Skip to Content

Animal sounds at night

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
saraf

Re: Where are the magical night sounds

Unread postby saraf » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:28 pm

Mopani. Get one of the cottages with a view of the dam, you'll at least get the hippo noises. And early mornings are magical watching everything wake up.

But breeding season is almost over so that may account for some of the noiselessness.
Nominations are now open for the Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2015

RondaGreen

Re: Animal sounds at night

Unread postby RondaGreen » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:54 pm

I'll be almost two weeks in KNP in June. Does the cold of winter inhibit the animals much, or am I still likely to hear some calls at night? I'll be at Skukuza, Tamboti, Satara, Pretoriuskop and Lower Sabie. btw I thought baboons were strictly diurnal, but I see comments about them making noises at night, and I've heard some inhabit the camp at Tamboti: am I likely to meet any on my way to the facilities at night?
For half a century I looked for an excuse to visit Africa and finally said to my son "Let's just go." Never regretted it, and about to return for my third trip to Kruger.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:01 pm

Rhonda, you will still definitely hear animal sounds and calls at night, Hyena, Lion roars, Owls, Bushbabies, all sorts of sounds.
I wouldn't worry about Baboons being out and about during the night, they would be staying safe in their trees, altho could still occasionally call if they hear or see something that concerns them.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

RondaGreen

Unread postby RondaGreen » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:56 pm

Sounds great! I expect the nights will be long and cold in June, but I'll look forward to listening to the calls while well rugged up.
For half a century I looked for an excuse to visit Africa and finally said to my son "Let's just go." Never regretted it, and about to return for my third trip to Kruger.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:02 pm

The thinner your walls, the greater the chance of hearing sounds. I was in Mountain Zebra NP this week and heard the spotted eagle owl at 5h45!
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Friedrich von Hörsten » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:23 pm

Surprisingly, in December last year, we had the most chilling sounds (not at Tamboti or Croc Bridge) at Skukuza, of all places. A pack of hyenas grabbed an impala against the fence at the safari tents, and screamed, howled and giggled for at least 20 minutes on and off right next to the fence... scary stuff!
Wish I had a good recording of it to play on my next photography tour so the school kids can eperience it too, lol!
God bless,
Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

Return to “Kruger National Park”