Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Most scariest experience in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I may have an interesting and scary story that involves me but for the wrong reasons.... :evil: :lol:

In 1996, when I was about 14, we were camping in Letaba in one of the safari tents with the creosote poles as perimeter fences. Why is this important because that day it was overcast and drizzeling and my brothers and I thought it was very clever balancing on the slippery poles with our slops..... well we learn from our mistakes right! :wall: All I remeber was slipping and falling and hitting the earth rather forcefully. Hmmm something wasn't ok when I got my breath back. Looking over to my right my arm looked all mangled and funny. Well it was broken and had formed a nice Z shape..... :big_eyes:

Long story short. My Dad arranged permission to take me to Palaborwa hospital and raced me there. After getting a cast and being drugged and sleeping in a Hospital bed, my Dads adventure only really started as he had permission to return late to camp.

He says that around 9 pm he came across a few lionesses walking in the road and figuring this is a very good game drive he drove up to them. Well seems at night Lions lose their fear of people... :whistle:
Basically looking a female Lioness in the eyes with only window glass between you definately left a mark on my Dad and he says he felt very isolated and a little scared in that moment.
Later that night he also incountered a rouge ele on the Road towards camp and had another close call....
Quite the `night drive` at my expense! :big_eyes: :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:50 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
:big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

broken arms are also not nice.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:17 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Yes Kruger is a very different place in the dark!!! :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:11 pm 

This was such an interesting thread!

i think the elles definitely lead the top list, as we too have had similar experiences with them.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:23 am 

Scariest moment was leaving the park in July 2007, not knowing when I would ever get a chance to return!

Thankfully, six years hence, and I'll be there soon...... :D :D :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:37 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

March 2013 Tamboti Camp. Recently opened after the flood water damage to the fence. We got tent number 40. :thumbs_up: It was at the very edge of the camp.
We decide to sit on the deck overlooking the river and watch darkness setting in. We where visited by Honey Badgers, a Water Mongoose and Large-Spotted Genet and it was the first time I’ve ever seen any of them. :dance:
There was a few buffaloes hanging around in the river bed and later we heard them grazing in the bushes not far from the fence, very close to the tent….After midnight we heard lions in the distance
True to form the badgers gave us a huge fright with their return visit :redface:
Later that night all hell broke loose, growls, the sounds of herd in distress…Lions :shock: This ensued for quite a few hours
The lions ambushed the buffalo and chased them out of the riverbed right past the fence edge.
The next morning we saw the pride close to the Tamboti entrance road, with their successful kill
(We saw them there every day for four days)
What was scary about this? Having a pride of verbal lions up and down that stretch of field between the road and river bed so close to the fence, every single night from midnight onwards....
Needless to say, we didn’t get much sleep in those four nights, but it was all worth it

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:42 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
RemiE scary but sooooo exciting :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:37 pm 

Coming up over a blind hill to be greeted by a bull elle. He didn't seem too concerned but we moved to back and give him some more space but when I looked in our rear view mirror there was a family of elles crossing behind us. Very slowly....
We were basically boxed in for 5 mins with the whole Elle family and extended cousins pressing around our car.
Elles was super calm and the youngster were in playful but I was terrified beyond words. All I could think about were the Chinese tourists from a few months ago... Everything went and ended well, my hubby had the camera out and rolling as we had just witness some young antelope jousting I’ll have to upload it when I’ve got a free moment.
Wonderful experience but I had never been more terrified in my life, this was also the third day we had ever been in a National Park in SA.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:23 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@RemiE, I could think of nothing better !
Lions roaring at night :mrgreen:

@sroy, elephants are good for exercising the heart now and again :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:46 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
It was not scary at the time but as we thought about what happened it did become scary :shock: :shock: , July 2012, we (3 of us) were staying at Tamboti and we had booked an early morning drive (5.30am) and the date happened to be Friday 13th :twisted: , we woke up early, it was freezing, we went to the assembly point and we were the only ones booked for the drive, we heard the truck approaching, he stopped at the gates to Tamboti which were locked, he got out of the truck to open them, he drove through, he then had to get out the truck again to close the gates behind him, he picked us up, we drove to the gates, he stopped the truck to get out to open the gates, we drove through and then he stopped again, got out the truck to close the gates behind us, he had just closed the gates and was maybe 4 steps away from getting back into the truck when my hubby spotted some eyes in the grass (right next to where the driver was about to walk to get back into the truck), as the driver was almost in the truck my hubby told him that there was a leopard in the grass and he had just walked right past it. We were thrilled but the more we thought about what could have happened the more scary it became .........................................................,that is why we love the Kruger so much, you never know what is going to happen next :whistle: :whistle:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:39 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Could have been a real nasty situation, but as it happens I would have to say: Wha a great start to your game drive :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:38 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Tent dweller, I couldn't agree more. :thumbs_up:

SRoy and Remi, thanks for your tales.

I must say I am a bit :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: about the lions. The sound of a kill can be very chilling though.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:08 am 

Ok, I know it says in the Kruger, but this happened in KTP. :D Thought you guys may enjoy this one nevertheless. It was 2007, June, and we were 5 families doing the Mabuasehube Wilderness Trail for four days. For those not familiar with the trail, it is in the Botswana part of the park, where you can get out of your vehicle anywhere, and where there is at most places only a sign on a tree saying campsite. There is no fences, no water, no nothing. Just how I like it. :clap:

So day 4, the last night, one of the vehicles started to give problems and we decided that we will go beyond the campsite and try and push for Nossob to get assistance with the vehicle. :redface: :naughty: :evil: :hmz: However, the sun was in a bit of a hurry and nightfall came quicker than anticipated. Note my father always drive in the back, and being born in the Kalahari, he drives slow to admire the surroundings, and always arrive 30min later than anyone else. So when we turned the corner, there was everyone packing off and pitching tents, right between two dunes. Now my father told them it is dangerous as you don’t know what is behind the dune, however, everyone just said it would be fine. :wall:

We pitched the tents, making fire; some ladies went to shower in the pitch tent showers, everyone busy with their own thing, when some of us decided to go have a sun downer on the one dune, watching the last bit of sunset. :thumbs_up: :whistle: We just sat there chilling, and after that the one lady decided to stay behind as nature were calling. Luckily there was a small bush on the dune and she went there to answer nature with nr 1. When she came down, to the car, about 15m from the bush, she looked around to see whether someone can see her. No, no one could see her, but someone was looking at her, the big yellow eyes of a lioness, sitting on her nr1 spot.
She slowly went around the car and said calmly that there is a lion on the dune.

Having made this “joke” several times, no one believed her, and then she grabbed her father’s shoulders, and started to scream at him. That moment all of us saw the lion, and started to get onto the roofs of the vehicles, inside the tents and where ever possible. :big_eyes: :pray: :wall: Some of the ladies in the showers just grabbed a towel and stood half naked on the roof of the cars. Then the lioness started to move down the dune, and were joined by her Gal-Pal. Two Lions!!!! They came down right between the cars, sniffing, wondering what we were and what we are doing there. Real investigators. Now being on top of a vehicle with nothing between you and a lioness less than 2 meters away is a bit scary. :cam: :pray: Luckily they seemed only interested in what we are, than hungry. They walked around for about an hour and a half, all of us frozen with fear, when they decided that we were boring and moved on away over the dune again. We started to slowly get of the vehicles, making a circle with the cars and the tents for some safety. By now it was dark, and everyone was holding a torch, a spotlight or anything in order to see if the lions are coming back.

Now for the funny part. When the lions came down originally, my father took our last meat (which was dinner that night) and threw it into the first “thing” he could find, in order to keep it away from the lions. After the lions left, he just couldn’t find it again. So my mother kept on saying he must relax and have something to drink and he will remember. After about 45min, he decided that hungry for one night is not that bad, and went to get a whiskey. And there in the ammo case where the whiskey, he found the meat. If only he listened to my mother earlier. :dance: :naughty:

We heard the lions the whole night; luckily they didn’t come and visit again. WE saw them the next morning again just after packing up. Didn’t even stop, just wanted to get out of there. Everyone was a bit shaken up, I loved it!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:16 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
JohanEngels, what an experience :shock: :shock: :shock: , would have loved to be there :hmz: :hmz:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@ tent dweller. That must have been a once in a life time experience. Thankfully all end well. Never a dull moment at Tamboti :dance:

@sroy. Boxed in between those gentle giants can sometimes be nerve wrecking . Fortunately you've been boxed in by other Ellies.....I hate it when vehicles box me in at Ellie sighting :naughty:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next