Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: To Camp or Not to Camp?! Whats your vote...
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:08 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Maddie, if you read any of my camping stories (there are a few), my tent tends to fly away :lol: :lol: even the one time I went with Freda. I don't always remember the pegs (and Freda doesn't always believe in pegs).. and sometimes I loose the poles :redface: :redface:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:09 am 

Maddie88, I'll bring my yellow ribbon with! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:13 am 

Maddie88, 80% of our camping trips we kind of meet eye to eye with Red Romans.... and when the light is on it kind of like our shadow, wonder why.... :huh: , but they are quite cool. (please don't kill them :naughty: )

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:21 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Here is the link to my camping report

While I do enjoy the luxury of chalets, I much prefer camping with my caravan. I have everything I need - and more - easily available. Whenever possible I get close to the fence - you can't do that with a chalet!

And at last I have a tent too that I feel comfortable with - big enough to be roomy and stand up in, easy enough to set up on my own, and rainproof too. So when I cannot use the caravan (it is being serviced, too far to tow, etc) I can still enjoy the advantages of camping.

I confess to preferring sites with electricity, but can cope without.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:30 am 

Meandering Mouse - I remeber my brother had a tent when I was only little, and we loved camping in the back yard (we lived in Ellisras) and I loved it, coz the tiolet was near and my bed for when I get fed up... hehehehe, yet, the one night his tent got lifted off the ground, pegs and poles and the works and taken over the wall in the back yard into the bush, to never bee seen again, hehehehe!

Droopy - You must not forget your ribbon! This year will be my first year going to Kruger as a Yellow Ribbon, So exciting!!! :dance: As for those Red Roman things, I have seen them once or twice, and man, are they ugly!! I don't like the look of them. I promise I won't kill them, as long as it does not follow me...

EJ - That link does not seem to be working!! :cry: I would love to read it, I have read your TT on Needed a fix... , you are very lucky one when it somes to game viewing! Please try and post your link again??

Happyness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of travelling...

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:45 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

camp report - 2nd try! Hope it works this time - if not, go to Kruger camps and roads topic and find it under there.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:56 pm 

My main objection to camping is the hassle in getting it all set up and taken down again. So if your brother is prepared to do all that for you while you sit in a chair with a cold one and watch him, then go for it. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:05 pm 

Why not compromise. At least convince your friends to stay in a Safari Tent. You still have the same experience without the discomfort. The safari tents nowadays are very comfortable and some even have the WC and shower inside.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:54 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Maddie - great thread

The Ruskys love camping and if we lived in Sth Africa (=had all our gear in Africa) we'd camp for sure. We'd possible have more nights at each location - minimum 4 - as I wouldn't want to waste heaps of time packing and unpacking.

BTW Camping to us means tents - not caravans/campertrailers.

The thought of just having a canvas tent between me and the camp hyena....gives me goosebumps. :lol:

Why don't you do a camping weekend with your brother here in Aus (PS try the area around Margaret River) and see how it pans out.

All the best

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Why don't you do a camping weekend with your brother here in Aus (PS try the area around Margaret River) and see how it pans out.

Or even more adventurous - take a trip up to the Karajini National Park and camp there. The camp sites are fairly basic but the gorges etc are beautiful to walk around. IF you can set up a decent camp site there then you could camp anywhere.

Rusky, I agree with you - camping is tents not caravans IMO. Going out on conservation hunts I sling the tent in the back of the bakkie and set myself up wherever we are :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:19 am 

Ok, I'm so ready for camping nhow it's not even funny anymore! Thanks all!!

Saraf - I have to agree with you, but on the other hand, my brother better put everything up for me as I will be the one docking up the cash for his visit to the park! I'll be sitting in the sun watching the bush and supervising the campsite with a nice glass of wine in the one hand! :D

Noamirsa - I love the Safari Tents, they are great! I've stayed in them once or twice before, but my brother reckons they are to commercial. I even suggested that the boys camp and do the bush thing, the girls will find the Safari Tents/Bungalows very comfortable and the boys can come and sneak in should it get too cold, but he won't budge!! He wants to "toughen me up" as he call it.... :roll:

Rusky - Funny story!! Last year easter weekend a Danish friend and I decided to go down to Albany for the weekend and I couldn't find accomodation ANYWHERE apart from camping sites! So, what did I do, I went to BCF and bought a massive tent, heaps of lights, a blow up matress the works! It was a good weekend, but the camping just didn't work for me! It rained (as it always does in Albany) and it got so messy.... Yet, it was one of the best weekends I've had in Australia! :tongue: If you know what I mean... hehehe

Camping to me means you have a canvas tent, a few fold up chairs and not much light. No toilets at hand and no radio, tv or any luxuries. So, caravans don't count, but I don't camp so it would be lovely in a camper van. I asked around a bit, and they won't rent us one because we are not over 26!! :big_eyes: So, there I go. Shot down! hehehe

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:44 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Maddie, get a list from your brother of what he has and let's start putting a list together of what you might need. I am happy to help you out with a tent and some chairs.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:26 am 

Meandering Mouse, you are amazing! Thank you! Today, for the first time, I understand why it's so great to be a forum members. It's like a small (or big) family here and everyone is willing to help each other out, THANK YOU SO MUCH TO EVERYONE!

I will talk again with the sibling and find out what he has decided... Get back to you as soon as I can.

EJ - Just had a look at your report on the camping sites ect. It looks great! Wow! So nice, in the bush yet safe, GO WILD CHILD! :D Thank you!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:11 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

To me camping is creating your own little house and environment and spending a bit longer tailoring it to suite your needs , in bungalows and safari tents I feel I am intruding on someone elses sanctuary . For me it feels more of a homely environment to camp , and besides that , I tend to stay a while longer in the camp because it takes a while to set up and pack up . Camping seems more peacefull and you are closer to the wilds but again I camp only in the rustic camps or in other camps in the very quiet season .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Last edited by ndloti on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:12 am 

Hi Maddie,

Anyone can be uncomfortable when camping, so the trick is to make it as pleasant as possible.

To wit... 1. when you get to SA go into Game and buy yourself from proper pillows, for a start (no jumpers rolled up or thin camping pillows).

2. Have a decent sized tent. As you live in Oz you could do what I've just suggested to TW elsewhere in another thread, and go shopping for your tent in Oz - Austrlaian nylon tents are better made and better value than the equivalent in SA (I should know, I live in one for six months of each year in southern Africa). Splurge and buy a tent that's big enough to stand up in - no crawling in and out. If it says it's a four-person tent then it's actually big enough for 2.

3. Get the best mattress you can. Blow up mattresses are OK until they go flat. Even if you don't go for a camper van think of getting a foam mattress you can foll or fold. There are good ones available in Outdoor Warehouse.

cheers

tony

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next