Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Snakes Yes/No
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

In my 25 years of life I've seen three snakes up close all outside of camp.
The latest being a twig snake in the road baking up in the winter sun on the road between Tamboti and Satara. It was small but he was only interested in laying in the sun warming up.

The other was a full grown twig snake up in a tree waiting for it's prey, I spotted it not knowing it was a snake on a drive...

Then this year February at Tamboti we quickly drove to Orpen for some ice and a massive black mamba sliddered across the road, it look like he just eaten something but he was stopping cars in their tracks... :mrgreen:

The rest of time in summer snakes tend to skid across the road very quickly...summer in the Lowveld is snake season

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:48 am 

Yes. They are there. (the snakes that is).

When we stopped at Punda Maria several years ago, I got out of my car to have a look at the site we planned to set up camp on and almost stood on a puff adder.

I was also warned to be very careful when swimming at night at Shingwedzi as snakes often fall into the pool.

Plenty snakes in the parks, but if you are careful, they are not a threat.

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:16 am 
Guru
Guru

:D Good morning,

There are lots of snakes in the Park, but not too worry about because all of them are mainly nocturnal. The times you might find them crossing the roads in day time it might be a sign that the rain is possibly on its way.

My advice is not to walk in the dark without a torch and please out of my personal experience DO NOT TOUCH OR PICK UP snakes. It is not necessary to start screaming or get excited when you see a snake, give it space and it will disappear into the opposite direction. Easy to say if you not scared of snakes :lol:

If you are lucky to find a snake in the bungalows, just report it to reception and if it is in BnD and I am around, it will be me that will arrive shortly. :lol:

Please killing it, is the last option, it is their home and we are the intruders so they need our cooperation too to conserve the species that is helping us to minimise the rodent, amphibian, insect and bird numbers. :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:51 pm 

I just love snakes, but after reading all your comments on snakes in the park i might become phobic myself.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I agree with LOURENS. Killing them is not an option for me.

I have been very fortunate seeing a fearely good amount of them including a python killing an impala and the whole proces of swollowing it in the middle of the road. and it all was to myself so yeah :dance: . But hey i dont know what il do when finding one in my tent of chalet :shock: !!

The currents that shape our lives, flow from the attitudes we nurture everyday!

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:42 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi there :D

I would like to add: Listen to Lourens, he knows what he is talking about :wink: Long time no see Lourens :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:14 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:clap: Lourens. Haven't seen nearly enough snakes in KNP yet. The Python/lapwing interaction on the S47 and another python a day later near Shingwedzi om the H1-6 the only.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:01 pm 
Guru
Guru

:D Good morning,

Yeah then it is time to book a Sunset or Night Drive to hopefully see those scary Reptiles. I had 2 sightings of a Boomslang 2 nights ago.

Bye for now... :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:24 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Just another slant on the snakes issue.

Don't park close to snakes to get a good look. They sometimes disappear into the undercarriage of your car, and then you have a real problem...

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:41 pm 

Watching 'Caught on safari live' right now and the guy is holding a boomslang in Kruger in the dark :big_eyes: . They have said that in a year there are only 2 thousand snake bites in all SA . One thousand come from puff adders and the rest mainly from mozzie spitting cobra, stiletto snakes and others. They have showed several different Kruger snakes this afternoon but I'm getting a bit worried about the presenter in the open toe sandals as it gets dark :pray:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:03 pm 

Hallo to all...

I am new to this forum but have been going since birth... many moons ago.... Seen many a snake... and moved on...

Lourens, I read your reports and well done on all the rewards.. our paths will soon cross.... I wish you were there in 2000...

My story dates back to the Milenium New Years... BIG family gathering in BnD.... We were busy getting ready for a bush breakfast.... My brother in law ( a very metro sexual young man ) quickly went to the loo... Now we all know how dark and small that space was before the renuvation....

Then, the call.... DAD, DAD, DAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We all ran there for the rescue.... how he got out... pants down to the knees... we still can not figure out... but yeah as he sat down for business... Mr. Mamba said hello next to him... we all grew up in the Lowveld so we know our snakes....

We duely called out the rangers, who nonchalantly killed our friend with a brick... nearly 2m of our visitor... we were completely shocked in sooo many ways, and could not understand this....

But yeah, snakes they are there... never, never, never put your bags on the ground, as they love to ride to different areas... which will ultimately be revealed at your house....

Greetings,
Zorro

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:16 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Quote:
We duely called out the rangers, who nonchalantly killed our friend with a brick...

:big_eyes: :evil:
This is un-thinkable.... :cry:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:12 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
A few years ago a guy told me he brought a snake home from Kruger in a pillowcase. Found it a day or so later......

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:06 pm 

Hi Again....

Mmmmm, they do love to travel... We regularly invite new born Kruger guys and girls to see what we are on about... One of my wheelchair friends didn't listen to the advise of not to put your bags etc on the ground.... Love and behold.... she stays on the 6th floor of a Pretoria building... 3 days..... who arrives in the TV room..... beautiful baby mamba..... 40cm.... Unfortunately we could not release the baby, as it was just to risky... so a very dirty deed was done.... I was not present, and could maybe have caught the bugger in a jar..... but for Pretorianitesm they just had to kill the baby.... A trick that I taught myself, but it does work... is to spray the snake with little amount of Doom... it seems to blind them temporaly, and then you have the chance to get hold of it, and the ultimate release again.....

Where I stay, we see our fair amount, but normally babies.... had a "likkewaan" adult as well.... but the Doom does give you the opportunity to secure a "safe" catch.....

Yeah, just never ever let your things lie around... they are normally to scared to do anything, but they LOVE hiding....

I wonder if your mate with the pillowcase slept on it... nice and warm spot though....

Greetings,
Zorro

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:36 pm 

I've been quite fortunate in seeing snakes on a number of occasions in the park, the highlight being black mambas on two occasions. One of these was a few meters long, and when standing upright his head was in line with my windscreen!

I've NEVER seen a snake in a camp or on a walk which is probably a good thing given that my wife has a huge snake phobia!

Seeing a snake in Kruger is a blessing.
Stepping on snake is probably not...

regards
Malcolm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next