Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:41 pm 

Hi mariottisyd, and welcome to the forum!

Sightings really do depend on luck. On a trip to Kruger last month, we saw about an even number of animals on the tar roads and the gravel/dirt ones. The tar roads tended to have a lot more traffic, but our one and only leopard sighting was on one. On some dirt roads we were able to drive for 2 hours at a time without seeing a single car, so we really felt out in the middle of the bush--which was fantastic. Anyway, my advice is to do a mix of dirt and tar roads, and to ask people at your camp if they have any recommendations for good roads nearby. Other people working or staying there will probably know about recent sightings. You can also look at the sightings boards posted at the camps for ideas, although as you can see from reading this thread, there's some debate about how reliable the boards are. Still, they're fun to at least look at!

As for the night drives, we did one at Satara and one at Biyamiti, and both were very good. The really nice thing about the Biyamiti drive was that it was a smaller vehicle (10- instead of 20-seater), we got to stop along the way for sundowners , and the guide, Benjy (sp?), had lots of great commentary. From what I've heard, the night drives can vary quite a bit, depending on the guide you have and the number of animals you see. You might want to look at this thread on drives

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:22 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

In the south you will have more sightings, in the middle (Satara etc) you'll have more cats, and in the north you'll have quiet, but less sightings. So animals only? South.

But... My choice? North.

Do you want to see the big 5? It's possible in the north, just less likely. However the old rule is still valid, @ the right place, @ the right time...

If you want to see a little more though, like spectacular views, superb birding, while not being pestered by tourists and OSV's. Shingwedzi is a super camp, but I would take a few days in Punda as well, and go to Pafuri. Do some birding with Frank (one of the attendants of Pafuri picknik spot), visit Crooks Corner and so on.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:38 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
August 2006 - on the LS - CB road 7 km north of CB.
Dec 2006 - on the S25 about a km past the wild dogs.
If you are anything but a raw rookie timbo, you will know that you cannot order a leopard, they show thenselves when THEY want to. These sightings were in the first hour after opening so don't laze around in bed. Get out there!

Post subject: Where to see?
Unread postPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

First 'overnight' trip to KNP in four years coming up next week, and ... I. CANNOT. WAIT.! We've got Olifants, Letaba (will see if I can catch a last-minute change to another night in Olifants, or Satara), Skukuza, Pretoriuskop (x3).

1. Leopard

The challenge has been laid down to Family Perks... a monetary leopard is on offer for a biological leopard. Heck, I'm feeling generous, two leopard notes for a LIT! My last leopard in KNP was across the Sabie river, between Nkuhlu and LS, walking from one clump of reeds to another, 1997.

Everyone swears blind on the following locations...
- The same grove of trees occupied by the Pel's Fishing Owl pair, at the low level bridge at Balule
- A thick clump of trees +/- 7km south of Satara on the H1
- Marula loop, outside Skukuza
- Along the Sku - LS road

Where do I concentrate my efforts?

2. Wild Dog

The dogs are reputed to favour the south-west, in a triangle formed by P'kop, BnD and Afsaal. But I'm a LS / Central kind of guy, so this is my first trip to that part of the reserve since I was a kid.

I've been told the Voortrekker road, and all the gravel roads around P'kop will almost guaranteed offer up dogs.

My query then... a few years ago there was a big effort to document the dog population, and visitors were urged to send in their photos and data / notes. Is this still applicable, i.e. must I keep pen and paper at hand?[/b]

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:49 am 

Hi Suzz

Tamboti
- The watering hole at Orpen, where the Orpen cam is situated.
-Nsemani dam close to Satara on the H7
-Ngirivane w'hole on the S12/S40 junction.
-Ratel pan on the S39
-Sweni hide on the S37
-Gudzani dam on the S41
- Lugmag dam on the S36

Letaba
-Matambeni hide
-Mingerhout dam on the S47
- Sable hide on the S51
- Shipandani hide on the close to Mopani.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:50 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Wild-doc wrote:
Hi
-Nsemani dam close to Satara on the H7
-Ngirivane w'hole on the S12/S40 junction.

The view from the tar at the Nsemani is far
But on the righthand side past the dam toward orpen you can
park and wait.
But visited by many large animals
Found the Ngirivane w'hole much better for photography.
Much less vehicles and also on spot under a tree
And sweni bird hide is great for birds, crocs etc.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:08 am 

Hi all!

I was there two weeks ago. Though I still believe game spotting is pure luck, I adopted same patience is virtue attitude and saw big five in 1 Day! certainly paid off.

I suggest u try transport dam. I regret I didnt have more time to spend there, as I had to make it to Kruger gate by closing time.
In under an hour, we encountered hyena, the obligatory bucks, crocodile, african fish eagle (famous for providing spectacular photo oppotunities when they swoop down and snatch fish just below the surface) and we just missed a cheetah.

Sunset dam was also buzzing with activity. I could have spent the entire day there.

Good Luck, and all the best.

Post subject: My kind of People!
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:16 pm 
Hello and Welcome Suzz.

You bring tears to my eyes: why waste petrol when you can sit and let the animals come to you!

Bert is absolutely right.

I would like to add a favourite of my own, though, Nwanedzi windmill on the dirt road between Letaba and Phalaborwa.

It is very private and had a bit of shade last time I was there.

Can see some rarer animals (I saw eland).

Just not sure if it hasn't been closed down, though I doubt it. (Check at Letaba.)

Good luck and report back!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:45 pm 

For me.... Sweni Bird hide and the parking area just to the left of the hide. Great for pics!

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:47 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
I would advise you to concentrate in areas around Letaba and Shingwedzi and inbetween. There I have seen the biggest boys. Saw 2 "houses" in the Ratelpan area not too long ago.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:09 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hey there Robmeister!

The best place to see serval would be south. They live near water and since the most water is south, thats the best place to look. They are seen a lot near Lower Sabie.

Caracal is not easy to see in Kruger, but the best place to look is near rocky outcrops.

Wild cat is probably the most commonly seen of the small cats in Kruger. I think the best place to go is on a Letaba night drive or sunset drive. Letaba is the only place I have seen wild cat and I have seen 4 or 5.

Unfortunatly those are the only small cats in Kruger. :cry:

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Post subject: Smaller cats sightings last 3 months
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:08 am 

Hi all

Maybe this will help

Caracal - Regularly seen on Maroela loop area, as well as near Jones dam area.
African Wildcat - Biyamiti Loop, Renoster koppies area
Serval - on top of Matekjane lookout, around the junction H3 and Napi. Also seen on the lower part of Watergat.

Happy hunting

Post subject: Visit
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:27 pm 
Hello and welcome, phez..ie!

You are indeed on the wrong thread, I think! (Don't worry.)

Amande, seeing a black-footed cat in KNP is quite a serious report! Any more details?

(Nice spelling, timbo!)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:55 am 

Hi Richprins

it was 1998 i think - stayed first night in pretoriuskop and did a night drive. Was not too far from the Numbi gate that we saw it - the ranger was ecstatic (we saw an aardvark later too). Apparently there were a lot of probs with mixing with local/domestic cats which was reducing the gene pool (the glowing lights of Hazyview outside brought that into focus) Was about 30 metres away - just sitting staring straight at the spotlight. :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It depends on what you want to see. If you are a birder, Punda and Shingwedzi is a must. If you are into the big five the south and central of the park is good.

When you are there look at the sightings board on a daily basis, it will give you a good idea what was seen and where. Plan your daily trips. You can drive the same road 10 times a day and each time you will see something different.

Have a look at insects and butterfly's and nature, trees flowers ext. Spend time at picnic spots, (speak to the attendants, they will tell you interesting stories.) bird hides, water holes and look out points. You will be surprised what you will see. I can go on and on. The big thing is, plan your trip before hand and decide what you want to do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next