Skukuza 22 May 14 - 31 May 14
Lower Sabie 01 June 14 - 31 June 14

4 sleeps :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:10 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Animals - Lower Sabie ( till now :D )
Birds - Lower Sabie. Different species of trees and the river produces lots of birdspecies

Post subject: Re: Best Camps for Animals
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:20 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
BunduBoi wrote:
Lets get an opinion going here

What is the best camp for game viewing (mammals)?
The best camp for birding?

Depends on what you want to see. I have great sightings of different mammal species all over the Park.

As for birds, the whole Park provides different species. Here again it depends on what you want to see. Punda is very good for birding, but places like Pafuri and Berg-en-dal are awesome too. Pafuri has many rarities to see, because of the limpopo river being a great attraction and beacon to many migratory birds from Moz and Zim and even further north from Eurasia.

Satara is great for raptors. Pkop for several grassland birds and Olifants, Lower Sabie and Letaba for water birds.

I also rate lake panic as one of the best birding spots in the Park!

Tell us what animals and birds more specifically and you'll get the best spots. :wink:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:46 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
BunduBoi wrote:
Thanx WTM,

1. Best place for herbivores
2. Carnivores
3. Raptors
4. Grass Birds
5. Thicket/woodland Birds
6. Best river/hide for spottings in general

1. The plains east of the H10 are good for big herds of zeb and Blue wildebeest.
So was the plains btween afsaal and Pkop in March 2005. They do migrate within the Park so it will be difficult to tell where they are now.
Buff loves the Sabie river areas it seems. There are also plnty in the BnD area and on the Mahonie loop around Punda. Orpen to Satara is also a good place to spot buff.
2. Lower Sabie and Satara. Pkop has also been very good to me in this sense. Letaba I rate as excellent leopard country. Skukuza is also good for leopard.
The Ngotso dam was always great for lion and cheetah.
3. Satara is probably the best. The H10 is also good.
4. Pkop and Orpen Satara road.
5. Punda Maria, BnD and even Shingwedzi.
6. Lake Panic, by a long shot like I said before. Rivers? All rivers that contains water are good for birding. More so for storks when the levels are lower. Sunset dam is great for water birding.

You can even break it down into animals. I.e where is the best place to find leopard or saddle-billed stork.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:43 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
gwendolen wrote:
wildtuinman wrote:
gwendolen wrote:
@WTM: Can you tell me some more about birding at Berg-en-Dal?

What exactly do you want to know, Gwennie?

I would like to know why you think it's awesome. (I'm still doing research and trying to decide on 2 camps for dec 2006, B&D is on the list)

Gwennie,

BnD's Matjulu dam is a great place to look for waterbirds. On a quick search you will be likely to find black crake, african jacana, green-backed heron, three-banded plovers and many other waders which I realy found difficult to id. There are also sometimes up to 4 different kingfishers to be seen. Brown-hooded and Striped although not actual fishers, but insect eaters are fairly common. As bert mentioned, the resident fisheagles are always around. It is also one place to see the 747, although I have not been so priviledged.

Kurrichane thrush, white-bellied sunbird, Collared Sunbird(especially near the kiddies jungle gym) and Natal francolin frequents the camp together with some woodpeckers like the cardinal.

On the Matjulu loop you might be lucky to see Verreaux eagle. Last summer an Elanora falcon was around, and who knows it might return this year. Also the rare Orange-winged Pytilia was seen at the dam last summer.

Brown-headed parots are fairly common and so is Black-crowned and Brown-crowned Tchagras. Just east of BnD and Malelane was the only place where I have ever seen Senegal Lapwing. Gabar Goshawk and Augur Buzzard also seems to favour the area.

Also in summer, Red-backed Shrike and Lesser Grey Shrike are common around BnD.

On the nightdrives, you are likely to find in summer Square-tailed nightjar, spotted-eagle owl and fiery-necked nightjar.

Red-billed firefinches are always present and also look out for the green-backed camaroptera in the thich entangling bushes. If there where rain, make sure to visit the Gardenia birdhide too.

BnD to me is truely a great birding spot!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:22 am 

francoisd wrote:
WTM left out White-fronted bee-eaters (don't have map with me as you leave camp, turn right on dirt road, keep on this road until it ends at an old sement waterhole), Green bul, Red-capped Robin-Chat (Natal Robin), (African) White-throated Robin-chat (Robin)

It is Matjulu. We also saw lots of birds there as well as some White-winged Widowbirds.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I formerly mentioned on this forum about my record-keeping of mammals in Kruger since 1987. This is only personal records and definitely of no scientific or real statistycal importance. Many people will have had other experiences of certain areas than I had. Take the S100 for instance - I never have been particularly lucky on that road, but other people regard it as their favourite road because of regular incredible sightings. I nevertheless want to share some personal observations with those of you who are interested. I will not commend on mammal species which I have rarely seen up till now (e.g. dassie, eland, Sharpe's Grysbok, honey badger, common reedbuck, caracal, serval, African wild cat and side-striped jackal). I have seen all of the latter in the park, but only on one or two occasions and therefore cannot comment on good areas to find them. I also do not report on Punda Maria as I have not explored the area yet (hope to do so during May 2006).

I travelled more than 9 200 km in the park since 1987. Mammals seen are tried to be counted as accurately as possible. To portray my personal experience regarding population density of game species per area, I express my figures as number of a specific kind of mammal per km travelled. Based on my personal observations, I can recommend the undermentioned camps for different game species. I only refer to main camps as I believe this is the camps most frequently used by members of this forum. I only mention a camp (next to the various species) if the density for the specific mammal is 50+% higher in the concerned area when compared to the average for the park. The best camp is always mentioned first, followed by order of merit:

ELEPHANT: Letaba; Olifants; Berg-en-Dal
WHITE RHINO: Crocodile Bridge; Berg-en-Dal; Lower Sabie
LION: Satara; Lower Sabie; Crocodile Bridge
LEOPARD: Orpen; Olifants
CHEETAH: Skukuza; Pretoriuskop; Crocodile Bridge
WILD DOG: Berg-en-Dal
SPOTTED HYAENA: Olifants; Satara; Letaba
HIPPO: Lower Sabie; Olifants; Letaba; Crocodile Bridge
GIRAFFE: Orpen; Satara
BUFFALO: Shingwedzi; Mopani; Orpen; Crocodile Bridge; Satara
ZEBRA: Satara; Lower Sabie; Crocodile Bridge
BLUE WILDEBEEST: Satara; Orpen
KUDU: Crocodile Bridge; Lower Sabie
NYALA: Shingwedzi; Lower Sabie; Skukuza
SABLE: Satara; Skukuza
TSESSEBE: Mopani; Letaba; Lower Sabie
WATERBUCK: Pretoriuskop; Satara; Orpen
BUSHBUCK: Lower Sabie; Skukuza
IMPALA: Crocodile Bridge; Orpen; Lower Sabie
DUIKER: Lower Sabie; Skukuza; Crocodile Bridge
KLIPSPRINGER: Berg-en-Dal; Shingwedzi; Skukuza
STEENBOK: Orpen; Skukuza
WARTHOG: Orpen; Crocodile Bridge; Lower Sabie
BLACK-BACKED JACKAL: Orpen; Mopani; Olifants
BABOON: Olifants
VERVET MONKEY: Shingwedzi; Lower Sabie; Skukuza; Crocodile Bridge
BANDED MONGOOSE: Skukuza
SLENDER MONGOOSE: Pretoriuskop; Crocodile Bridge; Lower Sabie; Skukuza; Berg-en-Dal
DWARF MONGOOSE: Crocodile Bridge; Lower Sabie; Orpen
SQUIRREL: Orpen; Shingwedzi; Olifants

I hope this information can assist people who do not know the park. But (and a very big 'but'), you may have a total different experience of certain areas than I had. As Wildtuinman always says: "Being at the right place at the right time".

However, if I only had a week to visit the park, and I want to see as much mammal species as possible, I will stay in the following camps:

Berg-en-Dal
Lower Sabie
Skukuza
Satara
Olifants

With a bit of luck on your side, you should probably have the change to tick off all the above-mentioned mammals.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:43 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wildtuinman says: Being @ the right place @ the right time. And I absolutely believe in this saying. Remember, my observations are just personal observations. Yes, I have seen leopard on the H4-1 between Skukuza and Nkuhlu before I started keeping record of sightings, but not a single one since 1987 on that road.

My observations tells me that the Vervoer Dam area, the H5/S102 towards Mpondo Dam and the H1-2 between Olifantsdrinkgat and Silolweni Dam is good areas for cheetah. I include all mentioned areas into the "Skukuza region".

My real hot spot for leopard are the H7 between the two respective S106 junctions.

But I accept - other people will have other experiences.[/code]

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Maybe I should do that road more often. But I normally avoid the very popular roads (especially the H4-1 or also known as the Piccadilly Highway). It seems this attitude of mine prevents me from good sightings, but I much rather prefer the more quite roads (referring to traffic). For this very reason I give preference to the smaller camps too and like to do the gravel roads. My aim is to travel every single road in the park at least three times. Therefore, when in Skukuza (with it wide choice of roads), I still have quite a few to do for the second and third time.

But fortunately everybody have their own preferences. Imagine what the Piccadilly Highway would be if all people opt for leopard sightings on it every day.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:40 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

bucky wrote:
Id say my most sightings are in 3 spots .

The orpen to satara road , on the side closer to orpen .
On the tar road from lower sabie to tshokwane , on the side closer to lower sabie .
But lately areas around mopani seem to have been kind to me , and I have had a few good sightings on the tar road north and south of the camp .

the first two spots you mentioned are imho cheetah hotspots! While in the park last november I met A&C and he had 3 cheetah sightings (1 lasted about an hour) on the Orpen-Satara road close to Orpen. He also saw Cheetah a little bit north of Lower Sabie. On that last spot Katyfromdownunder also saw cheetah a few days earlier and the H10 north of LS was extremely kind to myself as well :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

To me Satara and south have been my best spots for Cheetah.
Many years ago I was friend with a Kruger ranger (David Zeller).
He was based at Skukuza and he told us that when there are Cheetah close to the road as much as 70% of people drive right past them without seeing them. Just like leopards these guys blend in so well it is very hard to se them.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:26 am 

Saw these 3 cheetahs last August on an early morning drive from Lower Sabie. I believe we were on the S29 (the "Muntshe Detour"--sound familiar? I can't find my more detailed map). These cheetahs were probably the #1 highlight of my trip.

Freda--I love the picture you took of the cheetah on the sign. I saw that before I visited KNP, and drove by each sign very slowly, hoping to see a cheetah on or around one of them.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:57 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

cougar wrote:
I believe we were on the S29 (the "Muntshe Detour"--sound familiar?

Hi cougar. I think the Muntshe Loop is the S122, but it's off the S29 (Mlondozi Road) you mentioned. :)

You were lucky to see all three cheetah so out in the open. I never would have expected to see them lying down in veld as recently burnt as it looks in your pic. Burnt areas have never been good to me as far as the big cats go. :?

Post subject: Re: Best camps to see Cheetah and Wild dog?
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi the best camps for wilddog sightings are skukuza and berg en dal, stay arounf afsaal and you'll have a great chance of seeing them. Satara an orpen and the best camps to stay for viewing cheetha. Been in kruger 10 times now, and it is still facinating!!

Monne

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next