SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Most scariest experience in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:39 pm 

Definitely a scary experience Johan! :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:39 am 

A few years back, near Bateleur Camp, we went on the sunset game drive with the ranger/ camp manager "Marc".

He stopped at a fire break after a while and we could get out to enjoy our drinks. After about five min he told us all to keep very still. All of a sudden we were surrounded by about 26 wilddogs (including pups). They came as close to about two meters from us. Some of them ran to the otherside of the vehicle and killed an impala. The one female stood infront of us and started growling.

After this Marc told us to slowly move backward and get on the truck, which we did. From there we watched them feed

I have this all on video - THIS WAS VERY SCARY & EXCITING!

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:58 am 

Wow!!!!

you're right, I can imagine that it was scary, but shure it must be a very exciting videofootage!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
gabbisa, wow! !!!!!!! what an experience :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:40 pm 

tent dweller wrote:
gabbisa, wow! !!!!!!! what an experience :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I agree !! Looking forward to having some good experiences . 6 days to go

Moose1

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:02 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
Gabbisa pleasse please please share the video with us :pray:

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:39 pm 

I wish I could but i am dont know how. It is still on small video tapes?

I am planning to put them all on disc. Then maybe someone will be able to help me!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:18 pm 
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
When you have them on discs or your computer then gooi me a pm and I will help you load it on the forum :thumbs_up:
Once in a lifetime experience and something that will have me very scared and excited at the same moment :D

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:39 pm 

One night at Satara camp, we were walking along the fence by the restaurant, was around midnight, and we stopped switched off the torches and were enjoying the night sounds etc, when suddenly my good friend jumped and ran away from the fence, leaving me there. When I switched the torch on I discovered a hyena standing at the fence :big_eyes: . what had happened was my friend was leaning against the fence when the hyena came up and smelt him, he got such a fright and ran away leaving me there.

Another incident happened when I was about 9 years old, on the tar road towards Oliphant's from Letaba, we came around a bend and straight into a angry bull elephant :sup: that proceeded to charge us for 45 minutes until one of the big tour busses was able to block him off until he decided to walk into the bushes. Caused me to be very wary of elephants and to always give them their respect.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:34 pm 

Hi All,

Often seen hyenas patrolling the camp fences and it is part of their nightly routine.

At Berg-en-Dall there are signs along the fence saying not to walk along the path at night. Has there been some incident in the past - not seen similar signs at any other camp.

Anyone know why these signs were put up.

Bondm

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:40 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I think the main reason for not walking the path at night is the risk of snakes! And yes, if there is an animal near the fence - like an elephant - you may upset them with your torch before you see them and have a nasty experience.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:45 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have always thought that a leopard could easily pounce from one of the trees down on to someone on the path!

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:48 am 

ecojunkie wrote:
I think the main reason for not walking the path at night is the risk of snakes! And yes, if there is an animal near the fence - like an elephant - you may upset them with your torch before you see them and have a nasty experience.

This is so true. :? Stay away from fences even in the day time.

I was walking around the camp alone at Bateleur lunch time, hot as anything and decided to tip toe into the hide over the water hole. There to my amazement was a huge elephant he was just enormous rotund and fat, big in all proportions. The hide is very close but at an elevation still you feel quite vulnerable, and of course privileged tingling with excitement.

This elephant was remarkable in that the lower maybe one quarter of its trunk was missing, all healed up (maybe a snare or lion something when he was a baby) he was in wonderful condition though, tip top.

Anyway he had a good drink by lowering himself down then eventually ambled off.

So did I and as I was leaving the hide steps I notice a well worn path up to the left along the fence. It was slightly more elevated than the hide even so I though fantastic I can watch the elephant as he leaves over the bush tops. The fence corner in fact. So I scrambled up the short bank and as I lifted my head the fence corner in front of my nose there was the elephant right in front of me. Literally on the other side of the fence like a nose hair away. He had scrambled up the bank his side and was moving down the side of the fence I couldn't see thats what he had done because of the thick bushes.

We both got such a fright, he screamed something terrible and swayed sideways from the fence ears flashing wildly, same time I slide on my belly back down the fence.

Yeesh that was a fright. We both reached exactly the same point at exactly the same time.

Nice elephant wow and Im always looking for him when ever Im in the Kruger but never seen him again. Think we would recognise each other after that. :lol: I even went back up the bank to watch him go. There is a small bench there but I wouldn't advise anyone to sit on it for very long.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:35 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Last time we were in Kruger we were looking for parking at the shop in Satara when a lady started creeping towards our car staring at something which we thought was on the ground in front of our car, we thought oh dear maybe a snake.She then whipped out her camera and started taking pics in front of our car, I got out to see what she was doing and asked her what was there, she pointed at our number plate and said Cheetah, I then realized our free state number plate had a Cheetah on it, shame she must have been very hard up to see a cheetah :lol: :lol: :lol: was very amusing.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:52 am 

Carol g wrote:
..........number plate had a Cheetah on it, shame she must have been very hard up to see a cheetah :lol: :lol: :lol: was very amusing.

ha ha ha. This explains the one Italian tourist we saw. We were driving along when suddenly there appears a woman in the road waving her arms madly at us camera at the ready.

Cheeeetha! Cheeetcha she screams pointing into the long grass. She had abandoed her vehicle in excitment. Our jaws just dropped, thankfully it was a cheetah and not a lion.

We couldn't see the thing and there's a surprise. :lol: it was probaly in shock.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next