain my composure. "Is it gone?" - "Yes dear I replied".
I spent a nervous sleepless night lying in bed with a torch scanning the thatch above me from time to time....

Letaba 22nd Sep
Mopani 23rd
Satara 24th
Lower Sabie 25,26

Yippeee !!

:lol:

Post subject: Wildlife in the camps
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:02 pm 

Hi, Heading to Kruger from UK in April for the 3rd time. We're staying in Biyamiti, Lower Sabie, Skukuza, Satara, Oliphants and Letaba. I was wondering if there were any recognised spots in these camps where wildlife can be seen reliably....maybe on the way back to the cottage after a night drive? Last year we were inundated with mongoose in Satara around dusk and had a very tame genet visit us after dark in Biyamiti...but what else is there?...I am hoping for honey badger! :-)
Thanks all
Nick

Post subject: Re: Wildlife in the camps
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:31 pm 

the honey badger at Satara seems pretty reliable to me. I see one more often than not on the rare nights that I stay out in kitchen area for a couple of hours after dark.

The bushbabies on and occasionally inside the main store at Skukuza seem to be pretty reliable too.

Post subject: Re: Wildlife in Camps
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:13 pm 

Hi, Saw the Honey Badger at Satara a couple of years ago when it ran past us about 5 o'clock in the morning. Best camp for them is Orpen. Was told a Wild Cat had been seen in the car park at Satara. You should be able to find the resident Skops Owls in the trees by the car park. Last trip in November Large Spotted Genets visited our lodge in Punda Maria and Mopani. Bush Babies are around in most camps after dark. All camps have mongooses and watch out for the snakes. You should see hyenas patrolling most camp fences in the early evening.

Enjoy your trip.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:49 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
In November last year we saw the relatively unwild African wild cat in Satara as we were about to turn into out chalet's parking spot.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:29 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We have often seen African Wild Cats at Satara. Last time, in November 2014, we saw an adult and a juvenile near our braai - they were very relaxed and spent quite some time there.

We have also seen Honey Badgers at Satara and Orpen. One time at Orpen a Honey Badger climbed up on the surface next to the sink and tried to open our car fridge which was plugged in there - it bore the paw marks for some time!

There is usually a lot of interesting bird life in all the camps. I love to just walk around the camps with my binoculars and see what I can spot.

Marakele (Motswere Guest Cottage) 29 Mar -1 Apr 2015

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:29 pm 

Thank you to whoever merged my question with this really interesting existing thread....much appreciated.

So, with a lot of luck it seems like there are all sorts of possibilities in camps, so we'll make sure that we're putting in the hours after dark and prowling each camp with a decent flashlight :) Is it just down to luck, or are there any recognised places (such as the trees around the car park in Satara for scops owl) where sightings are more likely than others? Or do I just need to sit around the braai giving off the smell of food and see what turns up? :) I'm really hoping for honey badger, bush baby and porcupine, with the odd owl thrown in for good measure (is pangolin too much to hope for?? :lol:)! Thanks all.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:14 am 

Hi. We have seen plenty of lesser bushbabies in Croc bridge. Also honey badger and genet at Satara. in 2009 while braaing at Satara a Black stray cat came around. not WILD life but don't know where that came from

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:00 pm 

The only camp we have ever seen H/Badger at was Open camp and only just recently.
Lots of the camps have Genet's and African wild cats at Satara frequently seen.
Busbabies are prolific in Skukuza.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

HB at Orpen and Satara.
AWC Satara
Bush babies Skukuza, croc bridge and Punda Maria.
Genet - berg en dal, Punda maria

KNP June 2015
Mopani, Tamboti, Satara, Skukuza, Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:51 pm 

Scops owl at Satara.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9